Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 10:14 AM

I have no problem with people voluntarily doing dangerous things and I think that we like to see people on the edge of human possibility.

Like that Alex Honnold kid. It is exciting because of the risk and if he falls and dies I will not feel bad for him or guilty for enjoying his pursuit of excellence.

NASCAR in general is a little boring for me but my preferred motorsport (F1) can be pretty boring as well. Especially to the non super fan. I suspect that NASCAR is more interesting when you know all the inside baseball.

I hope that driver recovers and comes back and finds success.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:25 AM

think of being the wife and mother of two kids married to a driver

and having your husband/dad doing that for a living. glorious when you are alive, not so when you are dead or maimed. the choices we make.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 AM

Never was a NASCAR fan or any motor sport racing really but those drivers have baws of steel to be doing 200+ miles per hour in a mad dash to finish. I can't believe anyone could survive a crash like that and it was amazing how the guy who hit him from behind held it together.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Because it's too dangerous?
Yes. Opportunities for crash on bike, broken bones, what have you, could scuttle his Indycar season. Sponsors and commitments would not be happy.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:08 AM

Well I'll be "that guy". The best thing about watching NASCAR is the wrecks ! Yeah I said it. I honestly don't want to see anyone hurt but the wrecks are totally cool to see! Drivers know and accept the risks just like I did all the times I ran autocross (so not dangerous) or even the time spent running at Summit Point. Off the track at turn 10 a few times from going in too aggressive.

I also loved watching the NFL when it was real football and players could actually hit each other. But then I grew up playing tackle football without any gear to include travelling all over in my H.S. years for pickup games. Loved the contact, and the pain. Always went into it know that things could go wrong and sometimes they did.

Oh and I also used to ride in the back of a pickup as a kid......
Old 02-19-2020, 11:20 AM
Randomhead

All I have ever really liked was the short track races, and then they managed to ruin Bristol. So now only Martinsville is left. I still think I want to go there for a race. Closer than Bristol anyway. I have heard the local NASCAR races in the lower categories are a lot of fun.

We drove past Pocono this year. I was at a fan's house and he said he stopped going to Pocono when it took 5 hours to get to the interstate. The track is just a few miles off the interstate, so it's hard to understand how that could be. Sorta killed any desire I had of going there. Plus, the cup races almost always end up being fuel economy races, which I find boring
Old 02-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
All I have ever really liked was the short track races, and then they managed to ruin Bristol. So now only Martinsville is left. I still think I want to go there for a race. Closer than Bristol anyway. I have heard the local NASCAR races in the lower categories are a lot of fun.
When I lived up the road from Gettysburg I'd go watch the dirt track racing at Trail-Way Speedway. Very informal and quite entertaining.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:35 AM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
"The veteran driver is fully alert and walking around Halifax Medical Center. True to his jovial nature, he has also been joking with staff, friends and family while spending time playing with his two daughters," the statement said.
https://www.wesh.com/article/ryan-ne...rash/30999018#

Phew!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Phew is right......glad he's able to take this picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newman.JPG (46.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 02-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Yes. Opportunities for crash on bike, broken bones, what have you, could scuttle his Indycar season. Sponsors and commitments would not be happy.
Kind of ironic, considering the high risk of his profession.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:57 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

And he has been released from the hospital.

NASCAR has come a long way with safety

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM
Randomhead

people say the car of tomorrow ruined cup racing, and they may be right. But the whole reason is the previous cars weren't very safe. Go watch the Waltrip crash at Brisol. People joke about it because he lived, but look at the car and try to figure out how that is possible
https://youtu.be/uzxcuV5rmA4

His brother ran out of the announcing booth and down to the car because he thought he was dead. And there were fairly regular deaths after that, not so much any more. It's hard to draw a comparison, but the cars hold up in a crash.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
When I lived up the road from Gettysburg I'd go watch the dirt track racing at Trail-Way Speedway. Very informal and quite entertaining.
I've heard that dirt track racing overall, but especially the sprint cars, are beginning to increase in popularity. I can believe it. For me, much more entertaining than NASCAR and a lot more affordable.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:24 PM

I like it

I enjoy watching the races. Now, I may not sit down for 4 hours to do so but I do tune in when I can. I also enjoy Indy, Outlaws, NHRA, etc. Seen the Outlaws live as well as the U.S. Nationals in Indy. Pretty darn cool, especially live. Glad to see he is out already. Amazing considering the violence of that crash. And less than a couple days later. Wonder how soon he'll get back in the car?

Last edited by Matthew; 02-19-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
people say the car of tomorrow ruined cup racing, and they may be right. But the whole reason is the previous cars weren't very safe. Go watch the Waltrip crash at Brisol. People joke about it because he lived, but look at the car and try to figure out how that is possible
https://youtu.be/uzxcuV5rmA4

His brother ran out of the announcing booth and down to the car because he thought he was dead. And there were fairly regular deaths after that, not so much any more. It's hard to draw a comparison, but the cars hold up in a crash.
Cripes that was unbelievable. Considering that Dale was essentially killed that way, a head on collision, it's amazing that guy was in such good shape. He found the weakest part of that wall system and Bang, what luck. I hope they improved the walls after that because that's pretty ridiculous. IF it was straight through concrete wall that would have been nothing but a bump and a slide.