Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 08:18 PM

+1 for Lezyne. Also, they have great customer service. I had a light where a piece of plastic on the USB charging bracket snapped and they sent me a new part ASAP, even though it was out of warranty.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM

i have one of these on each of my road bikes alongside the bottle cages. and the mtb version in my hydro pack. love these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post

Old 07-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Because of my approaching senility, I manage to forget a pocket pump when I travel, so I buy...another one. Here is the collection to date, with a glue tube for scale. Fave is the Lenzyne (3rd from left)--with the little kick-down foot stand. Very well engineered and you can hit 120 psi if you are adventurous. It looks a little dorky, since it sticks out from the pocket quite a bit. But is resembles a long-barrel pistol, which is probably an advantage these days. The others will get you home with reasonable pressure. The Topeak with the flip-horizontal grip (first at left) gets respectable pressure. Many times I have stopped to help fellow cyclists whose CO2 cartridges have failed, or didn't mate well with the chuck. Just saying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small pumps.jpg (72.7 KB, 271 views)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 PM

I just picked up a Silca Tattico to replace an old Lezyne Road Drive that got stolen with my bike.

The Lezyne was better than some other hand pumps I’ve had but I definitely had a harder time getting it up to high pressures (size medium) vs the Tattico.

First impressions: I can say that the Tattico is much beefier and appears better built. It’s about 60g heavier but I like that you don’t have to unscrew the hose and reattach prior to pumping- it just slides out. Locking head is nice as well. Pumping action appears much smoother.

Downsides are that it’s heavier and bulkier. It wouldn’t fit in the seat tube position so it’s on the down tube now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 PM

I have used a Lezyne Pressure Drive for the past five or so years. It is great, efficient and well constructed. Really like the hose storage with precision closure/end cap. I recommend this 100 percent.

I used it a lot in Northern Alberta but have only had to loan it out to others with flats in Vancouver. They had usually spent their CO2 and were outta luck.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
i have one of these on each of my road bikes alongside the bottle cages. and the mtb version in my hydro pack. love these things
Also, have the same pump on three of our bikes, one of the best mini pumps I've owned.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:40 AM

Lezyne HP for road and the HV for mountain biking.

The screw on chuck and flexible hose are the bee’s knees. Even the gauge works well on the HP.

Last edited by Marc40a; 07-02-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:25 AM

Lezyne Road Drive here. I rarely get flats but did last month and the pump worked fine. Takes some time to get it up to 80psi but the hose attachment makes it much easier to use than the types that connect directly to the valve. Compact and stores nicely next to the bottle cage.

Tim
Old 07-02-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Lezyne Road Drive here. I rarely get flats but did last month and the pump worked fine. Takes some time to get it up to 80psi but the hose attachment makes it much easier to use than the types that connect directly to the valve. Compact and stores nicely next to the bottle cage.

Tim
I use this as well. Stores nicely on its little bracket next to a bottle cage and works like a champ.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post

I like the longer version of these pumps. They work very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-02-2018, 09:59 AM

I have both the Topeak Race Rocket HP and the Lezyne Pressure Drive. In my opinion the Topeak is worlds better. I know others like the Lezyne but I personally thinks it’s an over-engineered and kludgey design. The little rubber hose / valve covers on both ends always snag on my jersey pocket and come off. To use it you have to completely remove the hose from one end and then screw it onto the other end. It’s one piece of kit that seems to be determined to put me in a foul mood when I have to use it ;-) I may try a Lezyne product in the future, but this one makes me hesitate.

The Race Rocket on the other hand is just as well built, much more simple, doesn’t snag, and just plain look better. You just rotate the end to slide the hose out and you’re ready to go. Pumps a tire up every bit as well, but is a bit shorter so it fits in my jersey pocket better.

Again...just my opinion.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 AM

Best Mini Pump

The best mini pump is the one that you never have to use!
That way you never find out how good or bad it is-

I had a Specialized road mini pump in my jersey for a really long time- Had not flatted in an equally long time.
1st ride on vacation in Hawaii, 15 minutes from condo, I flat, had a hard time getting tire off, and then I can't get air into the tube.
I blame the tube, then I realize it was the pump- Had to call my wife to come get me.
Ended up needing to buy a new pump, multiple tubes, CO2 cartridges, and even a larger seat bag in order to hold all my gear.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Any feedback on this: https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=12&minor=2 ?
Old 07-02-2018, 12:55 PM

i'll admit, i don't get the move to carrying these things in the rear pocket. i'd much rather have a saddle bag and a minipump stowed on the bike itself rather than a tool wallet and pump pulling down on my jersey pockets. i suppose it can get expensive if you have a lot of bikes, but for a few bikes, it's totally worth it for each bike to have their own little setup.

and since we're talking about pocketable pumps, if you use the little bottle cage mount for these minipumps they literally disappear behind a water bottle.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:24 PM

+1 for the Lezyne Pressure Drive. It's pretty light and fits nicely in a pocket.