Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 08:13 PM

Whites (above) and Wesco:
https://builder.wescoboots.com/
Old 01-28-2023, 08:26 PM

Under Armour

Can't remember the model but love these for my prison housing unit job. Lightweight and breathe well for hot summer days without air conditioning. I do add a Dr. Scholl's insert for extra cushion. On my feet for hours a day usually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-01-28 21.20.40.jpg (78.1 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 2023-01-28 21.20.52.jpg (89.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-28-2023, 09:24 PM
Go Sox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Is the fit similar size wise?
I size down half a size for redwing and a whole size for Whites. If you go the Whites route you should go thru Bakers Boots, pricing can be better and they give better service. You can also send them foot tracing for sizing advice, and can send you a boot to try on.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
I size down half a size for redwing and a whole size for Whites. If you go the Whites route you should go thru Bakers Boots, pricing can be better and they give better service. You can also send them foot tracing for sizing advice, and can send you a boot to try on.
Thanks for that advice. I'm due for a new pair soon and may give these a shot.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:37 PM

Thorogood, what else.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Most leather shoes/boots will last for quite a few more wearings/miles if they get a day off between wearings. It might save you some money over the years if you had two pairs of boots in a rotation rather than wearing the same pair every day. The leather likes to dry out after a sweaty day on the job or trail.
I have tried that and my problem is wearing through the soles swapping boots between days does help the leather last a bit longer though, (and stink a bit less) you are right about that!
Old 01-29-2023, 06:03 AM

For the times I need to do site visits wearing safety boots I like blundstones. Easy on easy off, relatively light.

If I'm working at home and want feel/support of a lace up, I wear my alden indy boots.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:54 AM

I wasn't happy with the Blundstones, the soles disintegrated on mine, seems this is an issue if you don't wear them frequently enough.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:56 AM

What do folks with wide feet use these days? Since switching all my sneakers and running shoes to foot shaped styles (Altra, topo, SOM), I'm having a real hard time cramming my feet into old work boots I usually wear in the winter.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:33 AM

How wide is wide? Danner makes widths and I am sure Whites does too. First clue about footwear is if they don’t make widths, they likely won’t fit me.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I wasn't happy with the Blundstones, the soles disintegrated on mine, seems this is an issue if you don't wear them frequently enough.
Mine did too, after 10 years, figure for the number of times a year nd types of work when I need a pair of safety rated boots they work well.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Mine did too, after 10 years, figure for the number of times a year nd types of work when I need a pair of safety rated boots they work well.
yeah, mine didn't take that long, anyway I have timberlands that are safety rated that I pretty much ignore and they've been around for 15 years.

Just got a pair of Allen Edmonds "freeport" moc toes in waterproof suede for non safety rated and they're very nice and comfortable super sale going on.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 AM
Rockstruck

Chicks dig’em too

By that I mean that I have been able to buy them for men and women I have worked with. One of whom wore couture in the lab, moving things off the loading doc and doing chemistry in a lab. She fit them right into her daily fashion show at the office. Then they keep the boots when they leave. It's an easy line item benefit to offer and I encourage everyone to buy all of their employees safety boots, even if they sit by the office door most of time. it include everyone to send a message of safety internally and to customers who have stricture safety codes that we do. And otherwise, people were just going to Walmart and buying heavy uncomfortable and ugly shoes. Safety boots are the ones you wear when needed, and you don't always know when that is. There are bursts throughout the day where something could be spilt or require lifting something heavy.

I love mine and can stand on them all day on concrete floors. Would otherwise probably be wearing top-end Redwings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2AA1B80-8ED5-4806-8180-512A5D250FD1.jpg (100.6 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by RWL2222; 01-29-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:35 AM

I've worn redwings 875 for the last 6 years after a disappointing attempt with Danner. Durability just wasn't there for a daily driver and the stitching failed on two different pairs. Although when my current pair of redwings is done, I might switch to a thoroughgood, hard to find anyone that stocks them though.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 01-29-2023, 10:49 AM

I've been blowing through boots out building fence... It depends on the terrain a bit, as to which boots I'll wear, but my go-to for anything but really rocky conditions has been the Danger Bull Run 8" Christy. I've settled on the Christy toe, as I would wear out the stitching on the Moc Toe when kneeling. They fit me well, don't get overly hot in the summer, and offer good protection(the 8" helps peace of mind with a lot of snake encounters every year) without weighing too much. They meet the balance of price and durability for me. I get about 6 months out of the Vibram wedge sole before its just too chunked up. I've actually got a well worn pair out to Cobblers Plus, and am having them install a lugged Vibram sole on them. Unfortunately they've had them for over 80 days... and its costing $250(more than the boots cost less than a year ago) to have them re-soled and refreshed... So I won't be doing that again regardless of how well they come out.
I've done Redwings and Carolina and didn't get on with them as well. I also have a set of USA Chippewa loggers that are sturdy as all get out, but a bit stiff, even after months of use, which I suppose I should expect out of a logger.
If its a bit cooler out, and damp, I have a pair of Danner Lights that I'll wear, but hate the idea of beating up too much given the cost.
Anything more than 3" of snow or a light drizzle and I'm in knee high neoprene Muck boots...