Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Mike is a top-shelf builder and if I were buying a Ti bike he'd be on the very short list.

dave
'nuff said.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:02 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Mike is a top-shelf builder and if I were buying a Ti bike he'd be on the very short list.

dave
And you can do worse than visiting Ashland on a sunny day. Order a bike, get a treat, sit in the park by the stream.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddub66 View Post
To the OP, can't wait to see what he builds for you. How long did you wait and did you get a complete bike or just order a frame?
I bought the DeSalvo listed here by eippo1. It should fit like an older Davidson I had, and better than my current Ritchey.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:14 PM

Good logo or not, I’d take a DeSalvo over a Sachs any day

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Hope I don't ruin the taste of your new bike for ya...

I like DeSalvo as a builder, but I think branding plays a huge role in custom bikes. And if you have mediocre logo, it really does lower the perceived value of your bike.

DeSalvo's logo is pretty "meh", imho atmo bbq.

In contrast, Richard Sachs historically collaborated with House Industries and prob has plenty of designers (and racers) helping boost his brand.

Custom frames are in the luxury good niche, and framebuilders such should invest accordingly in branding/aesthetics.

Also, some builders are just incredibly prolific. Paul Sadoff/Rock Lobster puts out ~100 frames a year. There's a greater chance you'll see a used Rock Lobster than say a now-discontinued Rick Hunter.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
Sometimes you sell the item that is easier to sell.
Guitars, amps, bikes....
Good point. I needed to raise the most amount of money to put on a downpayment and the Desalvo was the most expensive bike I owned! I sold it for the money, baby!

Note that Dave Kirk just recommended him for a ti bike - I think that says it all?
Old 12-21-2022, 05:25 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:

I like DeSalvo as a builder, but I think branding plays a huge role in custom bikes. And if you have mediocre logo, it really does lower the perceived value of your bike.

So are you talking about the brand or the actual logo? Yes, the old DeSalvo logo was horrible but so are a number of logos from other brands that are coveted here. That said, DeSalvo's new logo, while not my favorite, is worlds better than the original one.
No matter how talented a frame builder is, they should really consult a great, full-time professional, graphic designer.
Old 12-21-2022, 05:29 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexihnen View Post
Mostly I just want to hear more about DeSalvo bikes.
Looking at Clean's DeSalvo listed in the classified had me dreaming of doing something very stupid yesterday.....

Remembering I have a house re-pipe scheduled in a couple weeks brought me back to my senses.....
Old 12-21-2022, 05:34 PM

Remember custom means custom FOR YOU. Resale, it is no longer custom, just another frame that could be very well built and if you happen to find a match, like custom suit, then would say worth more to the buyer.

I ride 2 customs, Firefly and Alchemy, done, fini,.... They will be handed down or guess sold after I am dirt.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
When I look on his website I am seeing a Ti Frame starting at $2850.
For that level of craftsmanship I think it is a great value.
I would love to have a Firefly or No 22 but cannot justify those prices.
I could order something like a Waltly or XCAD for a much lower price but I would want to go with somebody that has the experience to design a Ti frame that meets my needs.
There is a good chance that I see a DeSalvo in my future.
I think what you're seeing there is pricing after all the marketing overhead and other bull**** is stripped away. FWIW, Paul Sadoff is kinda in a similar vein wrt to keeping a low key, low overhead, and no-nonsense operation. These are guys that build and have been building for eons - for the love of the sport and craft - and predate Radavista nonsense IG hypebeast brands.

I've got my place in Mike's queue and I was also a little surprised at the number of his frames that've come up for sale recently, especially Clean39T's, since it seems like yesterday that he got it. I guess some folks just want a taste of everything that's out there, sample the goods, then move on. Myself? I'm usually extremely intentional with custom frame purchases, cause I view it as a permanent addition.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:20 PM

If i were to get a custom DeSalvo is on my short list.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Remember custom means custom FOR YOU. Resale, it is no longer custom, just another frame that could be very well built and if you happen to find a match, like custom suit, then would say worth more to the buyer.

