Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I hate the new format. Sheer unvarnished money-grab by Concacaf (no surprise there).

To hell with player welfare, i guess...
Isn't the three games in one break partially driven by a compressed schedule due to Covid?

I'm glad Berhalter, versus me, has to figure out how to rotate for 3 games where the two away games are sandwiched around an important game against Canada. I think it's a hard decision because playing on the road against motivated central american teams can be tricky. But winning home games is a must and Canada has been on the upswing and they get Davies back. I don't envy Dest trying to battle him all game and god help us it it is Yedlin. Although I guess he does have better speed than Dest.

And what of Pulisic and his covid recovery, send him to San Salvador or save him?
Old 08-31-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
To be fair, it plays to the USMNT's depth and against a lot of the CONCACAF teams who do not have the same depth. While I don't particularly think it makes for quality soccer, but it will be "interesting."

Antonio just announced playing for Jamaica. He's quality. It will be interesting if he can turn his WHU form for the Reggae Boyz.
He should be able to Hammer a few past the true minnows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
Isn't the three games in one break partially driven by a compressed schedule due to Covid?

I'm glad Berhalter, versus me, has to figure out how to rotate for 3 games where the two away games are sandwiched around an important game against Canada. I think it's a hard decision because playing on the road against motivated central american teams can be tricky. But winning home games is a must and Canada has been on the upswing and they get Davies back. I don't envy Dest trying to battle him all game and god help us it it is Yedlin. Although I guess he does have better speed than Dest.

And what of Pulisic and his covid recovery, send him to San Salvador or save him?
There’s Davies, and then there’s Davids. Both are quality, and Weah knows a thing or two about the latter.

As for Pulisic, bring him on as a sub against Canada. No need to rush him back early.

———————

ETA: i’m really glad that CBS went and bought the rights to the qualifiers, both home and away. Certainly makes it easier to follow the team.

Last edited by echappist; 08-31-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:53 PM

D'oh, spoke too soon.

Games tonight and next Wednesday are on Paramount+; the game vs Canada is on FS1 (and here I thought FoxSports was no longer relevant when it comes to soccer).

Bastards, that's $7.99 for Paramount and then $35 for reactivation of Sling...
Old 09-02-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
D'oh, spoke too soon.

Games tonight and next Wednesday are on Paramount+; the game vs Canada is on FS1 (and here I thought FoxSports was no longer relevant when it comes to soccer).

Haha - Hey Jim - you know I cancelled ESPN+ and switched to Paramount so I could watch Serie A. Today I picked up ESPN+ again as they are showing WC qualifiers (of course Italy drew - still unbeaten in 35 games but still).
Man, they get you coming and going - longing for the old days when BEin had them all and were part of the basic cable package.

Hope USA has a good showing - might be a tough environment for this very young team (average age is 24). And hope the local kid - Miles Robinson has a good game

Last edited by wc1934; 09-02-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:44 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
D'oh, spoke too soon.

I think they are on Univision or another Spanish language channel as well.

Yeah, I though BEIN was a horrible channel. CBS Sports Network? Never heard of it.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Haha - Hey Jim - you know I cancelled ESPN+ and switched to Paramount so I could watch Serie A. Today I picked up ESPN+ again as they are showing WC qualifiers (of course Italy drew - still unbeaten in 35 games but still).
Man, they get you coming and going - longing for the old days when BEin had them all and were part of the basic cable package.

Hope USA has a good showing - might be a tough environment for this very young team (average age is 24). And hope the local kid - Miles Robinson has a good game
A few of them are certainly getting their introduction to Concacaf 101: how the ref aids and abets s***housery committed by the opposition

I'm surprised the ref gave that last free kick in the attacking half (the one which Sargent attempted a pirouette)

Last edited by echappist; 09-02-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:26 PM

Berlhalter being proactive; i like this
Old 09-03-2021, 01:20 AM

not great but okay

the thing is we should have taken all 3 points but a road draw denies El Salvador two points they need. So draw on the road and win at home is still the motto. But Canada will be hungry after their missed opportunity tonight and of course we play in Honduras next week.

Man I would have bet the house against a clean sheet with both Yedlin & Ream in the starting XI. Neither was great but played well enough.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
the thing is we should have taken all 3 points but a road draw denies El Salvador two points they need. So draw on the road and win at home is still the motto. But Canada will be hungry after their missed opportunity tonight and of course we play in Honduras next week.

Man I would have bet the house against a clean sheet with both Yedlin & Ream in the starting XI. Neither was great but played well enough.
Concacaf away matches are always rough, and I think it's a rude awakening of sorts for the really young players. We probably shouldn't underestimate the effect of heat, too.

What's a bit more unacceptable was how disjointed the attack looked. Some of the decision making seemed off. In any case, Canada will be an interesting match. It's basically a team also carried by really young players, except there are only two of them.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:31 AM

I'm no expert, but it seemed to me that there were problems linking midfield to the attacking third. And when they would get it near the box, no one was there to put a foot or head on the end of a cross.

Some of that probably gets fixed with Pulisic but it would be nice to see systemic fixes instead of hoping for a savior.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Concacaf away matches are always rough, and I think it's a rude awakening of sorts for the really young players. We probably shouldn't underestimate the effect of heat, too.

What's a bit more unacceptable was how disjointed the attack looked. Some of the decision making seemed off. In any case, Canada will be an interesting match. It's basically a team also carried by really young players, except there are only two of them.
Yup - exactly (hope I am wrong) but I am afraid that might not be a quick fix.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yup - exactly (hope I am wrong) but I am afraid that might not be a quick fix.
agree. The result = good. The performance = uneven. Good in the back but no connection to the attack from midfield.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:25 PM

So Reyna out due to injury and McKennie out due to discipline issues. Pulisic starts.

Otoh, Jonathan David starts on the bench for Canada.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
So Reyna out due to injury and McKennie out due to discipline issues. Pulisic starts.

Otoh, Jonathan David starts on the bench for Canada.
Might be harsh for me to say this, but I think McKennie is a head case - not playing tonite because he violated covid protocols. Did the same thing at Juve- had a big birthday party in violation of the protocols.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Might be harsh for me to say this, but I think McKennie is a head case - not playing tonite because he violated covid protocols. Did the same thing at Juve- had a big birthday party in violation of the protocols.
Let's hope that there's no third time.

He appears mature, but if he can't get his act together for 10 days...

------------------------------------------------

Also, what a s*** show. Pulisic should have been subbed off long before the 70th minute. So many dangerous crosses fizzed across the box, and a better team would have capitalized.

Berlhalter has enough talent at his disposal, not being able to use it well is rather tiresome.

Now look out for a ragged team face Honduras on Wednesday.

Also, I hope McKennie understands just how much he was needed today. Adams did the best he could, and he could have done with someone else helping out.