Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
Who buys that crap?
Know your audience.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
What's the aluminum frame 105 component just solid but real ride of the espresso world? Rancilio Silvia?
Kinda depends on what you drink and how often you drink it. I've had one, great little machine especially with a PID, which runs just south of $200. If you can replace your brake cables, you can install a PID.

It's got serious quality parts inside, all of which are readily available should something go wrong. It's a single boiler machine though, so recovery time is slow between shots and steam is just so-so.

This is a great deal that's nearby if interested though. $600 for a silvia AND rocky!
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh...723391379.html
Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Kinda depends on what you drink and how often you drink it. I've had one, great little machine especially with a PID, which runs just south of $200. If you can replace your brake cables, you can install a PID.

It's got serious quality parts inside, all of which are readily available should something go wrong. It's a single boiler machine though, so recovery time is slow between shots and steam is just so-so.

This is a great deal that's nearby if interested though. $600 for a silvia AND rocky!
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh...723391379.html
I researched and bought mine 10 years ago, but I think it still likely fits the bill for minimum entry to a quality unit. I am sure there are a few other good options in this range as well.

I am sure the PID makes things easier to ensure your temp is always right, but I do not feel it is a need in anyway and have never felt the need to upgrade to PID. I just have a routine such that I am always pulling my shot X seconds after the ready point and through testing (X = 45 sec for me), found that to likely align to ideal temp.

To facilitate, I wait till its hot, run water through the portafilter to warm my cup and get the heat light to come back on. Then I prep my portafilter while it reheats and then wait 45 sec after light goes off and pull my shot.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:13 PM

Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Rocky grinder.

Like every other hobby (bikes, guitar stuff), I got totally obsessed with gear. For ages I looked to upgrade my stuff, but ultimately I got distracted by the next hobby and stopped obsessing over coffee gear. I realized that I've been using this setup for like 4 years or so, making coffee every day, and have been super happy.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:06 PM

Ok I will keep an eye out for a Silvia or gaggia. Some have come up locally but sell quickly if a good deal...

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 09:43 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
What's the aluminum frame 105 component just solid but real ride of the espresso world? Rancilio Silvia?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
I would vote for a Gaggia Classic - I use mine with a Gaggia MDF grinder. Good entry combo, but the Rancilio grinder is better. After ~5 years of use I am finally upgrading to a heat exchange machine.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Not on my workbench, but in my rando bag: Aeropress and Snowpeak Ti cup with snowpeak Ti stove. Mid-rid coffee outside is great.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Anyone want to throw out a suggestion for best quality (for) value mail order beans?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Anyone want to throw out a suggestion for best quality (for) value mail order beans?
I use the amazingly average Lavazza beans most of the time. I do this because it's something that is found at the most average Italian cafe, and it brings back good memories of being in Italy and gulping down multiple 1 Euro espressos.

Every so often I get some high quality, local beans and I'll be amazed at how good the coffee can be out of my machine. Then I run out and go back to my working class Italian beans.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I order Intelligentsia online. They send coupons if you blow them off for a while. What comes is very fresh for mail order- usually just roasted from the location that has roasted what you ordered most recently. I think generally, decent local beans is a better idea but as above, you could do Lavazza or one of the specialty espressos which are packed for better longevity. I don't have a super palate for it, but I can smell the difference when I grind fresher beans, though.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:20 PM

This may be deep in this thread, but its a great article (on an American legend). Not necessarily about coffee, but maybe the search for the perfect cup and, how sometimes the keep it simple formula goes the distance.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-zanes-731414/
Old 10-25-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Coffee beans direct. Very reasonable prices, relatively low shipping (especially if you are on the East Coast), and great beans, to boot.

Oh, and they also support local bike racing. My go to when I don't have a place selling beans by the quarter-pound nearby
Old 10-25-2018, 02:48 PM

I just ordered a gaggia classic. lowest price was at whole latte love, and then they had a 7% coupon going right now. 333 shipped. This is my first real machine. looking forward to it. I just could not see spending much more than that. like many people can't see spending more than that on a bike...

I have a few bricks of pre-ground coffee I brought back from Italy. When that is done I will get a grinder. Probably the gaggia.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I just ordered a gaggia classic. lowest price was at whole latte love, and then they had a 7% coupon going right now. 333 shipped. This is my first real machine. looking forward to it. I just could not see spending much more than that. like many people can't see spending more than that on a bike...

I have a few bricks of pre-ground coffee I brought back from Italy. When that is done I will get a grinder. Probably the gaggia.
Good luck and have fun
Old 10-25-2018, 05:06 PM

could someone comment on the grinders on sale at this place? is the Eureka a good deal and a good machine?

https://www.1st-line.com/shop/sale/refurbished-returns/

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso