Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 AM

which brakes to use on boyds?

I have a set of carbon clincher boyd altimonts to which i have no matching boyd specific brake pads. What i do have are zipp platinum pads as well as swiss stop. Does anyone know if it is ok to use either of these pads instead of boyd specific ones? thanks
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 AM

I don’t work for Boyd but - the Altamont wheel is an alloy rim not a carbon rim.

Did you mean to say you have ceramic coated wheels? ...they are alloy with a coating.
https://boydcycling.com/shop/road/al...cher-wheelset/
If you bought them new you should have gotten some pads with them. Either way call Boyd and get helped out. Their support is great.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 AM

If you have Altamont Lite Ceramic Coated Clincher's..the correct pads are Swissstop BXP brake pads, which btw, you can buy from Boyd's website..
Old 02-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewheels View Post
I don’t work for Boyd but - the Altamont wheel is an alloy rim not a carbon rim.

Did you mean to say you have ceramic coated wheels? ...they are alloy with a coating.
https://boydcycling.com/shop/road/al...cher-wheelset/
If you bought them new you should have gotten some pads with them. Either way call Boyd and get helped out. Their support is great.
oh, i thought there was a carbon version of the altamonts. I have the full carbon ones, which i guess dont have a name?
-Also, the wheels were given to me, so no pads :/
Old 02-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanooze View Post
oh, i thought there was a carbon version of the altamonts. I have the full carbon ones, which i guess dont have a name?
-Also, the wheels were given to me, so no pads :/
A pic of the actual wheels would probably get you the best answer instead of the current confusion.

However, having had the Boyd 44 model carbon clincher rim brake wheels on a previous ride the Reynolds Cryo Blue Power are the best pads I ever used on those wheels. Setup is very important since the contact patch is larger than regular pads, but the power and modulation are great and they're quieter than other models. Not sure about heat build up but if you brake correctly there shouldn't be an issue since the braking surface on the Boyds is very good.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
A pic of the actual wheels would probably get you the best answer instead of the current confusion.
so would an email to Boyd or Nicole
Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post

However, having had the Boyd 44 model carbon clincher rim brake wheels on a previous ride the Reynolds Cryo Blue Power are the best pads I ever used on those wheels. Setup is very important since the contact patch is larger than regular pads, but the power and modulation are great and they're quieter than other models. Not sure about heat build up but if you brake correctly there shouldn't be an issue since the braking surface on the Boyds is very good.
I will the Reynolds Cryo Blue Power pads are amazingly good! to begin with I would say the Cryo Blues are better the other carbon pads I've used and the Blue Power pads are 25-30% better!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:16 PM

I keep saying this.......

Reynolds Cryo-Blue Power Brake Pads solve most all braking issues

https://aerogeeks.com/2014/04/29/rey...r-pads-review/