Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
No, I meant to use the Thumbies with 11spd time trial shifters (I think there were some?)
There were but dont think they could be run in friction mode. Tho could be wrong about that maybe there was a shimano version that could. 11s tt items are not my forte

But dident you mean to use 10s shimano tt levers in friction mode with otherwise 11s components? I think 11 cogs with friction may prove tricky to operate in the desired gears tho, small lever margins with each shift.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-10-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:51 PM

Cool! I’m all set up w/ 10 sp Campy now so will be sticking with that. Maybe I’ll go the friction route while continuing my search for campy compatible Paul thumbies.

Appreciate all the advice ya’ll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Yes, that would work, and allows you to choose either 10s or 11s (or 12s?). Friction shifting, in my opinion, is easier anyway. As another poster mentioned, the tolerances between a Shimano 11s cassette and a Campy 11s cassette are not noticeable. On one road bike, I use Campy 11s ergo shifters mated to a 11s Shimano cassette with no issues. I assume Shimano 11s indexed thumb shifters would work fine with a Campy cassette, working with Campy derailleurs too.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:54 PM

Just reporting what I've read and heard (since I've never tried DT/bar end/thumbie type shifters with 11s) that 10s or more cogs may be finicky shifting (at best) as the needed cable pull as it wraps around the shifter body is too much for such a wide cassette with relatively narrow spacing between cogs. I think there are some recent DT shifters with a bigger cable wrap radius that accommodate 11s, but in general 10sp is the limit for nice, non-indexed shifting with a DT-type shifter. FWIW, these friction/ratchet shifters from Rivendell work really nicely, much better than Shimanos in friction mode and they're elegant as well (I assume this is part of the desired features mixing with a campy system). They might stretch to 11sp, though Riv says they're limited to 10sp, maybe they might work with near perfect setup, zero friction in the cables, no stretch in the cable housing, no flex in the frame etc-- but very finicky.
https://www.rivbike.com/products/kjalgjoihjga44451

Last edited by zennmotion; 03-10-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:20 PM

If you don't mind friction and are stuck on campy, there is always vintage Record OR and Icarus shifters to be found.

I'd skip the brake levers and go with something else as they were huge.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Did Campy ever make an 11 speed flat bar shifter? I am only aware of the 10 speed (Veloce)?

On the other hand, since 11 speed is compatible across the board, I suppose you could use a Shimano or Sram 11 speed flat bar index shifter with Campy wheel/cassettes. Mix and match!

Good Luck!
I've read this a lot, but in my experience the compatability between Campy 11 and Shimano 11 isn't all that great.

I run a 1x setup on my flat-bar, using XT M8000 shifter and rear derailleur. I used to run a Centaur 12-32 11s cassette and shifting was laggy in general and not accurate on a few of the cogs. Switched wheelsets recently to something with a Shimano cassette body, and put on a Shimano 11 cassette - ah ha! Crisp, accurate, every single time no exceptions.

TLDR; Shimano/Campy 11 mix kindasorta works but it's not perfect.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
I've read this a lot, but in my experience the compatability between Campy 11 and Shimano 11 isn't all that great.

I run a 1x setup on my flat-bar, using XT M8000 shifter and rear derailleur. I used to run a Centaur 12-32 11s cassette and shifting was laggy in general and not accurate on a few of the cogs. Switched wheelsets recently to something with a Shimano cassette body, and put on a Shimano 11 cassette - ah ha! Crisp, accurate, every single time no exceptions.

TLDR; Shimano/Campy 11 mix kindasorta works but it's not perfect.
Interesting. My DS has Campy Chorus 11 mechanical drivetrain and uses a Centaur 11 12-32 cassette. My Ellis has Ultegra 11 di2 with Ultegra 11 11-32 cassette. I swapped the wheels on the bikes and found no difference in my albeit short ride around the block. So I wouldn’t hesitate to swap wheel. But I guess, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:37 PM

I also have a set mounted to map Ahearne bars. Just pulled them off my Lemond and not ready to sell em yet. But they do exist

Mine are black. Good to see they made other colors

Last edited by jtakeda; 03-10-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:42 PM

Rivendell Silver shifters would be my choice.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:24 AM

@jtakeda - Nice! I have those bars on my Kogswell. I’m actually converting a bike Joseph Ahearne built for me during the time he shared his shop space with Mitch (MAP) and those bars were produced. Going from drops to Jitensha Studio bars on the Ahearne which is a why I’m searching for the aforementioned thumbies. When you are ready to sell ‘em let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I also have a set mounted to map Ahearne bars. Just pulled them off my Lemond and not ready to sell em yet. But they do exist

Mine are black. Good to see they made other colors

Old 03-11-2021, 06:55 AM

Nvm
Old 03-11-2021, 07:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
No, I meant to use the Thumbies with 11spd time trial shifters (I think there were some?)
There are, all are 'RTC', return to center and I doubt they would fit onto a set of Paul thumbies.

MisterMo-
Quote:
I assume Shimano 11s indexed thumb shifters would work fine with a Campy cassette, working with Campy derailleurs too.
No shimano 11s downtube shifters. Yes, shimano 11s barend shifters..index only. I think the friction option was last seen on the 9s ones.

shimano 11s shifters aren't compatible with Campag rear ders tho..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-11-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:53 AM

The JTEK shiftmates may be an option if you find a Shimano option you like. They're focused on road compatibility I think, so if it's a Shimano MTB shifter the cable pull may be a bit different - I'm not sure. If you look up some of the Shimergo tables and the like, you can get the different cable pulls per shift, and the derailleur movement/cable ratios. Then you can calculate what you'd need adjusted if JTEK doesn't report it. Then hope it works - so probably not among the best options. One place where it can help also is if you go pure friction and can't quite get enough cable pull, put a Shiftmate with a 1.1 ratio or so, and you get 10% more derailleur movement from the same shifter (even friction).
Old 03-11-2021, 08:56 AM

Good call on the shiftmate, I have looked into them a bit but never thought about using them to solve a friction shifting issue like you mentioned. Good looking out, appreciate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMond123 View Post
The JTEK shiftmates may be an option if you find a Shimano option you like. They're focused on road compatibility I think, so if it's a Shimano MTB shifter the cable pull may be a bit different - I'm not sure. If you look up some of the Shimergo tables and the like, you can get the different cable pulls per shift, and the derailleur movement/cable ratios. Then you can calculate what you'd need adjusted if JTEK doesn't report it. Then hope it works - so probably not among the best options. One place where it can help also is if you go pure friction and can't quite get enough cable pull, put a Shiftmate with a 1.1 ratio or so, and you get 10% more derailleur movement from the same shifter (even friction).
Old 03-11-2021, 01:46 PM

I know the purest would always choose friction, but wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Campy tt (10sp) shifters. I’m intrigued by them and the return to zero function of them.

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-g.../10772014.html

Does anybody know if they would fit on a campy specific Paul thumbie? Seems pretty fun to try.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:35 PM

Might have some issues with the stops. Example thread of putting the bar ends as downtubes, but note the shifter stops needed to make it work. Few similar threads over at BikeForums as well.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...onversion.html