Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 07:17 AM

If manufacturers were interested in rim brakes, they'd be making brakes that can handle 25mm IW rims and 32mm wide tires. Frames should have the same capability.

SRAM still makes electronic shifters for rim brakes. I had two rim brake bikes set up that way, but moved on to disc frames over two years ago. I've got three disc bikes with electronic shifting. Those frames might last as long a my cycling ability holds out. An e-bike would be next. In 5 years, they'll be sorted out.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If manufacturers were interested in rim brakes, they'd be making brakes that can handle 25mm IW rims and 32mm wide tires. Frames should have the same capability.

SRAM still makes electronic shifters for rim brakes.
For that matter, Shimano and Campagnolo make their current/latest electronic shifters with rim brakes as well. Many bemoan that manufacturers are actively trying push disc brakes and discontinue rim brakes. But with all of SRAM and Shimano's latest high end groups electronic shifting oly, it appears that they are trying to eliminate mechanical shifting even faster than the are rim brakes.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:16 AM

Concerns that mechanical, rim brake components and groupsets will soon be phased out appear to be premature, at least for Campagnolo.

https://www.texascyclesport.com/grou...ade-kits-road/

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...86_162_258_593

A visit to a non-corporate, enthusiast focused LBS will typically be a resource in addition to the usual online sites.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

SRAM still makes electronic shifters for rim brakes. I had two rim brake bikes set up that way, but moved on to disc frames over two years ago. I've got three disc bikes with electronic shifting. Those frames might last as long a my cycling ability holds out. An e-bike would be next. In 5 years, they'll be sorted out.
For a road bike, not a 'GRoad bike, 32mm tires answer no question, solve no problem. Makers make disc brake 32mm tired bikes because that's what the market calls for. Whether or not the rider 'asked' for it, or the 'industry' created that demand is up for argument(I think the later).
Disc brakes for a road bike is marketing and has been beaten to death in other threads. If ya like disc brakes, groovy but firmly in the 'nice to have' but not 'essential' category.

Does sram make mechanical shifters for rim brakes?/ Road stuff?
Don think so...
Old 01-28-2023, 09:16 AM

I think that 200 pound riders would really like 32mm tires for the road if they could try them.

I weigh around 135 and used 30mm with 23mm IW rims last year.

My newest 25mm IW rims with 28mm tires run about the same pressure as 32mm for a 200 pound rider 52/55psi.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:37 AM

Were many 10-11 speed bikes bought that end up just hanging or banging around in garages like 6 and 7 speed bikes were? If so don't worry because you will be able to buy parts bikes and other folk will be parting out scavenged bikes.

If you insist on Dura Ace and Record parts, it isn't now and won't ever be cheap.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I heard from a reliable source that Rene Herse is working on electronic shifting that uses vacuum tubes. Because, ya know, it's more analog.
Ah, yes... the warmer and more natural feeling of a tube shifting system than a solid state shifting system. I'm in.

I was just thinking the other day that Di2 is a little too Randall RG100ES, and it seems that the Herse system will give me the JCM 800 Lead Series shifting feeling I'm looking for. NOS preferred of course, but I could deal with Sovteks if necessary.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:28 AM

I have in the drawer:
- a pair of 9100 shifters to replace the ones on the Firefly
- a pair of 8020 shifters to replace the ones on the Bingham
- an R8000 rear derailleur as a spare for three bikes that run either DA or Ultegra
- several HG800 11-34 cassettes, on three bikes

I'm not worried about chains, brake calipers, pads, front derailleurs. The parts in the drawer are the items most likely to get ruined in a crash, or wear out.

I have mostly Dura Ace on the FF and Bingham but won't commit hara kiri if those bits get replaced down the road with Ultegra.

The hardest item to find right now for me is a 44T large chainring for SRAM XX double spider with a 120 BCD. Peter White has in a TA and I'll probably buy that.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:34 AM

don't think there is any need to panic...hell, I still do all 9 speed stuff on my 6 bikes...all will be fine...if not, you will find a way to cope...
Old 01-28-2023, 11:42 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
For a road bike, not a 'GRoad bike, 32mm tires answer no question, solve no problem. Makers make disc brake 32mm tired bikes because that's what the market calls for. Whether or not the rider 'asked' for it, or the 'industry' created that demand is up for argument(I think the later).
Disc brakes for a road bike is marketing and has been beaten to death in other threads. If ya like disc brakes, groovy but firmly in the 'nice to have' but not 'essential' category.

Does sram make mechanical shifters for rim brakes?/ Road stuff?
Don think so...
My main road bike has caliper brakes and 32mm tires. I designed it to handle that and built it in a class that's how much I wanted such a bike. I would have otherwise chosen a frame that could do the same- road geometry, 22mm tire, caliper brake.

It answered the question I had and solved the problem I had.

I could fit a 35mm and even larger, but don't have the desire. 32mm is the middle porridge for me.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:03 PM

I also think there is no need to panic.

Although I do like to have things like spare cables etc I have not started worrying about whole group sets

Also one other thing that seems to be coming is the Chinese groups.
I have not really followed but it seems when I look those couple of groupset makers have been making strides & their prices are still crazy low

I think anytime a spot that actually still has demand opens due to things like Shimano only offering electric etc
some enterprising group will quickly fill that void as there is still money to be made. (Again if demand exists)
Old 01-28-2023, 01:08 PM
commuter racer

I have a stash of 10 and 11 speed stuff and a bunch of wheels.. I need to move and am thinking of downsizing the wheels ( anyone need silver fulcrum 1's?) as they take up more space. IMho Wheels wear out long before parts if you ride in the rain or do cross etc. There is so much 10 speed stuff all over the place and used wheels on ebay, I don't think it will be that hard to find things over the next ten years etc. especially with Paceline and ebay.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:40 PM

I’m definitely starting to build a stockpile of 9100 mechanical parts to keep things going for another 10 years. Glad to see I’m not alone in that.

Oddly, both Shimano (GRX) and Campy (Ekar) currently sell a lot of mechanical groups. It is just pure road that was dropped.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:06 PM

Speaking of this…

Where does one get Campagnolo online from a reputable US source? It appears Colorado Cyclist has massively downsized their offerings and it was confusing before anyway; not full groups but sort of piecemeal, seeing what was available.

I can go to my favorite brick and mortar store but that is now hundreds of miles away. I may still just pick up the phone.

A Record or SR order isn’t out of the question. But only mechanical and rim brakes because that’s what my current fleet accepts.

Not interested in gray market and likely not interested in offshore ordering for a few reasons.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Speaking of this…

Where does one get Campagnolo online from a reputable US source?
Excel?