Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Apparently, You are not a Baum customer.

Which is funny in itself, considering I live in Melbourne and they are an hour or so down the highway in Geelong. Bastion is another one 'round here. Both are "businesses".

If I were ever to go custom I would want to support someone a little quirky, eccentric and alternative and who still does it for the love more than the bottom line. That would have been Ewen Gellie. We had been talking for a while and were ready to put pen to paper right before he sadly passed

Last edited by robertbb; 02-25-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
At the potential for new patients on account of that steerer ****ery? There's no way anyone would certify hacking into a CF steerer like that, then bonding an insert, a la AlphaQ. They should've done this right and had custom forks designed with that channel co-molded to preserve the integrity of the layup.

You'd have to be a fool to buy that hack without seeing some serious safety testing figures from Baum.
Baum are a very thorough company and I highly doubt they would risk their customers, my understanding was this was co-ordinated in conjunction with Raoul from Luescher Tech so I believe the integrity is there.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:32 PM

The only thing that I don’t like is the size of the logos. I’d imagine they have options though.

It’s a great looking bike. I’m skeptical about all internal routing being a pain, but I’m not sure if the way they did the fork would actually bother me when almost all new bikes are doing something weird or unsettling.

Internal routing is not a deal breaker it’s just annoying. It’s already on the majority of bikes me and my family own in some form or another.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:37 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Such a belittling and generalized remark about fellow cyclists. How do you know that? Someone works hard and has the means to purchase something they will enjoy. I know a lot of high net worth folks and none of them thinlks like what you implied. Your remark says more about you than the purchaser of a Baum bike. Sheesh.
Since you’ve decided to get so personal, perhaps you can explain what you think this says about me.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
With the folks who buy Baums, the price is a feature.
Lot's of BS from many companies:

Specialized - Works Aethos - Dura-Ace Di2
$18,400.00 AUD

Parlee - Z-Zero RD Sram Red AXS - Carbon
$32,599.00 AUD

Pinarello - Dogma X Disc Complete Bike - Xolar Black
$21,999.00 AUD

Cannondale - SuperSix EVO LAB71 Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed Complete Bike - Marble Oxblood
$19,999.00 AUD

Etc, etc, etc...
Old 02-25-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
Baum are a very thorough company and I highly doubt they would risk their customers, my understanding was this was co-ordinated in conjunction with Raoul from Luescher Tech so I believe the integrity is there.
Nothing about that system looks like something a composites person would sign off on - it looks like a garage hack. You don't think that if it were feasible and safe to do so, other larger companies wouldn't have coalesced around a similar design, rather than selling us on the hideous stuff we have now? Baum's schtick is metal bikes, not composites - not by a mile - so unless they produce some ISO test results around that design of theirs, caveat emptor.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Nothing about that system looks like something a composites person would sign off on - it looks like a garage hack. You don't think that if it were feasible and safe to do so, other larger companies wouldn't have coalesced around a similar design, rather than selling us on the hideous stuff we have now? Baum's schtick is metal bikes, not composites - not by a mile - so unless they produce some ISO test results around that design of theirs, caveat emptor.
You think BAUM is just winging it?
Old 02-25-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
You think BAUM is just winging it?
Yes, yes I do. Scalable. Cheap. Safe. Pick two.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Really?

I mean they aren't exactly new kids on the block or known for pushing boundaries too far.

Hard to say though but I'd ride it.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
so unless they produce some ISO test results around that design of theirs, caveat emptor.
"According to Baum, it’s a design that confidently passes international standards testing." - https://escapecollective.com/baum-cy...tion-solution/
Old 02-25-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
"According to Baum, it’s a design that confidently passes international standards testing." - https://escapecollective.com/baum-cy...tion-solution/
It's not that hard to pass the testing if you just use a ****load of extra material.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:14 PM
but not really

Quote:
Are you challenging them based on your years of working with metals and composites? Or are you challenging this based on a bunch of stuff you've seen and read on the internet? If you have the education and experience to substantiate your opinion (you have yet to provide any facts), please do share so we can understand if your opinion is based on facts.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I’ve gotta say that I don’t know what this means. Baum isn’t large and certainly not cheap. That leaves safe, but that doesn’t seem like your point of view.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:
While it's probably unlikely that this will fail, it's not the solution I would choose for myself either. However, the reason that large companies aren't doing this is that they are not interested in manufacturing a fork that only works for a single size of frame. I think it would make more sense to use the Columbus fork that doesn't require modification of the steerer.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:46 PM

While I do not think that the design is unsafe (BTW, the world does not revolve on what i think), the onus is on Baum (and not the customer) to provide details/testing that their design is indeed safe. Boeing has years and years of working with metals and composites. And look where we're at.

The burden is always with the company to show that their product is safe. And for an independent body to verify that it is so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Are you challenging them based on your years of working with metals and composites? Or are you challenging this based on a bunch of stuff you've seen and read on the internet? If you have the education and experience to substantiate your opinion (you have yet to provide any facts), please do share so we can understand if your opinion is based on facts.