Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Another thing to consider, especially for us cyclists sharing the road, is the increased weight of these new EVs. Just read an article the other day that the Ford F150 EV will be 30% heavier (!). And we all know those monstrosities are heavy enough as they are.
The F150 is a bit of an outlier. EV cars are typically about 10% heavier than comparable ICE cars.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:43 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
e-cars
Makes a lot of sense if a two car family.
e-car does the short trips.
gas car does the long trips if no charging stations along your intended route
Nissan Leaf was the best selling e-car at over 300,000 in one year.
So those are being used for around town trips 95%

The PHEVs make sense to us. We have a Bolt/EV and Pacifica PHEV. The Bolt Commuter mostly. The PHEV bike dog carrier. Van goes about 30 mile pure EV then the ICE V6 chimes in as hybrid off and on. So for trips first 30 mile EV then hybrid range of another 490 miles [best case scenario].

I can say my PHEV/Van use is conservatively 95% local. I do not hear ICE/Motor even start for, 75 days is the record so far. A bit more ICE in winter, both motor and weather A low percent of 40-50 mile days a bit of petrol used. Typically go 60-70 days before I toss 4-5 gallons in it.

Local use when not on trips is 2-3 gal month gas most winter, and less when warm weather. Is is a low use car as well out 6k yr including trips. Typically trips 1000 mile round trip, when more we fly and kids watch the pooch.

The fact that the Pacifica fits 4x8 sheets all doors closed is a function plus I use occasionally. Being I DIY everything from Kitchen Reno to continual house upgrades #MoneyPit

Data points: PHEV +5k lb van. 43-48 MPG on highway long trips. Winter with some ICE chiming on with small amounts on trips outside 33-35 mile EV range @ 55-65 MPG. Seen 69 MPG on display.

Repeated PDX to Redding, CA trips we hit the driveway upon getting home 42 lowest. That trip has 7 MTN passes some notable each leg to/fro. It does closer to 50 MPG flat landing on trips.

Last edited by robt57; 01-28-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:36 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
On my car (Prius Prime) it's the charger built into the car that determines the charge current, not the EVSE. In fact, I can't change the charge current on my L2 EVSE anyway. I can choose 8 or 16 amps at 240V.
If you can, like the Bolt perhaps the setting is in the car.

Will put this out there for thread. Charger 'IS' in the car, the house plug EVSE to car is an interface not charger.

Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
The F150 is a bit of an outlier. EV cars are typically about 10% heavier than comparable ICE cars.
Not exactly A Honda Accord is about 1000 pounds lighter than a Tesla..3400 pounds vs 4600 pounds.
Quote:
The second oldest Tesla model on our list and the longest currently in production is the Model S sedan. After seeing a refresh earlier in 2021 that will eventually bring the tri-motor Plaid powertrain to drivers, the Model S can come with some weight. The dual-motor Long Range trim, which has now been delayed to 2022, weighs 4,561 lbs.
Quote:
The 2020 Honda Accord has a curb weight ranging from 3,131 lbs to 3,428 lbs
Quote:
A Tesla weighs as much as a full size SUV! What weighs the Tesla down so much is the weight of the batteries. The bigger the battery, the heavier the car.
Quote:
The F-150 weighed in at 6,871 lbs, which is 1,100 lbs heavier than the F-150 Hybrid. The Rivian R1T Launch Edition tips the scales at 7,069 lbs.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:42 AM
slower than you

And, as we all know, America loves its pickup trucks and massive bus like SUVs, which were heavy enough as it was. Isn't the F150 still the highest selling vehicle?

