Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
just a shame to have it hanging unused for an indeterminate amount of time, or not used to its full potential..
Meh. I've never really understood this thought process. It's your bike, if you like looking at it and never ride it the bike doesn't care. If you sell it, then you can't ride it OR look at it. If you get enjoyment out of looking at it and appreciating it I say keep it! I know I certainly have a couple that I don't ride much but I don't feel bad oogling them lol.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:48 PM

I completely get the sentiment that bikes are made to be ridden and should be. And that branding, etc. should only matter to the owner and we shouldn't care what others think, but...

This whole forum is about sharing our joy for cycling and bikes...and enjoying the feedback from others. There's a great book I've been reading titled "You May Also Like: Taste in and Age of Endless Choice". In short, it's about understanding why we like the things we like. Online feedback helps guide our likes more than ever, and before that it was catalogs, social recommendations, radio ads, and more. The author is Tom Vanderbilt, who wrote Traffic, a book I really enjoyed as well. He was also a contestant on Jeopardy, just FYI.

Anyway, how did I decide that I liked my Ritchey bike? A bunch of factors, including reviews, comments here, my own predilection for workmanlike understated things in general, and my budget? And the DeSalvo? Mike's work at UBI, his NAHBS awards, his interviews/podcasts, his website, and my own predilection for workmanlike understated things in general.

I'll have to wait and see how the DeSalvo ride compares to the Ritchey. I've been on quite a variety of road bikes, starting with a Trek 400, then some crappy aluminum Raleighs, vintage stuff, touring bikes, a CX bike. I enjoy them all and suspect the new one will be a lot fun.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post

DeSalvo's logo is pretty "meh", imho atmo bbq.
I find myself very partial to this Desalvo logo.

Last edited by Matt92037; 12-21-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:08 PM

I owned it for a bit, absolutely beyond stunning bike. The attention to detail was off the charts! I think it went overseas with the guy that bought it from me but can’t recall….

Better photos here (scroll down until you get to it): https://tibikes.wordpress.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This is one of my favorite, awesome, functional paint schemes on the forum.

Anyone know who has this bike today, I'm pretty sure Z doesnt have it any longer...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...hlight=desalvo

Last edited by duff_duffy; 12-21-2022 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-21-2022, 09:16 PM

I am happy for the OP. DeSalvo is a well-respected builder - one of the finest, IMO.

As for his bikes coming up for sale on PL, it's likely because many on this forum simply enjoy buying and selling custom bikes, usually at a significant discount from new. I doubt that his are moving through here at any higher percentage than other custom builders who have a similar output.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:28 PM

Mike built me a 2007 Ti frame. It's my Ti-Fighter.
If I'm riding for paychecks, I'd be on that frame. It's absolutely balanced and dialed in. There's a reason he teaches at the UBI and made frames for Vanilla.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Asking for validation at this point is a bit late, but for me, he makes great frames. I have 3. Ti and Steel road and Ti gravel. All great.
If you like yours, it really doesn't matter how many are for sale here. Just ride it.
If you don't, it still doesn't matter. Just sell it.
THIS. You wont have any trouble selling it but if the fit is good you wont.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:00 PM

I think the script logo is nice. You could probably opt not to use his logo and come up with one yourself.

Well respected builder who knows his craft and been doing it for a long time.

Nice guy too from the few minutes I had at a NAHBS show.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:07 PM

I have loved all the DeSalvo's I have owned.

I have owned three DeSalvo's... steel cross, ti cross and ti all-road. I sold the previous to get the next one. He also was the welder behind a '11 Speedvagen I used to own. Mike is a great guy to work with. He will listen to you and will be honest if he feels something may not work. That's valuable to me. You will also have a relationship with him that you can't get when you by a Specialized, Trek, etc.

For the price...it is a great value. He taught at the Bicycle Institute in Ashland, OR. And has won a few awards for his tig-welds. I think that is good enough for me because he was voted by his peers.

All the DeSalvo's I have owned were great. My current all-road is unique because he used this at the 2019 Chris King show. I LOVE this bike. We thought of the paint scheme together. It's unique and have not seen another one like it.

https://avt.bike/blogs/avt-bike-blog...pen-house-bike

Of course he doesn't have the drool-worthy Instagram photos that you see with the top boutique builders, but he can make it look any way you want it to look. I have seen some of his bikes where the font was different.

You will enjoy your custom DeSalvo. And congrats on your new bike.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=AngryScientist;3187995]This is one of my favorite, awesome, functional paint schemes on the forum.

Anyone know who has this bike today, I'm pretty sure Z doesnt have it any longer...

Nick, I don't know who owns this bike today, but I owned it back in 2015. I sold frame, fork, headset to a Paceline member and where it went from there is unknown. It was a great paint scheme but it didn't fit me quite as well as my two steel road bikes, probably because it was a little bigger than they are.

Last edited by dcama5; 01-28-2023 at 04:00 PM.