Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Migrating to Dirt

Scared of the Road, Cyclists Are Migrating to Dirt
https://www.outsideonline.com/240108...roads-for-dirt
Old 08-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Kind of OK

I find myself "migrating", but really, not out of any fear...I just like 'cross/gravel/MTB. I still use my commute to work as a training ride, but I don't own a "road bike" any more. Don't get me wrong, I still like the swoopy fast feel of a road bike, but that's not where my love of competitive cycling moves me. Road racing in the US has devolved to crit, crit, crit. I hate crits. So it;s off pavement I go.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 AM

For me, it's more a function of smiles/hour - hit the trail and I can get a great workout and a ton of endorphins pumping in 60-90 minutes. Road hasn't really done that for me in a while.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:20 AM

After more than 40 years of being a roadie, and at one point racing MTB and then cyclocross, I started running 5 years ago.

And specifically trail running.

These days I'm more likely to go for a run than for a ride. Nothing new, really, for me to learn, to prove (to myself) on a bike. Running is still all new. Lots to learn, new boundaries to push, new limits to explore.

And the distracted driver scenario is easier to identify/manage when running. Especially when trail running.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM

19 people died in a city of 8.6 million. I know not all 8.6 million ride bicycles but still. About 100 pedestrians were killed in NYC last year so are we all going to only walk in the woods now?

Just trying to put a little perspective in it. I'm not running for the plastic sheeting and duct tape just yet
Old 08-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Outside Online is a hypebeast for click-through ad revenue. Based on the number of times I've seen this posted on facebook and the lack of actual substance in the article, more of the same ATMO.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:05 AM

I'm not going to click through but I wasn't bothered by any of it until I got hit from behind in 2008 (driver going 50 drove through a group of us). Then when I was back on the bike later that summer I got mirrored (another older person, probably had no idea she clipped me with her mirror). Then in 2009 I got hit again and had a broken hand that took me months to heal and rehab (this guy not only saw me but looked me in the eye before taking off and nearly running me over a second time).

I spend less time on pavement now... it's been a decade, I'm basically over it but don't push my luck any longer. I still ride on some pavement but have become quite particular to roads and times.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
I'm not going to click through but I wasn't bothered by any of it until I got hit from behind in 2008 (driver going 50 drove through a group of us). Then when I was back on the bike later that summer I got mirrored (another older person, probably had no idea she clipped me with her mirror). Then in 2009 I got hit again and had a broken hand that took me months to heal and rehab (this guy not only saw me but looked me in the eye before taking off and nearly running me over a second time).

I spend less time on pavement now... it's been a decade, I'm basically over it but don't push my luck any longer. I still ride on some pavement but have become quite particular to roads and times.
YEah but have you ever hit a tree?
Old 08-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
YEah but have you ever hit a tree?
I do believe I've hit a few things on dirt including trees!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Bike Guy

I’m very fortunate where I live that traffic is low, road cyclists are plenty, and the road conditions warrant somewhat attentive drivers. Combine that with my road rides being some mixture of paved and unpaved roads. Is that still “road” biking? They are county maintained but obviously offer higher levels of peace and quiet and riding engagement over the all paved variants. That being said I do find the urge comes in most weeks to climb and descend some of the better paved mountain roads around me.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
I’m very fortunate where I live that traffic is low, road cyclists are plenty, and the road conditions warrant somewhat attentive drivers. Combine that with my road rides being some mixture of paved and unpaved roads. Is that still “road” biking? They are county maintained but obviously offer higher levels of peace and quiet and riding engagement over the all paved variants. That being said I do find the urge comes in most weeks to climb and descend some of the better paved mountain roads around me.

Wow that sounds great indeed!
In which region/ city do you live?
Old 08-23-2019, 04:18 AM

Meh, I'm more likely to be killed in an auto accident driving a "gravel" bike two hours each way to ride it on a lightly traveled gravel road than I am riding from my door to door on public roads.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:36 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

My plan has been to make reasonable and prudent choices with a calculated amount of modest risk. Seek balance.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Outside used to be a decent publication, and some of their stuff still is, but the cycling related content is generally complete rubbish.

it's all flavor of the month articles written so they can [try] and expand their reader base and branch out to the cycling community to try and garner more clicks to their site.

with regard to this article, of course these days there is more interest in dirt road riding, but it's a bit ridiculous to presume lots of road cyclists can just make the choice to "switch" to riding dirt - especially in the context of NYC cyclists.

a typical dedicated NYC cyclist will ride in the park several days a week, commute to work and hit 9W/river road when he/she has more time, and maybe escape further upstate or take a car road trip with the bike frequently.

it's not as if they can decide tomorrow - yup, too much risk, too much traffic, i'm just going to stick to dirt from now on. haha. there no dirt in NYC, and no way to get to it without riding the road to get there.

for most folks who have been road cyclists for a while, the story is the same - we have road right outside our front door and have to travel to get to some dirt, either with a car or via riding the bike on roads to get there. few people have the luxury of miles and miles of dirt roads out their front door without needing to hit blacktop for 50% or more of the ride.

while i do agree with the idea that many roadies are getting frustrated with the increased risk of the road and are gravitating toward fatter tire bikes and less trafficked areas, to make it seem as if it's a simple choice to just switch to dirt is way over simplified.

IMO
Old 08-23-2019, 06:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
19 people died in a city of 8.6 million. I know not all 8.6 million ride bicycles but still. About 100 pedestrians were killed in NYC last year so are we all going to only walk in the woods now?

Just trying to put a little perspective in it. I'm not running for the plastic sheeting and duct tape just yet
me neither..Are drivers distracted? Yes..Are 'things' that supposedly help people on bikes helping? Some yes, some no and some..meh. BUT not ready to pack up my Groad bike in the car to drive to that gravel path, like ohh so many MTB riders do around here. Gravel roads? Yup, some around the self proclaimed cycling mecca(the republic) but loose, rutted, not-so-much fun..in spite of putting yer brand new dirt rig on it.

So, sorry, and this from a guy who got hit from behind, while riding, on a Saturday morning, by a 'distracted'(sleeping)..driver..

If ya like this 'migration(still pretty small, BTW)..good on ya but the road is fine for me, thanks.
Quote:
About 100 pedestrians were killed in NYC last year so are we all going to only walk in the woods now?
Great points also right above from 'Angry'..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-23-2019 at 06:31 AM.