Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I'm pretty sure that when the Diva dies, a Linea will replace it (unless I win the lotto, then it's a single group slayer!). It's such a workhorse machine.

I've been married 17 years, and almost without fail, I pull two doubles before the kids wake up and steam some milk for dry caps. Some mornings, I do the math, hand her the coffee and say, "that makes No. 6204 ;-) Happy wife, Happy life.

When the Diva has needed servicing, my wife counts the days til it's return. If it dies, I'm certain my wife will hand me a blank check and say "replace it...TODAY!"

Same situation. I had had an ECM Giotto that predated my wife. It started to give up the ghost after 15 years of service. When I got a new job 2-1/2 years ago and started day dreaming about machines, my wife said “clearly the slayer is ridiculous, but think about how many cappuccino you make for me, get the la marzocco”.

Cheers to our wives!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 PM

I’m totally in the same boat as you guys. My wife has never once asked me to spare an expense when it comes to making coffee at home. She used to be a Starbucks/sugary drink fan. As soon as I started pulling shots at home on good gear...man we’ve planned entire family outings multiple times around a local roaster or bar. She wants me to get an upgraded second grinder for those rare days when I want pourover just so I don’t dare even consider screwing up grind settings on whatever I’m working with.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Boeuf Chane

You guys crack me up. I'm not sure who's more obsessed, coffee fanatics or tubular tire aficionados.

(although I bet there's a huge overlap in the two populations' Venn diagram)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
You guys crack me up. I'm not sure who's more obsessed, coffee fanatics or tubular tire aficionados.

Guilty. I am both. And I have a roaster and have built several sets of my own wheels.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
We can Hang. An aeropress and a Porlex are always in my luggage;-)

I too had a PID'd Silvia+Rocky that lived in my office. The PID made all the difference. Pulled great shots with that setup.
another one with PID Silvia

btw, I think i asked this before, any of you Silvia owner been able to do decent latte arts?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 AM

Do your wives give lessons?

Mine prefers regular American coffee (even loves flavored Dunkin’s dreck.).

Oh, also doesn’t understand why anyone would need more than one bike. And don’t get her started on how dumb an idea a Ferrari is.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Do your wives give lessons?

Mine prefers regular American coffee (even loves flavored Dunkin’s dreck.).

Oh, also doesn’t understand why anyone would need more than one bike. And don’t get her started on how dumb an idea a Ferrari is.

Baby steps.

When we first started dating. I bought her a bike. A hybrid. A Giant Liv pink thing. She started riding more and more and now loves riding and has two road bikes (including a custom steel lugged Goodrich).

When we started living together, she was massively unpersuaded that my espresso machine was anything other than a nuisance. Cappuccino with latte art delivered while she was still in bed got her to give it a chance. Now she is asking me if I don’t need a new grinder for my birthday.

She has become more of a coffee snob while away from home than I am.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:48 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:

I'm like Fly...in the "tubulars and coffee are one in the same subject" category. My wife surprised me a few years with a gift of an espresso machine and then a nice grinder. She did her homework on the gear and appreciates a good shot as well as anyone now. Home roasting might end our marriage though, as I know how far that I can push the envelope.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 AM

For all the Campy lovers, these are of pretty nice quality and look good. There are a few Tampa based Cuban style grinds here for a change from Lavazza. Currently using a Gaggia Classic, (pretty good little machine), and a Moccamaster for drip. The Alex machine looks very nice indeed...!! We need a "should I upgrade my machine" thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3cc.jpg (125.3 KB, 337 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef58 View Post
For all the Campy lovers, these are of pretty nice quality and look good.
I want those but dont like the price (or really need them, I have the Rocket set and others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef58 View Post
We need a "should I upgrade my machine" thread.
Hahah answer 9 of 10 times will be yes!

Someone asked about the Sette 270Wi I think? I like that thing, Ive seen the weighting off by .5 gram in reviews, but it was consistent so you could adjust for it.

My bag of coffee ran out earlier than anticipated today...wife is still asleep...I may have to walk down to the roaster when they open in an hour...
Old 10-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Maybe we need a Yuge Venn diagram for all the subjects we are ‘fanatics’ of?

Bikes(many sub-groups) to obscure things like coffee, motorcycles, fly fishing and yeegads, guns.

My coffee bench? Car keys or bicycle to get to Vic’s down the street.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
another one with PID Silvia

btw, I think i asked this before, any of you Silvia owner been able to do decent latte arts?

I did have a Silvia/Rocky combo in the past. To be honest, it drove me nuts. Could never get consistent shot nor good 'paint' like milk.

I eventually upgraded to a Rocket Giotto and vario grinder, was like night and day. Perfect consistent tiger striped shots, and steaming was incredibly easy to get perfect milk. But $$$
Old 10-11-2018, 08:19 AM

Has anyone else been following the Decent Espresso project on Facebook?

Really interesting stuff and totally transparent. John has been sharing every step of the development and is already shipping product.

https://decentespresso.com/
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM

I'm by no means whatsover a coffee guy but we have had a cultish espresso machine for 31 years. Until lately I've just been the espresso machine admin at our house but have now started having a cappuccino occasionally. Our old machine is now at our second home and has been rebuilt and is going strong. When my wife retired in late March I bought her a new red one to celebrate. Olympia Express Cremina:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old fashioned, molto pricey, etc., but dang easy to make a great cappuccino or espresso.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I did have a Silvia/Rocky combo in the past. To be honest, it drove me nuts. Could never get consistent shot nor good 'paint' like milk.

I eventually upgraded to a Rocket Giotto and vario grinder, was like night and day. Perfect consistent tiger striped shots, and steaming was incredibly easy to get perfect milk. But $$$
gotcha. and by incredibly easy to get perfect milk, i presume that it was almost "second nature" and didn't require too steep a learning curve.

the other thing i'm considering is to pay for lessons on steaming and latte art

i mean, eff it, i'm already paying lessons on how to ride a MTB properly; surely doing a latte art would have greater utility

------------------------------------------

speaking of buying used, any particularly good machines to get, where i can buy at say 3-5 years used, skip the depreciation, and still get 20 years out of it?

Last edited by echappist; 01-24-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso