Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM

I was going to say earlier that Concept 2 ergs are the opposite of bikes—they are very reasonably priced for how well made they are, they hold their value incredibly well, they are virtually maintenance-free for years, and replacement parts are inexpensive and readily available even for the oldest models...

And they are built to withstand an incredible amount of punishment. Olympic and World Champion rowers can hammer on them for hours a day, for years. If anyone has seen the Dreissigacker brothers, it’s understandable why that’s so...
Old 11-10-2018, 09:10 PM

I love the way the Water Rower looks but the wife and I have a Concept II and really like it. Picked it up brand new for a STEAL on CL last summer. Thank you crossfit people
Old 12-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Was planning to pick up a Concept2 erg to add some upper body work to my winter training, both of my local fitness stores are pushing the WaterRower.

All my research says the C2 is the one to get, including the discussions here but after trying out both machines side by side I am leaning to the WaterRower.

The WaterRower had more consistent resistance through the stroke, (the C2 felt dead at the top) almost silent, stands up against the wall when not in use, and looks like a nice piece of furniture (it will be in my living room)

Any rowers here that have experience with both machines, and why I should pick one over the other?
I used to have a WaterRower and was happy with it, and sold it years ago. With quarantine situation, after listening to all the helpful voices on this forum, I decided to go with a Concept2 this time. Apparently, everyone else has the same idea and there's a 12ish week wait to get one. I put my name on the waiting list. As luck would have it, I found one locally, a couple years old, for $100 less than new, which is a steal, since these are going for more than retail on eBay. Two points:

Now that I've used a WaterRower and also a C2, I'd say I prefer the WaterRower. I don't have a rowing background, so don't know what it's supposed to feel like and competition isn't my aim.

As the OP originally mentioned, the C2 doesn't engage as fast as the WaterRower, at the top of the stroke. It seems I'm pulling for 2/3rds, OK maybe 3/4s of the stroke, rather than the full stroke. The WaterRower is more easily stowable and looks better at home. Also, it's quieter.

I'll concede the C2 is less expensive, indestructible, holds it's value, and seems to be the choice of experts. Those are very compelling reasons to choose Concept2 over WaterRower. However, I like size, stowability, sound and feel of the WaterRower better.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Doesn’t the water tank require regular treatment?
You drop a small tablet into the tank twice a year. EASY.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:17 PM
quadropheniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I used to have a WaterRower and was happy with it, and sold it years ago. With quarantine situation, after listening to all the helpful voices on this forum, I decided to go with a Concept2 this time. Apparently, everyone else has the same idea and there's a 12ish week wait to get one. I put my name on the waiting list. As luck would have it, I found one locally, a couple years old, for $100 less than new, which is a steal, since these are going for more than retail on eBay. Two points:

Now that I've used a WaterRower and also a C2, I'd say I prefer the WaterRower. I don't have a rowing background, so don't know what it's supposed to feel like and competition isn't my aim.

As the OP originally mentioned, the C2 doesn't engage as fast as the WaterRower, at the top of the stroke. It seems I'm pulling for 2/3rds, OK maybe 3/4s of the stroke, rather than the full stroke. The WaterRower is more easily stowable and looks better at home. Also, it's quieter.

I'll concede the C2 is less expensive, indestructible, holds it's value, and seems to be the choice of experts. Those are very compelling reasons to choose Concept2 over WaterRower. However, I like size, stowability, sound and feel of the WaterRower better.
If I might ask, what brand of water rower did you like as there is a unit for sale locally that has piqued my interest? Thanks
Old 12-04-2020, 07:30 PM

OT: WaterRower or Concept2 Erg

I used to row a little in college and the concept2 is a pretty good simulation.. I’ve wanted to get one for this winter because I’m not sure if I want to deal with winter riding as much this year.

Anyway, there’s a wait list as mentioned, and I put myself on it a few months ago. If anyone is interested, I can send the link to purchase that concept2 sends to you once you finish your wait period. Skip the line, if you want. It’s not a unique link so anyone can buy it, as far as I see.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:34 PM

Update- I purchased a C2 shortly after my original post. The PM5 head unit is great, syncs to the app and Strava. 100% happy with the decision!
Old 12-04-2020, 08:07 PM

Guessing from what I’ve read elsewhere, rowing is not the best for someone with a herniated disc. Any of you guys row with back problems? Looking for an alternative to sitting on a bike that goes nowhere this winter.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Guessing from what I’ve read elsewhere, rowing is not the best for someone with a herniated disc. Any of you guys row with back problems? Looking for an alternative to sitting on a bike that goes nowhere this winter.
I'll let you know. On waiting list for a C2.

Have almost no disc between the c4 and c5. The vertebae have been calcifying/self fusing. Just had a minor flare up this past week. First in a couple years and nothing like the flooring spasms of past.

My wife will use it as well. If I'm a no go, at least it won't be for naught.

Last edited by gbcoupe; 12-04-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:40 PM

I have not had a chance to ever try a water rower, but I have owned a Concept2 Model C since 2012. I picked it up used and have rowed weekly since I got it. A couple of years ago the bungee cords worn down (I think this Model C is from 1993) and a rebuild kit was inexpensive and easy to install. I've been tempted to upgrade the monitor but really don't see the need. I get on it, crank up the tunes (wireless earbuds are a necessity!) and row away. Incredible machine, I highly recommend it.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post
If I might ask, what brand of water rower did you like as there is a unit for sale locally that has piqued my interest? Thanks
I had the WaterRower brand, a wooden one, made of cherry. They're all somewhat alike with the exception of the wood type you choose.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Update- I purchased a C2 shortly after my original post. The PM5 head unit is great, syncs to the app and Strava. 100% happy with the decision!
I'm glad that worked out well for you - they're without a doubt a great product, and they provide an great workout.

One of these days I'm going to buy a C2 SkiErg, but that's probably a year or two down the road.

Last edited by Louis; 12-04-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:45 PM

C2 basically built the market for rowing machines as we know it. They’re accurate, reliable, relatively inexpensive and tend to last a long time even with minimal maintenance. There are other units that simulate the dynamic feel of the rowing stroke a bit more accurately with less unnecessary stresses on the body (oartech, rowperfect) however the water rower is not one of them.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:03 PM
Deconditioned!

I've only rowed in the gym for a handful of years, but always thought I'd like a rower at home (along with a sauna). Gym had C2s. Then Covid hit. The prices are just crazy!

So I got bent over on pricing for kettlebells. Will wait for my C2 and sauna.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
I've only rowed in the gym for a handful of years, but always thought I'd like a rower at home (along with a sauna). Gym had C2s. Then Covid hit. The prices are just crazy!

So I got bent over on pricing for kettlebells. Will wait for my C2 and sauna.
My partner wanted a HydroRow, so we got one of those coming on the BF deal.. will let you all know how it goes. Got good reviews. Seems like a decent way to get some extra strength work in that'd be good for me too. We'll see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk