Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 09:06 PM

I was using the KMC link with my Campy SR chain np for a season. Now running the Red Flat top chain and link with Campy rings and DA cassette with np so far but did switch from Campy shifters to Sram Red AXS.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
It’s possible that Dave is more discerning than I, but I’ve been using Eagle links on Campy chains for the life of my groupset (>15k miles) and have no complaints.

The specific problem is the radius of the eagle link that fits against the recess on the inner chain link is too large. The YBN link fits properly.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:39 AM

Campy chain with YBN connector here as well - no issues
Old 01-30-2023, 10:50 AM

Always used Campy chains with Campy drivetrains in the past and recently put on a KMC 12 speed chain. It's slowly getting a bit louder but nothing crazy.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:35 AM

I have used a Shimano 12sp chain on a 12sp Record group. It was perhaps a little noisier, but there were no significant issues. I've also used the AXS Eagle quick links on a Campag chain; again, no issues (notwithstanding the doubtless correct claims about the link not truly fitting perfectly).

It's worth noting Campag's explicit position that using their groupsets with a non-Campag chain invalidates the warranty on the whole groupset.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
It's worth noting Campag's explicit position that using their groupsets with a non-Campag chain invalidates the warranty on the whole groupset.
What!
Old 01-30-2023, 12:42 PM

Hasn't this topic been solved -- ie. use a Campy chain and campy compatible quicklink?
Old 01-30-2023, 12:43 PM

I remember a few years ago the German magazine, TOUR, published a test looking at all chains with regard to durability, smoothness, etc. The top chain was Campy Chorus (even better than SR). I just bought two new Chorus 12 sp chains for $30 each. Why mess with anything else?
Old 01-30-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkl View Post
What!
Yup, at least in theory. Graeme might be on to clarify, and whether or not they would a) carry that through or b) ever know is decidedly doubtful, but on paper at least, that's the position.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:36 PM
#RYFB

Back to report experience somewhat at odds with others.

After 3 Campy chains (2 Chorus, 1 SR), each yielding close to 5k miles, I decided to try a SRAM flattop given the glowing reviews here.

I have over 600 miles on the chain and, while I don't notice any difference in the rear shifting, the front is not working well at all. I have repeatedly adjusted, checked, and double checked the FD height, alignment, cable tension, and limits. If I'm delicate in applying the shift to the big chainring I can generally make it work, but if not then the chain will ride next to the big chainring and not engage, and I have to move the FD inboard and try again.

I'm not holding myself out as an expert mechanic but the front shifting worked perfectly before and the chain is the only change. I'm going back to Campy.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Back to report experience somewhat at odds with others.

After 3 Campy chains (2 Chorus, 1 SR), each yielding close to 5k miles, I decided to try a SRAM flattop given the glowing reviews here.

I have over 600 miles on the chain and, while I don't notice any difference in the rear shifting, the front is not working well at all. I have repeatedly adjusted, checked, and double checked the FD height, alignment, cable tension, and limits. If I'm delicate in applying the shift to the big chainring I can generally make it work, but if not then the chain will ride next to the big chainring and not engage, and I have to move the FD inboard and try again.

I'm not holding myself out as an expert mechanic but the front shifting worked perfectly before and the chain is the only change. I'm going back to Campy.
Particularly since the Campag ones are about the same $...
Old 05-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Huffing Mastik

KMC 12 speed links work fine with Campy 12 speed SR chains - the simplest solution IMO. I've been using KMC or Wipperman quick links on Campy 10, 11, and 12 speed chains for about 23 years / over 100k miles total - about 15,000 of these miles on 12 speed. I'm a Campy zealot for the road, but their chain closure systems and tools have been overly complicated and not as reliable as a quick link.