Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Excel?
Interesting. They seem to sell Campagnolo again. For a period of time they didn’t. Still have to piece together a groupset but that’s no huge deal.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
Was anyone else wondering what these Dura Ace 10s DT shifters would fetch? Seems like the hoarding is well underway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275633734182
Are DT shifters a thing now? I saw a beautiful Speedvagen with DA DT group on Instagram. I need to try it.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I heard from a reliable source that Rene Herse is working on electronic shifting that uses vacuum tubes. Because, ya know, it's more analog.
I don’t know if this is satire or real????
Old 01-28-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Speaking of this…

Where does one get Campagnolo online from a reputable US source? It appears Colorado Cyclist has massively downsized their offerings and it was confusing before anyway; not full groups but sort of piecemeal, seeing what was available.

I can go to my favorite brick and mortar store but that is now hundreds of miles away. I may still just pick up the phone.

A Record or SR order isn’t out of the question. But only mechanical and rim brakes because that’s what my current fleet accepts.

Not interested in gray market and likely not interested in offshore ordering for a few reasons.
Velomine and Texas Cyclesport for starters.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...dc9766rl28qe65

https://www.texascyclesport.com/grou...ade-kits-road/
Old 01-28-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybanana86 View Post
Are DT shifters a thing now? I saw a beautiful Speedvagen with DA DT group on Instagram. I need to try it.
Down tube shifters have always been a thing.
Down tube shifters will always be a thing.
Watch this space.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:44 PM
Deconditioned!

As the OP, who has been at this bike game for a somewhat reasonable amount of time, I think the near term future will shift (ha ha) things. Yes, there's a good supply of 10s and 11s stuff about even though the Campy/Shimano have move on from those groups for their higher end groups.

HOWEVER, what I'm thinking about is that when mech and rim brake groups are finally announced to be discontinued, then it'll be a bit of a frenzy. Lol. A frenzy by the 27 peeps here. The rest of the bike world won't even notice.

But when that day does come (end of production), I think it'll be a bit different than when the manufacturers simply moved onto the next generation.

This generation of mech/rim stuff is very likely the last generation. Forever. And no, I'm not interested in putting Microshift (nothing wrong with it at all) on my Peg. That's like Payless shoes on an NBA all star.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:08 PM
Administrator

you're not wrong for asking this question, and I agree that this is different than ending 9 or 10 or 11 speed. Previously if you're tired 10sp group was in need of replacement, you went to 11 or 12, no big deal. The newest groups are made for hubs spaced differently, hydro brakes and potentially non mech shifting. Not a chapter change, but a book change.

I'd agree that there are thousands of pegorettis and other classically built iconically great frames that deserve a top tier group and they will soon be unavailable new.

No great answers, but we can only hope campag keeps a mid tier rim brake mech group alive in production for the long term.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:44 PM

How many pegorettis did the op buy last month?

Just buy two groups and 6-8 rims of choice and put em on the shelf if you’re actually worried about it.

My opinion - you’ll be able to find used parts for a good long while and be fine. If I were to stockpile anything it would be chains/chainrings and cassettes. By the time the used or nos parts supply all dries up you’ll probably be ready to move on to something else or not riding all that much so it really doesn’t matter.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
My main road bike has caliper brakes and 32mm tires. I designed it to handle that and built it in a class that's how much I wanted such a bike. I would have otherwise chosen a frame that could do the same- road geometry, 22mm tire, caliper brake.

It answered the question I had and solved the problem I had.

I could fit a 35mm and even larger, but don't have the desire. 32mm is the middle porridge for me.
In terms of the 'ride', what does this 32mm tire 'do' that say a 28mm tire 'won't do?
BTW-My Moots, caliper brakes, handle 28mm tires just fine. I have ridden bikes(on the road) with 32mm tires and if I didn't know that, I wouldn't have known that. I remember they felt sluggish(Conti...yes, yes, I know).

Too often the stated choice is '32mm tires 'or '23mm(22mm?) tires and for a lot of frames, a 28mm is the 'middle porridge'.

BUT, for a 'road' bike, ->IMHO<-, bigger, fatter, rims, tires, etc is overblown in terms of ride performance.->IMHO<-
Old 01-29-2023, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Speaking of this…

Where does one get Campagnolo online from a reputable US source? It appears Colorado Cyclist has massively downsized their offerings and it was confusing before anyway; not full groups but sort of piecemeal, seeing what was available.

I can go to my favorite brick and mortar store but that is now hundreds of miles away. I may still just pick up the phone.

A Record or SR order isn’t out of the question. But only mechanical and rim brakes because that’s what my current fleet accepts.

Not interested in gray market and likely not interested in offshore ordering for a few reasons.
Why does it have to be a more 'normal' online source? If ya know what ya want, call a bike shop, order and have them send it to you. I know Vecchio's would do that.
From above and for the OP...
Quote:
But when that day does come (end of production), I think it'll be a bit different than when the manufacturers simply moved onto the next generation.
As an example. Campagnolo has been making 'wheelsouttaboxes' for almost 30 years..8s Shamal, Vento, etc...They really got into it for 9s(1997), 10s(2000), 11s(2009), and today. Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheel product and sales are HUGE. BUT...they just now stopped making Record hubsets..even tho 'wheels' have been their gig for a long, long time. So....Plus lots of inter compatibility between Campag, 9s, 10s, 11s(yes less with 12s and 13s)....

Yer Campagnolo 10s rear mech crump? Get an 11s one(sorry, nein for shimano.....). Plus hubs/wheels 9/10/11/12 and with a FHB/Axle, even 13s, compatible..sorry nein for shimano or sram. . Ain't gonna convert that shimano 10s hub or wheel to 11s....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-29-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:43 AM

The question is not what Campagnolo will be making, but if Campagnolo will be making anything at all.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:49 AM
Steel..what else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Down tube shifters have always been a thing.
Down tube shifters will always be a thing.
Watch this space.
I agree.
Ordered my last custom bike with downtube bosses.
Flexibility.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
The question is not what Campagnolo will be making, but if Campagnolo will be making anything at all.
Big sigh..another 'Campagnolo is goin' out of biz' comment.
Campagnolo is busier than ever. They sell everything they make. Their OE offerings on new bikes is larger than ever. Their factories operate 24/7.....
Old 01-29-2023, 02:42 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Big sigh..another 'Campagnolo is goin' out of biz' comment.
Campagnolo is busier than ever. They sell everything they make. Their OE offerings on new bikes is larger than ever. Their factories operate 24/7.....
I think he means making groups and wheels for rim brakes, not going out of business, but maybe I am worng.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandcomm View Post
I don’t know if this is satire or real????
Of course it's satire. Everyone knows Rene Herse is actually working on steam-powered shifting.