Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Clean pal, glad you survived, I know you are a very strong rider, so it must have be really hard, I like your wife's sweet note, she's a keeper.
Thanks Weisan-pal, she is a good one - and it was a very hard day.. Much of that self-inflicted - see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Clean, Very sweet of your wife. And you did that on a single speed!
The funnier part is the blue and matching brown saddle/bar-tape - I think she's trying to tell me I should have kept the Berthoud! Or maybe what colors to go with on my next one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcatalog View Post
What was the ride? It was a grim rainy day out there today.
It was the Gorge Gravel Grinder out in The Dalles, OR. The course went from ideal - no dust and mild temps - to a total nightmare in a matter of 24hrs. The RD sent out an email kind of warning people away, but also said to just expect a lot of rain and warmer conditions, high around 60.

Here's a little drone footage on Insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-E6vLF..._web_copy_link

Well, it was a lot of rain, but it was also insane wind and temps around 40 deg most of the day, with bouts of hail. I was underdressed, which I didn't realize at first as the initial 35mi climbed around 4000ft, much of that in soft gravel and wet/slick mud with sidewinds that made it hard to eat, drink, or think. I was making it okay on 32s. I had to go slower on the gravel/mud downhills, and that meant spilling a bunch of watts to recatch my group on the flats/uphills, and had some serious pucker moments, but it was bearable.

Once it leveled out a bit, I realized how screwed I was, but was already 8 miles or more past the turnoff from the Super Big course to the Medium course. 45 miles in there was an aid station at the junction to a highway and I was shivering pretty uncontrollably when I came up to it. I was able to check a map on my phone and see that if I took the highway, I'd eventually end up back on course. There was really no other option. I was wearing thermal bibs, wool arm/leg warmers, wool base, wool jersey and gloves, and a windbreaker - and once all that was soaked through, it just was what it was.

The highway back was harrowing. The first 7mi or so was 25-30mph downhill. I was shaking so bad I could barely steer straight and a few times induced wobbles until I slowed down to 15mph or less and regained some muscle control. Thankfully there were a few uphills to get a bit warmer on - and eventually I ended up at lower elevation, it stopped raining, and I was able to pedal in the rest of the way, finishing out in 5:23:-- and 72mi or so.

And I was a lucky one. There were people strewn all over the course going hypothermic, brakes worn to the metal, huddled in falling-over barns and waiting for the volunteer sweepers to come get them.

So, what did I learn?

1) if your bike has a rando rack, use it - if I'd taken my rando bag and put in a couple extra layers and some dry gloves, I'd have completed the ride and not been so miserable

2) put more money into having good kit - the folks I was riding with both had Gore shake-dry jackets and winter shoes - that would have made my day

3) the Spectrum is a great bike, but it isn't a gravel bike - I would have liked to have more upright bars and much fatter tires for the ride

My next gravel race is a couple weeks away, so I have a bit of time to regroup and make sure I'm more prepared for that one.

Some more Insta photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-TJy5l..._web_copy_link and https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-FqmRF..._web_copy_link

Last edited by Clean39T; 04-08-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalinsanity View Post
Some shots from the Bay Area including a gem from my commute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cool bike!!! Love the paint scheme. What is it??
Old 04-08-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Thanks Weisan-pal, she is a good one - and it was a very hard day.. Much of that self-inflicted - see below.

The funnier part is the blue and matching brown saddle/bar-tape - I think she's trying to tell me I should have kept the Berthoud! Or maybe what colors to go with on my next one..

It was the Gorge Gravel Grinder out in The Dalles, OR. The course went from ideal - no dust and mild temps - to a total nightmare in a matter of 24hrs. The RD sent out an email kind of warning people away, but also said to just expect a lot of rain and warmer conditions, high around 60.

Here's a little drone footage on Insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-E6vLF..._web_copy_link

Well, it was a lot of rain, but it was also insane wind and temps around 40 deg most of the day, with bouts of hail. I was underdressed, which I didn't realize at first as the initial 35mi climbed around 4000ft, much of that in soft gravel and wet/slick mud with sidewinds that made it hard to eat, drink, or think. I was making it okay on 32s. I had to go slower on the gravel/mud downhills, and that meant spilling a bunch of watts to recatch my group on the flats/uphills, and had some serious pucker moments, but it was bearable.

Once it leveled out a bit, I realized how screwed I was, but was already 8 miles or more past the turnoff from the Super Big course to the Medium course. 45 miles in there was an aid station at the junction to a highway and I was shivering pretty uncontrollably when I came up to it. I was able to check a map on my phone and see that if I took the highway, I'd eventually end up back on course. There was really no other option. I was wearing thermal bibs, wool arm/leg warmers, wool base, wool jersey and gloves, and a windbreaker - and once all that was soaked through, it just was what it was.

