Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 12:41 PM

This thread is really making me want to dust off my old skates if I can even find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
In a related matter, does anyone still do rollerblading for aerobic exercise, and if so 1) How easy / hard is it to learn, and 2) By the looks of it it shouldn't be too hard on the knees, is that correct?

(I haven't been on roller skates - the "normal," non-inline kind - in over 40 years, and have never been on inline skates.)
If you knew how to skate on ice then the transition will be easy. Otherwise there's a bit of a learning curve I'm sure. But after having skated and played hockey all my childhood and then moving to the south where the ponds rarely freeze anymore I got some roller blades because I missed skating. The only thing that feels a bit differences is flipping around and skating backwards, it's just not as smooth as it is on ice. but in general it feels pretty close to being on ice depending on the pavement of course.

The university in my town has a rollerblade hockey rink. I've never tried it but it looks fun.

Last edited by redir; 01-28-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
In a related matter, does anyone still do rollerblading for aerobic exercise, and if so 1) How easy / hard is it to learn, and 2) By the looks of it it shouldn't be too hard on the knees, is that correct?

(I haven't been on roller skates - the "normal," non-inline kind - in over 40 years, and have never been on inline skates.)
I don't really think of inline as that good of an aerobic activity. As a beginner, your bang for the buck is it will build your core, buttocks, hamstrings. All the little adjustments you will have to learn to maintain your balance, will be really good for core and overall coordination in my opinion.

Hockey is much more anaerobic than aerobic. Since you probably do a lot of long slow stuff cycling, shaking up your routine with skating to increase your core, and anaerobic is probably a very good thing. My 2 cents

and yes it is easy on the knees.

If you want to long skate, it is usually pretty hard to find long stretches of suitable asphalt with no traffic so you will end up doing laps around something.

I can't say how easy it is to learn, since I've been skating for so long. I think the more important question is your body okay will losing it's balance and falling on your ass like you slipped on ice? (particularly can your lower back take that?)

Last edited by verticaldoug; 01-28-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yes, hockey guy here. Played a full NCAA career. Dabbled in the professional game. Now, I only put on the pads for special occasions (I play in the USA Hockey Nationals in Tier 1, 50+/ex college or professional). Spend my time coaching 18U and working with elite and professional players as a skills coach with a Swedish company.
That's pretty cool! Kudos for giving back in the ways you do :-)
Old 01-28-2023, 05:54 PM

I played. Made the decision to not go to Ontario to play Junior hockey and go to college instead. I did play hockey in college and into my adulthood for a while. I played for a traveling junior team when I was 17, it was an 18-20 year old back then but everyone lied. One Canadian was 22 claiming to be 20. I lied said I was 18. Redwings scout tried to get me to go to Canada. I did some things well but needed some work and doubt I'd have made it.

My skates have been in the attic for over 30 years and I had been thinking of getting them out for some stick time, I still have an old Koho in the basement.

Is 65 years old too late to lace them up
Old 01-29-2023, 11:25 AM

Played mostly roller growing up, but switched to mostly ice later on. C/B beer leaguer - playing both in net and skating out now, it’s a competitive game in net that I’ve found the most taxing.

For those still playing, are you tracking your games like you would with strava and/or a power meter? I’m using an Apple Watch and the paid version of the app Hockey Tracker. Gives you a lot of neat metrics to help you track your game. Apple Watch has a native hockey fitness tracker, but doesn’t give you nearly as much insight.

Two local rinks are closing for renovations. Ft. DuPont has/had an organized skate that started in the late 70’s. I’m hoping it starts back up when it reopens in late ‘24-‘25. Mt. Vernon, where the Caps practiced during the Jim Carey Vezina days, and where I learned to skate, has closed and is slated to open in ‘25 with an additional 2nd sheet. DC metro has really become a hockey hotbed. Never expected that during my lifetime.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:05 PM
Vendor

Skating is a great aerobic exercise. Ice, perhaps better than roller, speed skating better than ice hockey as many have mentioned is anaerobic, lots of start/stop... a little hard on the body. The only real concern (unless you worry about falls) is hip flexor issues/development/tightening, especially for goaltenders. But if you're diligent it's hardly a big deal.

The speed skating/cycling combo is very,very common - ask the dutch who dominante both disciplines.

I played Ice Hockey my whole life until about 36. Scouted for years, coached a bit, did development camps. Mostly goaltending. I miss the ice - still a big fan of the game.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Is 65 years old too late to lace them up

Not with your background. I grew up skating but stopped playing organized hockey by the time I was 12. Starting playing again in my early 40s and had a blast. I loved my beer league and played for years. Sadly I had to stop playing because of head issues from a bike accident. I really miss it. I still play pick-up occasionally. Depending on were you live look for a 50+ pick-up game and I bet it all comes back.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:50 PM

For those thinking of getting out the old skates be aware that the environment may not have been kind. My custom supremes started disintegrating after 20+ years of casual use. The mid range Bauers ($200ish price point) are great and dropped a few ounces per skate as well.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:47 PM

So, my circa 1974 Super Tacks aren't no good no more?

The bigger problem is my feet used to be 12 and are now a 13, stuffing them into a 10 skate required some KY and swear words.

In terms of cross training, it could be good. I had a coach who would have us basically do Tempo efforts for 20 minutes. Boring as hell but it engages the core quite a lot. He'd save the throw up sprints for last.

I wish I never stopped. In an adult league at about 40 yo, I was on a breakaway, some idiot tripped me and into the crossbar at full chat and got busted up. Wife made me stop.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
So, my circa 1974 Super Tacks aren't no good no more?
Yeah, the Super Tacks have changed a bit over the years. I've got today's version, one piece carbon fibre boot that you heat mold in your oven. The carbon weave makes them look like a Colnago C40 for your feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sup.jpg (87.7 KB, 20 views)