I ride 2 customs, Firefly and Alchemy, done, fini,.... They will be handed down or guess sold after I am dirt.
Absolutely. Perhaps I'm lucky, or just not picky. I'm of average shape and size and occasionally ride significantly different geometry bikes, from 56/53 to 56/59, 54/54 and stuff in between. I swap stems, bars, etc., and really enjoy the different handling characteristics. Of course for a main ride it needs to be comfortable for 3+ hrs and so I have something more neutral so to speak.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:44 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:

In contrast, Richard Sachs historically collaborated with House Industries and prob has plenty of designers (and racers) helping boost his brand.

Custom frames are in the luxury good niche, and framebuilders such should invest accordingly in branding/aesthetics.

Also, some builders are just incredibly prolific. Paul Sadoff/Rock Lobster puts out ~100 frames a year. There's a greater chance you'll see a used Rock Lobster than say a now-discontinued Rick Hunter.
Mike DeSalvo has had 3 different logos that I know of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desalvo1.jpg (73.6 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg Desalvo2.jpg (73.7 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Desalvo3.jpg (66.1 KB, 217 views)
Old 12-21-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
I think what you're seeing there is pricing after all the marketing overhead and other bull**** is stripped away. FWIW, Paul Sadoff is kinda in a similar vein wrt to keeping a low key, low overhead, and no-nonsense operation. These are guys that build and have been building for eons - for the love of the sport and craft - and predate Radavista nonsense IG hypebeast brands.

I've got my place in Mike's queue and I was also a little surprised at the number of his frames that've come up for sale recently, especially Clean39T's, since it seems like yesterday that he got it. I guess some folks just want a taste of everything that's out there, sample the goods, then move on. Myself? I'm usually extremely intentional with custom frame purchases, cause I view it as a permanent addition.
I think this is very true in some cases but calling out No22 or Firefly for that I think is unfair. When you compare the “base” No22 offering to what DeSalvo offers, you’re within $500 or so for a butted, oversized tubed bike and on the 22 side you’re getting tubes butted in house along with many other little custom refinements they’re able to do. They and Firefly really built off of what the respective teams were doing before at Serotta and IF and took it to a different level pushing the boundaries of what you can do with Ti.

I look at custom bikes the same way you do, as a permanent addition for myself and considered going with DeSalvo at one point, but own two No22s because I felt like I was getting strong value that went into building a better product for my dollars. My first bike was between a Kelly Bedford Ti, which is similar and similarly priced to DeSalvo, and the No22 which when digging in, you see the value there in how they can customize further.

Now if you wanted to go after that 7000 custom Speedvagen, or even someone like Mosaic (yes I’ve got one of those too) for marketing bull**** and IG hype, let’s talk. But they’re also quite a bit more on price than 22 or firefly for a “base” butted Ti frame.

All that said, it’s really about building a bike for YOU and what steveandbarb1 said, resale means nothing, others people’s thoughts online don’t matter, all that does is if you’re happy and any of these builders can do that. It’s all about picking the one that works for you and what you want out of the bike
Old 12-21-2022, 07:45 PM
Administrator

This is one of my favorite, awesome, functional paint schemes on the forum.

Anyone know who has this bike today, I'm pretty sure Z doesnt have it any longer...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=desalvo
Old 12-21-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
I've got my place in Mike's queue and I was also a little surprised at the number of his frames that've come up for sale recently, especially Clean39T's, since it seems like yesterday that he got it. I guess some folks just want a taste of everything that's out there, sample the goods, then move on.
The one I have was built by Mike for the ENVE builder round-up.. not a custom for me. I knew going in the fit may not be perfect but it was close enough - up until some injuries happened and changed how I need to sit on the bike and my ability to ride offroad in general. I may still keep it. His queue is long and I love the bike - just a shame to have it hanging unused for an indeterminate amount of time, or not used to its full potential..