Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 09:59 AM

Also, the snow isnt too bad.

What is bad are the never-ending series of days without discernible sunshine. Nothing but overcast for 10-14 days straight. Truly dreadful stuff, and i even have one of those special lights for seasonal affective disorder. Reminded me of the gray milieu described in McCarthy’s The Road.

Really grateful that period of winter has passed.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:15 AM

Epic and it’s campus was featured on CBS Sunday Morning today.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:04 AM

I'm in Appleton (where Saab and I met when we both were a lot younger than we are now, but he always was and will be younger and faster).

A lot of development has taken place since then, but I can still be on country roads will decent traffic in about 15 minutes. 30 minutes out it can be pretty quiet.

For rolling/hilly terrain the driftless area already mentioned is great. One of my sons and family is about 30 min north of Milwaukee in Cedarburg, and great riding there through the glaciated Kettle Moraine area. If I was to move for cycling it would be in that direction (about 90 min from Appleton).

But you can embrace the winter with fat biking, nordic skiing and other fun -- biathlon clubs on the west side of Madison (Middleton/Blackhawk Ridge), between Milwaukee and Madison (Eagle/McMiller Sports Center) and Green Bay area (Suamico/Green Bay Nordic). I do have to admit the prolonged grey stretch this year did start to wear a bit....

Northern WI and the UP are amazing mtb areas.

It depends on what you want in a city -- size, traffic, amenities etc. I don't have anything pulling me to Madison, but there's good riding as cited. As is there around here and north of Milwaukee as well.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
I'm in Appleton (where Saab and I met when we both were a lot younger than we are now, but he always was and will be younger and faster).

A lot of development has taken place since then, but I can still be on country roads will decent traffic in about 15 minutes. 30 minutes out it can be pretty quiet.

For rolling/hilly terrain the driftless area already mentioned is great. One of my sons and family is about 30 min north of Milwaukee in Cedarburg, and great riding there through the glaciated Kettle Moraine area. If I was to move for cycling it would be in that direction (about 90 min from Appleton).

But you can embrace the winter with fat biking, nordic skiing and other fun -- biathlon clubs on the west side of Madison (Middleton/Blackhawk Ridge), between Milwaukee and Madison (Eagle/McMiller Sports Center) and Green Bay area (Suamico/Green Bay Nordic). I do have to admit the prolonged grey stretch this year did start to wear a bit....

Northern WI and the UP are amazing mtb areas.

It depends on what you want in a city -- size, traffic, amenities etc. I don't have anything pulling me to Madison, but there's good riding as cited. As is there around here and north of Milwaukee as well.
Is this normal? Or was this year particularly bad? Also, do the grey stretches occur further south (say Chicago area) or is it a Wisconsin specialty?

It's our first year here, and if things turn out well, we'd love to stay here. Only thing that seems to faze me is the grey stretch (probably good time for a vacation somewhere sunny).
Old 02-23-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
Wisconsin has the best road riding on some of the worst roads...
Things have changed. When I lived there, Wisconsin was known for the quality of its roads.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Is this normal? Or was this year particularly bad? Also, do the grey stretches occur further south (say Chicago area) or is it a Wisconsin specialty?

It's our first year here, and if things turn out well, we'd love to stay here. Only thing that seems to faze me is the grey stretch (probably good time for a vacation somewhere sunny).
Having grown up in the Appleton area, lived in the Milwaukee area for eight years and now living near Madison, I’d say that long gray stretch was a bit unusual... more common to have frigid temps with bright sunshine. Madison does seem to be a little more sunny on average.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:29 PM

The OP is moving from Seattle. I don't think a few cloudy days will throw him into a tailspin. Cloudy gray days will be the least of weather conditions he'll be disappointed with. I was born and grew up in Washington and vacation there every other year. The gray days in Wisconsin are nil by comparison
Old 02-23-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
The OP is moving from Seattle. I don't think a few cloudy days will throw him into a tailspin. Cloudy gray days will be the least of weather conditions he'll be disappointed with. I was born and grew up in Washington and vacation there every other year. The gray days in Wisconsin are nil by comparison
Frame of reference is important! First, this is the first year I can recall in a long time where a grey stretch feels really long, and second, compared to PNW this is sunny haven. Now not CO mountain sunny, but the sun to rain ratio is such that I have friends that pass on riding in the rain because they can wait a day or two and go out in nice conditions.

So don't let that aspect of the conversation here create serious doubts...
Old 02-23-2020, 03:35 PM

Thank you for all of the great replies and tips. Definitely excited to check it out.

Indeed having lived in Seattle for most of my life, I am quite used to grey skies.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:20 PM

You'll be fine. I don't like cities but I have always said if I had to live in one Madison would be my first choice. Good food, bars, music, people and cycling .
Old 02-23-2020, 05:32 PM

FWIW Spotted Cow is a beer, not something you get milk or hamburger from.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
FWIW Spotted Cow is a beer, not something you get milk or hamburger from.
And for the record not sold outside of Wisconsin as far as I know.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:01 PM

Let's just remember that Seattle rain is no thunderstorm like we get here.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:44 PM

The city of Madison plows the bike paths in the winter. I can string together 2-3 hours of riding the plowed paths in the winter.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:02 PM

Although not terribly surprising, it's too bad to read all negative the posts about winter in Wisconsin. This has been a fantastic season for fat biking! I'm pretty sure there's just as many fat bike races as there are XC races in the summer. There are a few choices of trail systems Madison that have groomed fat bike trails in the winter.

There's also the WEMS (endurance mtb) series, which is super fun and laid back, along with big endurance mtb races like Chequamegon 100 and Wausau 24. There's also a bunch of fondo and gravel rides within a two hour drive of Madison. Endless gravel in the Northwoods really isn't too far away.

I'd also say that in Madison, you've got a really strong advocacy culture. There's a ton of bike lanes and paths, and there's always a bunch of bikey events going on.