Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2022, 11:55 AM

My broken leg project: Lemond Croix de Fer

As I recover from my broken leg, I decided that as a little treat to myself for the long, hard work of getting healthy again, I'd build myself up a new (to me) road bike.

I've been hanging on to a nice silver Campy Athena 11 drivetrain for a couple years now, with some custom built wheels to match, and I've been looking for a steel frame to hang it on. Well, I got this Lemond Croix de Fer for next to nothing and figured what the heck. Here it is in its current state, before I start wrenching on it:

I'm not much of a photographer, but that green sparkle paint is truly gorgeous in the sunlight. It has a few scratches on it - this bike has definitely been ridden - but I bought some matching nail polish that should take care of that. I can't get enough of those cream panels.

It's currently wearing Shimano 105 3x9, and it shifts so nicely it's almost a shame to take it off the bike! But I'm going to give it to my friend for free, as a refresh for his commuter.

Finally, I've never worked with Campy before, so if anyone has any tips and tricks re: Campy Athena 11, I'm all ears!
Old 11-05-2022, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Very nice. Classy looking paint scheme.

Here’s to a speedy recovery.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:56 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

Lemonds are nice and mine, tourmalet, rides well. I've used Athena before, hope you enjoy it. good luck w/ your leg •
Old 11-05-2022, 03:35 PM

Beautiful combination - I love Campy and have always wanted a Lemond .

Good luck healing up!
Old 11-05-2022, 03:46 PM
Administrator

what tubes does this model feature?
Old 11-05-2022, 03:57 PM

Looks OX Platinum, I have a Blue/Yellow livery one and love it.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:31 PM

Yeah, this one is OX Platinum. I'm excited to see how this one comes together, the geometry is definitely different from my other bikes but I think in a good way. And frankly rim brakes are so much easier to deal with than all my disc brake bikes!
Old 11-05-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
… It's currently wearing Shimano 105 3x9, and it shifts so nicely it's almost a shame to take it off the bike! But I'm going to give it to my friend for free, as a refresh for his commuter…
If it’s for your friend, why not find a good front rim and deliver the gift? I (personally) can’t bare to disassemble something that’s working so well! And 105 isn’t exactly low end; I’m sure he’ll appreciate it for his commuter.

Hope for a speedy recovery; nice to have friends that share their bike enthusiasm.
Old 11-05-2022, 05:49 PM

Nice project to occupy some down time while you recover. I would really like to see it when it is done, especially in the light of a sunny day. My Lemond Tourmalet, 2001, I totally rebuilt, including having it powder coated, and is one of my favorites. I really feel an attachment to it, as it was a mess when I acquired it. I have gotten a lot of good feedback on it.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:06 PM

2005 model, great colors. I don't think you will have much trouble with the Athena build but if you run into problems you won't lack for advice.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:10 PM

Well! I finally got this thing built up and out for a 20-mile shakedown ride today. Campy Athena 11 is flawless and fun. The paint really looks gorgeous in the sun, my photos won't do it justice. All kinds of nice silver bits on this bike, which makes me very happy. I wanted this bike to be an homage to the steel, rim-brake bikes I rode as a kid, and I think it turned out amazing.

I deserve this new toy as a present to myself for healing from that broken leg!

I have to say, it's just wonderful riding a steel rim-brake bike again, after years exclusively riding disc. There's a springy quality to the ride that makes it fun to put down power and get into a nice cadence. (Is that "planing?") And rim brakes give you a much more direct connection to the bike, it's a totally different feeling.

I'm not super won over by the slack seat tube, which I understand is a feature on all these LeMond road bikes... I may have to get a zero-setback seatpost. TBD.

Cheers, thanks for looking!

And a little reminder to myself:

Old 01-28-2023, 04:35 PM

This is fantastic; thanks for posting the finished build.

Polished silver group sets just look so good.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:09 PM

Wow, what a looker! Nice turn around from the original condition. I especially like the white saddle and bar tape.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:41 PM

Nice bike, quite the old school classy look.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:30 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

As Sarah Connor might say: "Howz the leg?" She said knee, but you said broken leg. Been there, done that, hope your form comes back faster than it did for me. Should have put on the compact crank sooner...

The bike is self explanatory, enjoy.