The car companies must be slobbering with joy. They've lived off the profits of 30-40 year old car design with these things, and now they can just continue, ripping out the engine and putting a motor and battery in the things.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 01-29-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:26 AM

There is a safety concern to other vehicles with electric trucks and SUVs because of the additional weight. They were already heavy to begin with, so adding 1k of weight is closer to be hit by a locomotive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2023, 08:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
There is a safety concern to other vehicles with electric trucks and SUVs because of the additional weight. They were already heavy to begin with, so adding 1k of weight is closer to be hit by a locomotive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This has been an issue for decades. BIG trucks/SUVs vs smaller sedans. Just now a LOT of those 'e-sedans' are the weight of ICE SUVs.
Quote:
Isn't the F150 still the highest selling vehicle?
Yup, 'merica love their BFTtrucks...
Old 01-29-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
This has been an issue for decades. BIG trucks/SUVs vs smaller sedans. Just now a LOT of those 'e-sedans' are the weight of ICE SUVs.

Yup, 'merica love their BFTtrucks...
There's another thing; tires. Since EV's are so much heavier they need more expensive tires and the extra weight shortens their life. EV owners like to brag about less maintenance than ICE powered vehicles, but they don't realize that they are going to pay more for tires.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not exactly A Honda Accord is about 1000 pounds lighter than a Tesla..3400 pounds vs 4600 pounds.
I wonder how fast you run through tires on a rivian…..and how much they cost?
Old 01-29-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
There's another thing; tires. Since EV's are so much heavier they need more expensive tires and the extra weight shortens their life. EV owners like to brag about less maintenance than ICE powered vehicles, but they don't realize that they are going to pay more for tires.
I should read all the posts before posting
Old 01-29-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
This is a true statement. However, the comparison of a Model S to a Honda Accord is a bit misleading. Yes, the Model S weighs around 4500 pounds. But it is Tesla's largest car and should be compared to other mfrs largest cars like BMW 7 Series (about 4500lbs), Mercedes S Class (about 4700lbs) or the Audi A8 (4700lbs)

If you want to compare the Honda Accord weight (about 3400lbs), the similar sized Model 3 is about 4000lbs. Maybe 600lbs different. Yes, still heavier, but not a 1000lb heavier.

Btw, I'm bias as I own a Model 3 Long Range and it is the best car i've ever had. Fast, quiet with great handling. I live in SF, which has probably the highest electric rates in the nation, but I think it is still a bargain. My long distance trips to SLO to visit my daughter in college has a round trip of about 450 miles and it cost me like $37-38. Yes, I do stop off 2 or 3 times to charge, but the main one is when i'm there, I charge up during lunch and I'm good to go. Plus, as you all know, Tesla has the best charging system in the world - fast, seamless and the most charging stations, at least here in CA. What's not to like?!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 01-29-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
This is a true statement. However, the comparison of a Model S to a Honda Accord is a bit misleading. Yes, the Model S weighs around 4500 pounds. But it is Tesla's largest car and should be compared to other mfrs largest cars like BMW 7 Series (about 4500lbs), Mercedes S Class (about 4700lbs) or the Audi A8 (4700lbs)

If you want to compare the Honda Accord weight (about 3400lbs), the similar sized Model 3 is about 4000lbs. Maybe 600lbs different. Yes, still heavier, but not a 1000lb heavier.

Btw, I'm bias as I own a Model 3 Long Range and it is the best car i've ever had. Fast, quiet with great handling. I live in SF, which has probably the highest electric rates in the nation, but I think it is still a bargain. My long distance trips to SLO to visit my daughter in college has a round trip of about 450 miles and it cost me like $37-38. Yes, I do stop off 2 or 3 times to charge, but the main one is when i'm there, I charge up during lunch and I'm good to go. Plus, as you all know, Tesla has the best charging system in the world - fast, seamless and reasonably priced. What's not to like?!

Good Luck!
Shouldn't you be comparing a Honda Civic to a Model 3, not an Accord?
Old 01-29-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Shouldn't you be comparing a Honda Civic to a Model 3, not an Accord?
Not sure. Isn’t an Accord considered a mid-sized car? If so, that is very similar to a Model 3.

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2023, 11:33 AM

Large EV SUV's and pickup trucks, kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Large EV SUV's and pickup trucks, kinda defeats the purpose.
why?

I would argue the other way.

Replacing a honda accord that gets 40+ mpg on gas with a electric tesla probably has a much smaller impact than replacing a gas pickup that get's 14-18mpg with an electric equivalent.