Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2023, 11:23 AM

Given your last post saying that you are consistently "fussing with" your fit, go get a fit. That's generally a good idea. I scanned the last two pages and only saw the words overuse and spring knee once, and then LOTS of drastic changes. Did you take a break over the holiday? You might just be overdoing it and taking it easy for a few weeks will get you back to normal. Taking it easy is free btw. I remember personally freaking out about the kind of pain you mentioned and thinking of doing any and all of the above (even switching pedals-gasp!). I think it was this same forum that told me to take it easy and see what happens. The pain went away and yes it does show up every once in a while if I have an enthusiastic week.

TL;DR - Take it easy for a week and see what happens but also, with your tinkering, go get a fit! The fit will improve all kinds of other parts of your riding!
Old 01-13-2023, 11:21 AM

Just an update here. Saw the ortho yesterday and he after touching/moving my leg around and asking questions, he said it seems like regular cartilage wear and not a meniscus. But he agreed to put in an order for an MRI anyway just to be sure. So we will see in a few weeks!
Old 01-28-2023, 03:51 PM

results are in! got an MRI and it confirmed i have a small meniscus tear that will need surgery if i ever want to be done with it.

i really dont like going under... mainly because of getting an IV(gross) and then eventually getting stitches out(grosser)

So I might just wait on it and see if it doesnt get worse! At least till next winter so i have plenty of time to spend inside and dont feel like im missing out on nice Spring riding!
Old 01-28-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
results are in! got an MRI and it confirmed i have a small meniscus tear that will need surgery if i ever want to be done with it.

i really dont like going under... mainly because of getting an IV(gross) and then eventually getting stitches out(grosser)

So I might just wait on it and see if it doesnt get worse! At least till next winter so i have plenty of time to spend inside and dont feel like im missing out on nice Spring riding!
I had a torn meniscus that didn't seem "that bad" and I delayed getting an MRI for a proper diagnosis. When I finally got it repaired I had roughed up the bone surfaces the meniscus is supposed to protect. My recovery was rather long and uncomfortable but all was well in the end.

The first time I played tennis after rehab I tore the other meniscus. Lucky for me my orthopod/tennis pal was playing on the adjacent court so I called over that I had just torn my other knee and he said "You're lucky, because I just had a cancellation for Tuesday so I can do you right away." The recovery of the second one was much faster and less painful, probably because I didn't keep playing and grinding on a torn meniscus. If it's torn get it fixed ASAP and take it easy until you either find out it's not torn or you have it fixed.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I had a torn meniscus that didn't seem "that bad" and I delayed getting an MRI for a proper diagnosis. When I finally got it repaired I had roughed up the bone surfaces the meniscus is supposed to protect. My recovery was rather long and uncomfortable but all was well in the end.

The first time I played tennis after rehab I tore the other meniscus. Lucky for me my orthopod/tennis pal was playing on the adjacent court so I called over that I had just torn my other knee and he said "You're lucky, because I just had a cancellation for Tuesday so I can do you right away." The recovery of the second one was much faster and less painful, probably because I didn't keep playing and grinding on a torn meniscus. If it's torn get it fixed ASAP and take it easy until you either find out it's not torn or you have it fixed.
Thanks for your input.. These things are a pain and seem to tear so easily.. Maybe ill find out if the surgeon im seeing has any openings relatively soon so I can maybe be ready in time for spring. He says 4-6 weeks recover, which isnt bad.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I had meniscus surgery on both knees over 20 years ago. I gave up tennis and I almost never even get a twinge these days BUT-------About 12 years ago I bought a lovely Serotta Legend that had 180mm cranks rather than my usual 170; 172.5; and 175mm cranks. At first I was thrilled how I could muscle up hills in higher gears so I did that a lot. But after a while I started getting the kind of pain behind the patella you described so I went back to downshifting even when I didn't "need" to for a given climb. I think too-long cranks can cause knee pain just because they require more flexion of the joint and the pain can get worse if a rider revels in the extra leverage and becomes a big gear masher. I can extrapolate from too-long cranks to too-low saddle because they both cause too much flexion.
I've experienced this too. I prefer longer cranks for the added leverage up steep hills, where a small increase in crank length is noticeable. I went from 175 to 172.5 and although I felt it the decrease in leverage on the steepest, of climbs the knee pain went away.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Short memory?

Read what the guy said. “Other” people think the 10cm drop is huge. “He” thinks it’s normal. Sheesh.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:07 AM

Update: The surgeon is booking 4-6 weeks out, so ill probably hold off until December or so. It doesnt sound like the tear will get worse if I wait.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:14 AM

As someone who’s had two repairs and a third indefinitely postponed, I’ll share

Small tears can eventually become non-symptomatic. Don’t be afraid of cancelling surgery if by the scheduled date, you are feeling better. Keeping as much of your meniscus as possible is a good idea.

One thing I didn’t see mentioned is raising or dropping your heel. This alters the angle at the knee and in my case the levels of pain/discomfort.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Read what the guy said. “Other” people think the 10cm drop is huge. “He” thinks it’s normal. Sheesh.
Based on the dozens of times he's mentioned it, he sure seems to think it's a big deal.