Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2016, 02:48 PM

Cheap(?) Chinese DT lockring tool

Has anyone tried one of these? There are suddenly a bunch for sale, different sellers but same factory I'm sure. The price is right, compared to the insane amount for the DT made tool.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/222260871570?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (50.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 PM

Honestly that thing looks even better than stuff Park sells. Park quality is going south every year IMO.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Honestly that thing looks even better than stuff Park sells. Park quality is going south every year IMO.
It's not like its a tool that you'll be using everyday, maybe not even every few years. But the lockring can take a fair amount of force to remove from a 240 hub from what I remember. Would hate to see the tool crumble under the force.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=Robbos;2075407]Has anyone tried one of these? There are suddenly a bunch for sale, different sellers but same factory I'm sure. The price is right, compared to the insane amount for the DT made tool.
[url

No idea but breaking this tool and maybe breaking the hub ratchet, then not being able to get it out....may be an 'issue'. Yup, about 1/3 of the $ of the DT tool, but 'in the grand scheme of things'...I'd get(and my shop had) the DT one.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:31 AM

No idea but breaking this tool and maybe breaking the hub ratchet, then not being able to get it out....may be an 'issue'. Yup, about 1/3 of the $ of the DT tool, but 'in the grand scheme of things'...I'd get(and my shop had) the DT one.[/QUOTE]

Local bike shops charge around $200+ as cost is $130 Can. The other thing is that in this big old greasy city, I have yet to find a shop that has the tool. Go figure. But I also had the same queasy feeling about the risk of failure. Maybe I'll buy it and send the bill to the Paceline Consumer Report with my test results.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:51 AM

It's interesting how so many obscure items are appearing for sale on eBay from Chinese sellers. Which reminds me that I need to buy another set of the Speedplay cleat protectors for $4.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:55 AM

You get what you pay for...

Can't speak to this particular item but I learned my lesson the hard way with a cheapo crank extractor.
Unfortunately, I assumed that if it screws in easily (i.e. feels right) and engages without play it should work. Man was I wrong...
Ruined several cranks before I realized it can't be that I am the only one with stuck cranks.
Bit the bullet and got the expensive Campagnolo one, not a single problem since...

This said, I am with OP on this one, expensive but also once in a lifetime purchase.
On top of it, those kind of tools are easy to re-sell and you probably get most of the money back if you ever decide that you don't need it anymore.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-13-2016, 01:51 PM

China has no copyright laws, so they will copy anything and everything. What you need to think is "why is it cheap". Would you buy Kampagnoolo because it was $200 or Doora Ace for $300? I've seen replica Specialized Team Carbon frames that look spot on for $400 on eBay, what made them stand out was Specialized never made those frames in the sizes they were selling. They even copy the ear pieces and filament on stethoscopes, so next time you are at the doctors and he says everything is fine how can you be sure it's proper parts they use. The more you buy the more they fake.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbos View Post
No idea but breaking this tool and maybe breaking the hub ratchet, then not being able to get it out....may be an 'issue'. Yup, about 1/3 of the $ of the DT tool, but 'in the grand scheme of things'...I'd get(and my shop had) the DT one.
Local bike shops charge around $200+ as cost is $130 Can. [/QUOTE]

About $65-$70USD is what I see..wholesale is $48.40 from QBP. For just the ratchet ring tool.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
China has no copyright laws
China is in WIPO.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Local bike shops charge around $200+ as cost is $130 Can.
About $65-$70USD is what I see..wholesale is $48.40 from QBP. For just the ratchet ring tool.[/QUOTE]

I checked and stand corrected. From distributor here it's $55 at cost, so after tax and all around $115. Still not convinced that it should cost that much from a mass produced tool. There's this guy who I believe is making a compatible tool in the US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20161113-185322.jpg (29.9 KB, 32 views)