Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 AM

bro nothing it 's a sunny day and i get to ride ...but I 'm am getting a little older now
cheers
Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
What's the term for not having any language at all?

Other than 'middle management'.
legal department?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 AM

Construction Contract Manager

Prepare and issue formal bids and contracts for the Capital projects at Stony Brook University.

Very interesting being involved in the development of the campus. For all who live on Long Island and read the papers, Southampton & Gyrodyne acquisition especially, keeping me on my toes.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Mufflerman

1. I am the boss
2. I make all the money
3. Helping people with their problems or pointing them in the right direction

Dislikes
1. I work set hours and set days
2. No paid vacations or benefits
3. The ghetto has migrated into my neighborhood
4. The work is hazardous to my health
Old 04-20-2006, 08:10 AM
216-230-19762

My superior:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
- People that gravitated to corporate process and control administration because they can't actually do anything and then they judge how you do your job without comprehending how to do their own job well. They take a necessary role and manage to bugger it hopelessly.
He, he.... Sounds like the people in the administration here.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 AM

Hedge fund general partner

1. I am my own boss
2. Unlimited money making potential
3. When trades go your way, it's the most exhillarating thing imaginable. A similar feeling would be winning the lottery...not because you're lucky but because you did your homework and knew the numbers before they were called.
4. Hours are not crushing, but I do a lot of reading in the evening while my family is hanging out with me in my office.

Dislikes:

1. When you hit a bad patch it feels like the world may come crumbling down. You really have to have a stomach for inconsistency and uneven earnings.

This beats the hell out of practicing law, where I would bill out at $350 an hour, get paid about $70 and make the firm's partners rich off of the difference.

do people work in toronto?
CalfeeFly

Nuked

They terminated me after almost 29 years because I was hurt on the job and didn't heal fast enough for them. Replacing my position was one thing but they totally nuked me from the corporation. I have a house full of awards and such but no job. What have you done for me today seems to prevail way too much these days.

(Just 2 years ago I made them an extra 20 million dollars because all the "smart big bosses" didn't know how to get a product listed successfully without spending a fortune. Nice reward that they gave back to me.)
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 AM

do people work in provo?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:29 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manet
do people work in provo?

only in pairs, or pairs of multiples...
Old 04-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Helianthus annuus

University Professor, Journal Founder, Blahblah

Money Magazine just rated being a college professor the second best job in America. I was hugely relieved. I mean, if this is the _first_ best job then I'd have to think, "you mean this is it?" It would only be more disappointing to find out you lived in the "best place" in America. Then you'd really be in for it. You mean, there really is no place better?

But no complaints save the occasional...errr...frequent disdain for the weather up here in the north country, but that has meant relatively little growth and a slower pace of sprawl, though that too is finally reaching my distant farm. Chagrin abounds.

This is my twentieth year at the University of Rochester and I've never regretted turning down more "prestigious" jobs, which don't pay more, offer greater satisfaction, or grant me as much freedom as I have. When it's hot in this kitchen, it's very hot. When it's calm, which is much of the time, I remain the Duke of my own insignificant Fenwick. As for perception, value, and compensation, I aspire to eccentric genius but will settle for pathetic madman. Keeps away the hall lurkers.

Last year we started Matrika Yoga, look at matrikayoga.com to see our quarterly journal. It's for folks who want to learn and be challenged rather then merely entertained or told further the benefits of stretching in Sanskrit. It's a ton of work but so far, so good.

I spend far too much time travelling this faire country to talk to yoga students, nearly every other weekend, but seeing most of America has relieved me of the grass is always greener notions that can infect our imaginations. In short, I like talking to grown ups as much as I do your children, though I find college students younger and younger every year.

I'm sorta'maybe'kinda' in the bike business but I'm not in for profit, only for fun. I'm happy my friends make a living and find my presence a help (when they do) and useful when that's useful.

Good points:
1. I am master of my own quarterdeck. 'Taint nobody tells me what to say or do. I begin the semester reading aloud HM Royal Navy Articles of War, 1749 as the rules of the classroom.
2. We eat, we pay the bills just fine, but whatever you make you eventually find a way to spend. I will likely never figure out how to retire though I would tomorrow if I could.
3. I finally understand my subject (twenty years from finishing my PhD) well enough to simply enjoy it. Sanskrit is like bike racing: it never gets easier, it just goes faster (LeMond).

Downside:
1. People think I don't work but I suppose that's not really my problem.
2. I am PeterPrincipled: this is it. I would NEVER choose to be a Dean or administrator, so this really is it. Get happy, daggnabbit.
3. You ain't gettin' rich but then again I am come in when I like, say what I want, and can't get fired (well, you can, but not in a private University where you do your job...this is a professional place, not a political one).

lucky me, dbrk

Last edited by dbrk; 04-20-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrk
Money Magazine just rated being a college professor the second best job in America. I was hugely relieved. <snipped>
this post is why i love this guy and why i practically
followed him here when it was the phorum. dbrk is
a treasure atmo. sorry pal if that makes you blush;
after all - red is good.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 AM

unbeatable gig.
sell bike sh$^%$t...some of it really good ( according to the ads, anyway...sorry )
talk bikes all the time.
tour some summers.
despite the preponderance of crackpots* in this tiny bicycle business...
it feels like home to me.

* not me, i am sane
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
this post is why i love this guy and why i practically
followed him here when it was the phorum. dbrk is
a treasure atmo. sorry pal if that makes you blush;
after all - red is good.
Word (perhaps it IS the initials). Douglas played a big part in my introduction to nice bikes and we hung out together for some time in IBOB land (and on too rare an occasion, in person), where we both still visit on occasion. I didn't follow him here, but when I stumbled into this joint a few years ago and saw he was here, that was enough to know it was worth checking out. And I still hang around the edges. "Duke of my own insignificant Fenwick" - have to remember that one - just another in a long line of great dbrk lines.

-Ray
Old 04-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Campy or Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep
unbeatable gig.
sell bike sh$^%$t...some of it really good ( according to the ads, anyway...sorry )
talk bikes all the time.
tour some summers.
despite the preponderance of crackpots* in this tiny bicycle business...
it feels like home to me.

* not me, i am sane
My job: Bike Shop Owner

Likes, all that stevep says.

Dislikes, being pressured by suppliers to buy more from them and to ef the other distributer (not you stevep, think of that bike company in Wisconsin that wants to be a P&A supplier too).