Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 06:20 AM

My wife has one of their jerseys, and it is very nice. Bought it on super closeout and still probably her most expensive jersey......

Which speaks to why this doesn't really surprise me. They only made women's cycling clothing. So already have only a fraction of their possible market. Then only high end clothing....then a focus on plus sizing.....how many people in this niche of a niche of a niche are going to want to spend $120 on a jersey and $180 on bibs....And be into cycling enough to find this tiny brand...

Maybe the only thing I could blame Specialized for is not helping them realize that they have to widen their target market.

Look at Velocio. They offer mens and womens, a range of price points, extended sizes, and has much broader brand recognition. They are owned by Sram by the way.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
My wife has one of their jerseys, and it is very nice. Bought it on super closeout and still probably her most expensive jersey......

Which speaks to why this doesn't really surprise me. They only made women's cycling clothing. So already have only a fraction of their possible market. Then only high end clothing....then a focus on plus sizing.....how many people in this niche of a niche of a niche are going to want to spend $120 on a jersey and $180 on bibs....And be into cycling enough to find this tiny brand...

Maybe the only thing I could blame Specialized for is not helping them realize that they have to widen their target market.

Look at Velocio. They offer mens and womens, a range of price points, extended sizes, and has much broader brand recognition. They are owned by Sram by the way.
Would you rather be everything to a few or nothing to everyone?

There are a seemingly endless number of brands that make kit for men and women. A promise of female-first is a key differentiator, and one that did get traction.

Whether or not it was enough traction for an organisation like Specialized to justify the effort, maybe not.

The thing about business is that you have limited resources - capital, people, time - and you have to make decisions about where to best spend those resources for the most gain.

Specialized stepping away from it does not mean it wasn't profitable. It just means it's a more profitable use of their resources to sell a Crux with Rival AXS for USD6,200 than a set of bibs for USD250.

But make no mistake. A small slice of a huge market is still a big market.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
Would you rather be everything to a few or nothing to everyone?
Those aren't the only 2 choices.

Quote:

Whether or not it was enough traction for an organisation like Specialized to justify the effort, maybe not.

The thing about business is that you have limited resources - capital, people, time - and you have to make decisions about where to best spend those resources for the most gain.

Specialized stepping away from it does not mean it wasn't profitable. It just means it's a more profitable use of their resources to sell a Crux with Rival AXS for USD6,200 than a set of bibs for USD250.
I think we can guess it wasn't worth the investment and/or not enough traction. Cause Specialized seems to be willing to invest in selling bikes and every possible related accessory.

Quote:

But make no mistake. A small slice of a huge market is still a big market.
Annnnnd you missed the point completely - my guess is that they sliced the market too many ways and it just wasn't big enough. If it was, there would be other players doing the same.