Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 03:38 PM

Selle San Marco Regal Evo vs. old style Regal

It's 2020, and although the Regal is still just fine for me, I'm interested in hearing experienced opinions about the Selle San Marco Regal Evo saddle, especially from those who have favorable opinions of the older Regal saddles.

The weight reduction alone of the newer model is not enough reason for me to buy the Evo, but the fact that I can't seem to just click a mouse button and have as many fresh copies of the older Regal arrive at my doorstep is enough.

Additionally, if anyone is left with some excess decent examples of the older Regal and Regal Ti, let me know if you're ready to offload them.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:05 PM

The Evo has very little padding.

The new Regale doesn't have as much padding as the older Regal. I love the older saddles, but I can't ride the new ones unless I'm wearing a thickly padded short.

And BTW, I've found that the newer production Regal saddles had less padding than the older ones, too, even though they look the same. Hard under the butt.

I've given up on these Regal(e) saddles.

The Fabric Radius is my new favorite for a readily available, inexpensive and good saddle.

Ed.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:46 PM

I also believe that the new Regals don't have the padding, and comfort, of the classic Regals. The Girardis were the bomb. I had a few that I horded, and then punted when I settled on a C17. No experience with the Evo regal.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:00 PM

I have one of the old ones. It´s heavy but the best saddle to ride on cobblestones since it isolates your butt from everything.
It also seems to move you forward as if the seat angle was steeper.
Now i ride on the Flite which is very comfortable and much lighter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinarellosaddle.jpg (106.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:53 PM

What others have said, the newer ones are hard on the butt and the shape is not the same.
I have a few of the old regals and love them. I have one that I trimmed the side skirt a bit.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 PM

I prefer the new ones to the original. I am trying out a Bontrager Serano that feels pretty similar so far, maybe a touch more give in the base. Not sure if I will stick with it for the long haul.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:33 AM

I’ve used the same Regal for many years (20+) until recently where I switched to a Fizik Aliante, but not due to fit but wanting something lighter and I sold my Merlin Cyrene...

I’ll most likely put the Regal back on soon as there hasn’t been a saddle to date other than a Rolls that really compares. I have half a dozen saved and several Titanium versions but they have less padding so just don’t feel the same...

I’m unable to offer any advice on the Evo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E12ECFF7-175F-40BD-AEC4-EDA4E37D0CFA.jpeg (132.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 05:50 AM

I've ridden the Regale, not sure that is the same as the new Regal Evo. I've been riding Regal saddles for over 25 years and the Regale wasn't even close. It wasn't just the padding. I think the shape in the center, where the Regal gives a bit of relief from pressure, was different and I felt a bit more pressure on the prostate area. I'm sticking with my Regal. And, if weight is a concern for you Regal riders, just get one with ti rails and you'll be amazed how that cuts .1 seconds from your toughest climb.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:42 PM

Thank you

Thanks to everyone for sharing your impressions. A lot of what's been said mirrors my own impressions of the newer Regal(e)s.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
I've ridden the Regale, not sure that is the same as the new Regal Evo. I've been riding Regal saddles for over 25 years and the Regale wasn't even close. It wasn't just the padding. I think the shape in the center, where the Regal gives a bit of relief from pressure, was different and I felt a bit more pressure on the prostate area. I'm sticking with my Regal. And, if weight is a concern for you Regal riders, just get one with ti rails and you'll be amazed how that cuts .1 seconds from your toughest climb.
Think I’d be more than happy to lose a few seconds in favor of the regular steel Regal over the Ti version. 😉
Old 02-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Old style Regals on all my bikes except the MTB which has a Max Flite. I have two NOS Regals on the shelf. Back in the day when I was a skinny racer, I used Turbomatics but my late season, the leather around the nose was either worn through or peeled back. I finished up a few seasons with the nose taped up. I have yet to wear out the leather on a Regal. I got an old white Regal from Todd that I put on the Ti Serotta. A few years ago I thought it was in its last days, jokes on me. It looks rough but is totally serviceable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regal.jpg (77.5 KB, 59 views)