Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 AM

I really wish the word "counterfeit" would be used instead of clone. It says Colnago and it is not one. If it was just a no-name open mold frame, then the ad would be honest.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:52 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I really wish the word "counterfeit" would be used instead of clone. It says Colnago and it is not one. If it was just a no-name open mold frame, then the ad would be honest.
I agree with you actually. This is certainly not a clone but at least he says that its not lugged carbon but from a mold.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, he also fails to mention the Enve stem is counterfeit, carefully saying just "carbon stem." It makes me so mad that these products exist in the world.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:31 PM

Funny thing, they cant fake steel bikes because production cost would go up a lot!
Old 05-20-2020, 03:45 PM

I tend to agree. Language matters. Clone implies an exact copy, which this frame certainly isn't. On the other hand--he could have called it a Colnago "homage" and that would have been worse. haha.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2020, 08:33 AM

I think the Merlin story was BS. Merlin has been nothing but upstanding from all my dealings, they don't even sell Colnagos currently (not sure if they did 3 years ago). If this guy had been hoodwinked by Merlin, why would he act cagey about it and not tell you the story.

Curious what the ad you replied to looked like by comparison and how much he was asking on that iteration. Would be telling if he had been asking a lot more that he was knowingly trying to pull one over on you - he certainly seems to know the score about the bike in the newer listing.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 AM

He bought a bunk C60 to climb one hill and then sold it. Do we know if he made it up Mt Lemmon?

(laughing out loud)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:59 AM
Administrator

seller knew it was a fugazzi and tried his luck selling it as genuine. he got called on it, took it back and is now selling it under more honest pretenses.

personally the whole counterfeit thing enrages me. it's theft of property to put someone elses brand on a fake frame.

to be clear, i have NO problem with these open mold carbon frames, and i'd have no problem buying owning and riding a "Light Bicycle" frame or similar house branded frame.

this kind of stuff should not be tolerated, but clearly it is, and it must be a money making business as there is definitely a lot out there and someone is going through a lot of trouble to make these look as close as they can to the real deal.

i can not imagine having the kind of vanity one must have to buy a fake colnago. i would always prefer a no-name bike or a cheaper real brand.

oh well, glad the OP got his money back and we learned something here.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM

What a great educational thread. As someone who purchased a C60 from Tucson in the same color just a few months I had to go and inspect mine. That thing is close for sure.

Thank you to the brain trust.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:46 AM
DELETE ACCNT

hahaha, that cracked me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
That said, I highly doubt he got it from Merlin, unless Merlin is the name of the dude that sold him the fake nago.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:14 PM

A few years ago I listed a complete bike on CL. The frame's retail was near $7000. I purchased it for $2500 directly from an employee of the bike company. I don't recall all the details but he gave me the warranty card and all associated materials and accessories. I didn't expect there to be many buyers for a top of the line build and after a few weeks I thought I had a sale. But the potential buyer backed away because I didn't have a receipt. At the time it didn't even occur to me that he was concerned about a fake. I believed he just wanted to be covered in case the bike was stolen.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I am not mad at that. It shows that he did not know or he would be just listing it as he did before. That said, I highly doubt he got it from Merlin, unless Merlin is the name of the dude that sold him the fake nago.
^^^This. no way an actual shop knowingly sold this. Way too much liability and they risk a huge lawsuit from the real mfg. This is a direct from overseas deal, maybe from a storefront that calls itself Merlin too, but not the Merlin we're thinking of.

When the deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Case in point, there is a pair of "Boras" for sale on the local CL here for $350 that made me do a double take. Listing reveals it's some direct from china pair with bora stickers. Personally, I never understood the make it look expensive mentality.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
What a great educational thread. As someone who purchased a C60 from Tucson in the same color just a few months I had to go and inspect mine. That thing is close for sure.

Thank you to the brain trust.
Agreed. I found Paceline when I was considering a C60 and worried that the market could be flooded with counterfeits. I found this thread and Paceline while doing due diligence on google:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=211046

It's no longer possible to see the fakes but they were less convincing than the one Bici-sonora bought.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:20 PM
Robin (she/her)

fake GIOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_moses View Post
This deserves its own stickie in the classifieds. It would be great to see other examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GIOS had a big problem with fake “Compacts” in mid-late 1980s. The real ones were distributed by Oschner Intl, but they were showing up in Nashbar and other discount outlets. GIOS started putting “Alfredo Gios” stickers on frames to distinguish from the fakes. visit GIOS.it and click under “Collections”
Old 05-21-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
I think the Merlin story was BS. Merlin has been nothing but upstanding from all my dealings, they don't even sell Colnagos currently (not sure if they did 3 years ago). If this guy had been hoodwinked by Merlin, why would he act cagey about it and not tell you the story.

Curious what the ad you replied to looked like by comparison and how much he was asking on that iteration. Would be telling if he had been asking a lot more that he was knowingly trying to pull one over on you - he certainly seems to know the score about the bike in the newer listing.

I’ve had good transactions with Merlin as well. The seller was right about one thing—the bike was immaculately maintained—the DA group looked brand new and the wheels were dead true. This is the original CL Ad—I always print the ad when I buy a CL bike and keep them in a folder to remember the details and keep seller info just in case something suspicious comes up. Never had to refer back to them before this one. He was only asking $200 more when it was offered as genuine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk