Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2024, 07:10 AM
Administrator

tubeless tape - edges?

I have a love/hate relationship with tubeless.

I love the ride, puncture protection, weight reduction, etc.

My reality though, is that I ride my tubeless bikes a LOT less often than my road bikes, and it could be weeks to months between riding.

I feel like the sealant always creeps under the edge of the rim tape where I ended the wrap, leading to failure.

I was thinking of superglueing the edge down to maybe prevent this. Has anyone tried that idea or similar?
Old 09-06-2024, 07:19 AM

Interesting. All my tubeless wheels have hooked rims, and I use tape wide enough to go up the sides just a mm or two. I have never experienced what you are describing. I have probably set up another 100+ customer wheels in the same way when I was working at the shop and again no issues like you are describing.

That said, the easiest solution in your case could be to set a calendar reminder and just add air to the tires once a week, whether you are riding them or not?
Old 09-06-2024, 07:24 AM

I'd be interested to know if no spoke hole rims like Campy lose less air than taped rims.
Old 09-06-2024, 07:25 AM

I do generally superglue the edge. It works pretty well.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:14 AM

My Zipp 303s wheels lasted 2 years before the factory applied tape started to come apart at the overlap. I sold them to let the next owner buy the pricey, odd width Zipp tape. The Zipp tape is an exact fit with no gap or tape overlapping the side walls.

All of my wheels are BTLOS that require no rim tape. No they don't lose less air than taped rims, but I never have to wonder if the rim tape is leaking or needs replaced. Orange seal endurance never leaves any hard to remove dried sealant when tires need to be replaced. A previous set of Fulcrum racing 3 aluminum wheels also cleaned up nicely when I sold them.

I ride every other day and add about 3 psi before each ride. I've got fresh chip seal around now and keep my tires at the low end of the pressure recommended by the Zipp pressure calculator.

Last edited by Dave; 09-06-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:15 AM
n - 1

I’ve had that happen with cheap tape. Quality tape, doesn’t happen. I have tape that’s been on for years. I also try not to touch the end of the tape.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with tubeless.

I love the ride, puncture protection, weight reduction, etc.

My reality though, is that I ride my tubeless bikes a LOT less often than my road bikes, and it could be weeks to months between riding.

I feel like the sealant always creeps under the edge of the rim tape where I ended the wrap, leading to failure.

I was thinking of superglueing the edge down to maybe prevent this. Has anyone tried that idea or similar?
It's probably that you're not properly cleaning the rim bed or the quality of the rim tape you are using. Also, I recommend you go back to tubes on bikes you don't ride that often. You're probably putting sealant in before every ride and the sealant has dried into a puddle throwing the wheel out of balance.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Interesting. All my tubeless wheels have hooked rims, and I use tape wide enough to go up the sides just a mm or two. I have never experienced what you are describing. I have probably set up another 100+ customer wheels in the same way when I was working at the shop and again no issues like you are describing.

That said, the easiest solution in your case could be to set a calendar reminder and just add air to the tires once a week, whether you are riding them or not?
I think Nick means the end of the tape and you are referring to the edge?

People have been known as stated above, to glue the end down.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I think Nick means the end of the tape and you are referring to the edge?

People have been known as stated above, to glue the end down.
yes right, the end of the tape. I'll give some gorilla super glue a shot, i have it here anyway.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:47 AM

If it's literally months between rides I'd honestly just choose tubes (maybe latex if you like the weight and rolling resistance) or try to figure out a wheelset I could swap more easily between bikes I want to run tubeless on.

Not all tape and sealant is equal though. When I setup my Farsports (no spoke holes) with Stans sealant + Michelin Power Cup they lose air in about two weeks. Same setup with Silca's sealant loses air in about a month.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:55 AM

Every time I change tires, I change tape. Superglue would make that very difficult
Old 09-06-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
yes right, the end of the tape. I'll give some gorilla super glue a shot, i have it here anyway.
End of tape stickers never stick for me. They last even less than the tape. I’m surprised the tubeless sealant lasts sitting idle for months between usage. For me it would be evaporated or a sticky lump in the bottom with most sealants. I’d not use tubeless for a low usage bike. My rule is it has to be weekly ridden for tubeless.
Old 09-06-2024, 09:17 AM

Edge to edge. I recently had Oldpotatoe build me a set of gravel wheels with Boyd CCC rims. The rims are 25mm ID and I followed Boyd's guidance and used 28mm tape. The tape goes partially up toward the bead, so the seated tire is pushing on the tape.

I've had some experience with the tape end peeling and allowing sealant to get under. My worst experiences were with Stan's tape. I've only used Boyd and Muc-off tape in the last several years. I use alcohol wipes to clean the rim and and wipe the tape before sticking down the end, since I've used my fingers to guide the tape into place.
Old 09-06-2024, 09:19 AM

2 layers of wrap on the tape.

If the edge gets picked up, either from poor adhesion or from being disturbed on changing tires, the sealant would have to migrate a long, long way to the point of the seal against the spoke holes failing.

If I change tires and I see the edge of the tape doing this, i'll pull it back a few inches, trim it off, and put a new piece of tape over it. I'm not sure it does anything in the end, but I dont have a tape edge flopping around anymore.
Old 09-06-2024, 09:20 AM
n - 1

Lots of confusion here.

He’s talking about the end of the tape, not the edges along the lip of the rim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5656.jpg (38.7 KB, 130 views)