Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Administrator

one thing to consider is that "rolling coal" MAY not always be an intentional act.

unless the truck is newer and tuned just right, generally speaking when you step on the go pedal quickly the air/fuel ratio goes rich and black smoke pours out.

I can picture a plausible scenario where a truck may slow down to give a cyclist some space and wait for oncoming traffic to make a wide berth in order to pass, and then, after slowing down creating black smoke while trying to accelerate quickly and safely pass the cyclist as oncoming traffic allows.

of course many times it is intentional, but maybe not every time.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Judge away, I don't care what you think!

And as stated above, what pepole's choices are do define them.
Not caring what other people think is also quite telling...and a choice that I'd say defines someone quite well...

I drive a Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid). It's a great car, and I enjoy driving it....stereo is excellent, seats are comfy, safety features are wonderful, and it's cheap to own/use. Does that choice define me?

If I need to haul big things, I rent the appropriate vehicle. The rest of the time I enjoy the efficiency of my right-sized car for moving my wife and me from home to groceries, hiking, restaurants, and seeing friends. It would be a different calculus if we had six kids, a Costco membership, and/or were general contractors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
one thing to consider is that "rolling coal" MAY not always be an intentional act.

unless the truck is newer and tuned just right, generally speaking when you step on the go pedal quickly the air/fuel ratio goes rich and black smoke pours out.

I can picture a plausible scenario where a truck may slow down to give a cyclist some space and wait for oncoming traffic to make a wide berth in order to pass, and then, after slowing down creating black smoke while trying to accelerate quickly and safely pass the cyclist as oncoming traffic allows.

True......but also infuriating in the case of commercial vehicles (box vans) that should be routinely checked for emissions controls and fined appropriately. Most rollers know exactly what they are doing and the police look the other way.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
True......but also infuriating in the case of commercial vehicles (box vans) that should be routinely checked for emissions controls and fined appropriately. Most rollers know exactly what they are doing and the police look the other way.

i agree completely.

i wonder if this is a big problem in CA where they seem to take "smog" pretty seriously?
Old 08-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
I've found the best response to this type of exhibition by a member of the 'neck crowd, is a friendly smile and wave. They're just trying to get a cyclist angry while they chuckle and cheer as they speed off. But a smile...and a wave, that'll thrown them off and they'll soon realize it doesn't get the desired out lash as they had hoped. Eventually they'll stop. After practicing this method for about a year, I haven't been bother for almost 9 years now.
They're looking for you to get mad to somehow justify their actions. Smiling and waving has the opposite effect.

If you must yell something, yell something like 'I love you too!'

Then cuss as much as you want under your breath.

M
Old 08-25-2019, 03:52 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Just kicking some smoke at you isn't the same. If there's any doubt, it's not "rolling coal."

---

I'd gone my entire cycling life without having ever been successfully rolled-coal upon (couple guys made half-assed failed attempts over the many years), until about two months ago. Now it's happened several times, and I've had things thrown at me, been shouted at, gravel very deliberately kicked up at me, and more. And what's worse, it seems to happen with higher frequency when I ride with my girlfriend than when I'm alone, and she won't even ride alone anymore because of how badly she gets harassed on her own- one guy a couple months ago even driving right at her head-on as if to hit her, before veering off honking and screaming at her.

It feels like there's been some kind of attitude shift out there. Bullying is suddenly cool. Was zur hölle?
Old 08-25-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Your statement is much more revealing about your mentality than that of hybrid/EV drivers. You’re making judgements based on someone’s choice of vehicle. Is that really fair to them? Would you want to be judged by your vehicle or (gasp) bike choice?

Greg

+1

When we veer from bike discussion it becomes pretty clear how we aren't all on the same page. A lot of grumpy people on this forum.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
+1

When we veer from bike discussion it becomes pretty clear how we aren't all on the same page. A lot of grumpy people on this forum.
It's been really hot and really humid here in the swamp that is the DC area. Makes for grumpy people despite it not being winter

M
Old 08-25-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
They're looking for you to get mad to somehow justify their actions. Smiling and waving has the opposite effect.

If you must yell something, yell something like 'I love you too!'

Then cuss as much as you want under your breath.

M
this is actually what it is about IMO

let's just say some, uh, repressed feelings that need an outlet
Old 08-25-2019, 06:48 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
this is actually what it is about IMO

let's just say some, uh, repressed feelings that need an outlet
since everyone is criticizing everyones analysis of everyone, i'll slip in my own:

while i understand the intent is only to be as insulting to the "bully" as possible, and it seems questioning a toxic man's sexuality is one of the more efficient ways of doing so, i think we should move away from using sexuality and sexual identity as a weapon, in general. really seems counterproductive to social progress at this point.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:53 PM
50 bpm

Good lord ... everyone needs to take a deep breath.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Judge away, I don't care what you think!
And as stated above, what pepole's choices are do define them.
i drive a ford f250 and a vw wagon, define me...

this thread is so weird, and this forum gets weirder too with every one of these posts. like not a good weird.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Good lord ... everyone needs to take a deep breath.
wait till the smoke clears, though
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 AM
Yours truly

I got coal rolled recently. All captured by both of my front and rear cameras in vivid detail. Sent the footage and filed a complaint with our sheriff's. They called the guy and were told it was unintentional. Basically they told me I am SOL. They also told me even with a violation it would be a minor fine.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
I got coal rolled recently. All captured by both of my front and rear cameras in vivid detail. Sent the footage and filed a complaint with our sheriff's. They called the guy and were told it was unintentional. Basically they told me I am SOL. They also told me even with a violation it would be a minor fine.
Minor fines are still a deterrent. Coal rolling isn't funny, it's illegal. Modifying a vehicle's emissions system is illegal in many (all?) states. It's also a specific violation to deliberately "roll coal" on other road users in multiple states. These points have nothing to do with the demographics of coal rollers. It's the law, plain and simple. Let's not argue over the motivations of coal rollers. Ad hominem attacks are not going to be effective. Stay calm and report the coal rollers to legal authorities. Tickets and fines are the best way to stop this practice.

Greg