Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2023, 02:54 PM

Hockey as Cross Training

Today, I skated for the first time in 30 years. It was an open ice session, and I just messed around for an hour. I think it went better than expected, but my abs are killing me. Any other hockey players here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hockey.jpg (83.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 01-27-2023, 03:02 PM

I played twice a week in a men's league until I was about 55. Then I changed jobs and we moved...

It's a great sport and a wonderful way to blow off some steam.

Note: my stickhandling skills hadn't gotten better after 30 years of neglect.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-27-2023, 03:05 PM

I played goalie for a long time, but haven’t played in a long time now. I do miss it, but I don’t think the knees would hold up anymore. The last time I went to an open skate I was amazed how many skills I had lost, but they started to come back somewhat quickly. I was hoping to take my 5 yo to skating lessons this winter but didn’t sign up in time.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Today, I skated for the first time in 30 years. It was an open ice session, and I just messed around for an hour. I think it went better than expected, but my abs are killing me. Any other hockey players here?
Great photo! Suave as usual
Old 01-27-2023, 03:21 PM

Gosh it's been 30 years for me too but growing up in New England it was hockey every day after school on the local ponds. I never did actually play organized hockey though. My guess is it's quite good cross training.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:22 PM

I dont play hockey at all, but I did play competitive basketball in college (Canada though, so you know) and tapered off once life got in the way.

I now coach both my kids teams and I get an utter charge being out on the court running around, setting up plays for these little punks. Doing sports that seem the game of younger folks is great for the soul. Aside from cycling, it is the only thing that I mightve hit the 10,000hrs rule on (and I probably didnt even manage that), but I can still pick up a basketball and after a few shots, start hitting threes. The kids are impressed!

Its cool to see you out on the ice - now lets see some action shots of sheets of ice coming up as you come to a stop!
Old 01-27-2023, 03:35 PM

I never played hockey more than the neighborhood games. I did a lot of ice skating on hockey skates. The skating I have done as adult was mostly on an indoor rink at a hotel I once worked at. I skated for free while an employee, still for a couple years after I left there. I was primarily doing laps, but could do more free skating when others were not there. For me, doing that, it was quite similar to riding a bike, very meditative, at times. Great exercise for the legs and balance.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:14 PM

I played a couple times a week until work travel interfered. Was great cross training for BMX same kind of quick recovery needed, would probably help in mid ride recovery from hills/harder efforts as well. Have fun!
Old 01-27-2023, 06:20 PM

Now "retired" hockey player - began playing around age 6, never stopped until my early 50s (20+ years of playing in two different men's leagues that led to two games a week). Eventually, the late nights (9pm and 10:45 start times) and nagging injuries tipped me to stopping.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

In a related matter, does anyone still do rollerblading for aerobic exercise, and if so 1) How easy / hard is it to learn, and 2) By the looks of it it shouldn't be too hard on the knees, is that correct?

(I haven't been on roller skates - the "normal," non-inline kind - in over 40 years, and have never been on inline skates.)
Old 01-27-2023, 07:02 PM

I grew up playing pick up hockey at parks near my house with friends. It is a great pick up game, as usually the good players find ways to include kids and less skilled. In high school we were lucky to play with a Minnesota Wild player.

As an adult, my best friend and his dad donated extra gear to me, and I joined their hockey team, aptly names Shame on Ice. I find it to be great exercise for me, skating really hard for a minute, then resting for two. We have our annual pond hockey tournament tomorrow, temperature high is 7 degrees!
Old 01-27-2023, 07:02 PM

Still play 2-3 times a week (helps when a lifelong buddy runs the rink for a nearby private school) and it’s one of the best sports you can play non/ competitively. That being said it’s almost completely anaerobic so doesn’t really help with improving your cycling lungs too much.

Seriously, just joining a beer league is insanely awesome and you can play in one nearly forever. Nowhere near as hard on the joints as other team sports, as long as you’re not getting into too many compromising positions.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:26 PM

Not a hockey player, but I skate every weekend with my short track speed skating club. I love it and it’s great cross training! Photo from last year when our club was visited by two members of the US national team, Kristen Santos and Julie Letai.
Sometimes when the conditions are right I get out and enjoy some wild ice with my Nordic blades. https://youtu.be/2hJHgJlRnPc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64CD4F46-8696-4C9F-8B47-069C749DF9A8.jpg (82.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 01-28-2023, 05:23 AM

I played two days a week as an adult for about 20 years as well as coached two boys for 12 during that time. On the ice 5-6 days per week. What was funny was I played my best hockey during outdoor riding season! Had to stop about 8 years ago due to a couple of bad concussions. I miss it, great for leg and glute strength. And just fun.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:30 AM

Yes, hockey guy here. Played a full NCAA career. Dabbled in the professional game. Now, I only put on the pads for special occasions (I play in the USA Hockey Nationals in Tier 1, 50+/ex college or professional). Spend my time coaching 18U and working with elite and professional players as a skills coach with a Swedish company.