Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2020, 01:09 PM

I think most of these copies that are sold are actually sold to ppl who knows they are copies but think the price and looks is motivation enough to buy them. So they are not really trying to sell them as colnagos for the most part.

They are likely 500 bux new and attractive for a certain kind of customer.
Then i think sometimes some of these "customers" do try and resell them as colnagos for a lot more cash.

That would also explain why its not so important for the manufacturer to have a 100% identical frame which im sure they could produce if they wanted but they could not sell as many as price would need to be higher with more advanced molds etc and perhaps they are not braking any laws with these either since they are not saying its a genuin colnago and the copyright laws in china etc seem non existent. This is just my guess tho.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
I’d focus on getting the money back first and then, depending on the “situational mood” I may ask a couple of questions. But your goal is to get your money back, not to create an antagonistic chat and ask to see a receipt, there is no point. If he offers to show you, another story. I’d personally be amicable/courteous, get my money back, and go on my way , of course this just IMHO.

Yes, situational awareness will be important. Always good to keep that in mind in these kind of deals. I should probably not ask if his Pina is a fake too right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 02:12 PM

Also worth noting- Authentic C60/C64 frames are actually manufactured in Italy using tube-tube construction. The tubes are cut and mitered in house, Lugs bonded and assembled much like a steel Master is. The forks go through an x-ray to confirm structural integrity. Also paint is done in house.

Authentic Pinarello Dogmas are made(molded) in Asia. They are only painted in Italy which lets the get away with "Made in Italy" decal. I don't have any experience with ID'ing fake vs real ones.

That's not to say bikes made in Asia are inferior to USA or Italy. The rest of Colnagos line up are made in Asia. And there are plently of other brands with fantastic riding bikes that come out of Asia.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:50 PM

Pinarellos are easy to check for authenticity. If they are Italian threaded they are genuine, end of discussion.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:54 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

The faux 'lug' lacks prominence to the tube to my eye. I am not sure if I only scrutinized that with the thread title in my head already though...
Old 05-16-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
For certain invisible differences are important for ride quality and durability—I was mainly just wondering why the counterfeiters wouldn’t at least go to the trouble to get the exterior design details near 100 percent correct. After all, they are not concerned with performance or structural integrity, they just need it to look legit.

Gotcha. I suppose they are just trying fabricate and sell as quickly as possible. And apparently it works a enough of the time The naked eye-obvious stuff was only obvious to us non-experts when we side-by-side compared authentic to fake.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 PM

Update: returned the Fauxnalgo today and got all my money back. Seller was civil and fair, but didn’t want to talk about his Fauxnalgo’s origins and didn’t push it. I feel lucky not to have lost my shirt on this one. And by shirt, I mean a silk “Versace” displayed in a fine Milan shop window but made in China.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:51 PM

Glad it worked out for you.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:30 PM

Really happy to hear this had a happy ending! Now you need the real deal C60 and a compare and contrast thread

Old 05-19-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Really happy to hear this had a happy ending! Now you need the real deal C60 and a compare and contrast thread

C60 is the logical next step—but I have a Look 595 frame to build and a couple other frames. The fake was fast but compared with my light steel bikes it felt kind of wooden.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:30 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
The fake was fast but compared with my light steel bikes it felt kind of wooden.

yup, that has been my experience even with some high-end real genuine carbon bikes.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:35 AM

Bike is back up for sale:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...127119738.html

This time he is very careful with his wording. No explanation about where he got it, and the Merlin story is gone. He doesn’t seemed surprised it’s a clone, that’s for sure.

bicycle frame material: carbon fiber
bicycle type: road
brake type: caliper
condition: like new
frame size: 56S / 59cm XL
handlebar type: aero
suspension: none (rigid)
wheel size: 700C

I have a 3 year old Colnago C60 clone with Dura Ace 9100 Groupo, Dura Ace hubs paired with Mavic OpenPro rims. Carbon handlebar and stem. Look Keo carbon pedals. San Marco saddle. (Garmin handlebar mount shown, not included).
I used this bike specifically for climbing Mt Lemmon. This bike rolls so well and has never given me any issues.
I keep all my bikes maintained for top performance as you will see.
This bike is ready to roll!

This frame is a clone. It is a monocoque frame (built as one (1) piece) unlike the authentic Colnago C60 that is butted pieces of carbon joined together. The frame is solid and looks like new.

Size: I am 6’ and know this bike is slightly large for me, but the way the geometry lays out kept me in a great position for climbing. (Colnago’s size is based on a sloping geometry at 56s. Traditional sizing is around 59cm.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 676833E4-F896-405B-B15E-6973EDA39892.jpg (71.1 KB, 367 views)
Old 05-20-2020, 06:03 AM
aka RAEKWON

I am not mad at that. It shows that he did not know or he would be just listing it as he did before. That said, I highly doubt he got it from Merlin, unless Merlin is the name of the dude that sold him the fake nago.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
C60 is the logical next step—but I have a Look 595 frame to build and a couple other frames. The fake was fast but compared with my light steel bikes it felt kind of wooden.

I thought the authentic C60 was incredibly smooth feeling and planted but in achieving this it does seem to remove the road feel you get from steel and to a lesser extent Ti (I’m generalizing here).

Old 05-20-2020, 07:14 AM

wow, super informative thread!