The highway back was harrowing. The first 7mi or so was 25-30mph downhill. I was shaking so bad I could barely steer straight and a few times induced wobbles until I slowed down to 15mph or less and regained some muscle control. Thankfully there were a few uphills to get a bit warmer on - and eventually I ended up at lower elevation, it stopped raining, and I was able to pedal in the rest of the way, finishing out in 5:23:-- and 72mi or so.

And I was a lucky one. There were people strewn all over the course going hypothermic, brakes worn to the metal, huddled in falling-over barns and waiting for the volunteer sweepers to come get them.

So, what did I learn?

1) if your bike has a rando rack, use it - if I'd taken my rando bag and put in a couple extra layers and some dry gloves, I'd have completed the ride and not been so miserable

2) put more money into having good kit - the folks I was riding with both had Gore shake-dry jackets and winter shoes - that would have made my day

3) the Spectrum is a great bike, but it isn't a gravel bike - I would have liked to have more upright bars and much fatter tires for the ride

My next gravel race is a couple weeks away, so I have a bit of time to regroup and make sure I'm more prepared for that one.

Some more Insta photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-TJy5l..._web_copy_link and https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-FqmRF..._web_copy_link
Yikes! That would wipe a guy right out...

I hope the conditions for the race in Bend are a little more amenable, and with that experience to set the bar the event season only gets easier and more enjoyable...as that sounds awful. Kudos for persevering to stay on the bike despite the ugliness.

The bike on that note *does* have familiar look, doesn't it?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I have a Gore Shake Dry jacket. Best thing I've worn in 30 years of cycling.

NOT the loosest fit tho, so pay attention to sizing recommendations

Good luck with the next one!

M
Old 04-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I have a Gore Shake Dry jacket. Best thing I've worn in 30 years of cycling.

NOT the loosest fit tho, so pay attention to sizing recommendations

Good luck with the next one!

M
Thanks - which version do I want? Seems like there's a C5 and C7??

Sorry for the thread drift...
Old 04-08-2019, 03:48 PM

Spring in the Ore Mountains Czech Republic

DSCF1248 (2) by achim kosch, auf Flickr

DSCF1225 (2) by achim kosch, auf Flickr

DSCF1183 by achim kosch, auf Flickr

DSCF1233 (2) by achim kosch, auf Flickr
Old 04-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd0012 View Post
Cool bike!!! Love the paint scheme. What is it??
Focus Izalco, I painted in with Spray Bike paint.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:04 PM
#RYFB

L'Eroica

This year's Eroica was near perfection, and I had the pleasure of joining Prof Hespenheide and benefiting from his course knowledge for most of the ride. What a wonderful spirit among all the participants and organizers.

In 40+ years my Gios has never been so dirty. Also, while I like the spirit of old equipment, modern pedals are such an improvement, especially when rutted dirt is involved.

(The bikes pictured are clearly not in compliance -- there were a few riders on modern disc bikes, I guess that tells you how strict they are about equipment guidelines. I'm guessing they have have ridden Nova Eroica the day before and decided to double up.)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:40 PM

First ride on a Colorado II (third in the stable) that I built up over the winter. Pretty weak after months of inactivity. 20 miles into the wind returning, glad to get back as the sun was setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colorado II R-Y 4-8-2019 (3).jpg (148.2 KB, 182 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:

So, what did I learn?

Dang. Makes me glad I was pushing through snow and dodging bullets up north of Camas!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcatalog View Post
Dang. Makes me glad I was pushing through snow and dodging bullets up north of Camas!
I need to come ride some gravel up your way it seems...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Well, it was a lot of rain, but it was also insane wind and temps around 40 deg most of the day, with bouts of hail.
You make it sound so bad! Haha.

I wore shorts, leg warmers, wool socks, road shoes and booties. On top I had a light wool baselayer, arm warmers, race jersey, and rain jacket. Took the rain jacket off on the first climb and didn't put it on until after 3 hours. Even had my gloves off for a while. Then it got cold and the rain came. Was awesome, I was ripping those downhills on the new bike.

After the first 30 miles I didn't take any more pics - it got real then!

Old 04-09-2019, 12:02 AM
Member?

Quote:

So, what did I learn?

I registered for this event, the Small Grinder. I bailed on it due to the weather and the 28c tires my vacation house bike has mounted. I did stop by for a beer and the meal at Clock Tower. Good on ya for making the effort. I'm a fair weather rider, my hat's off to you. Maybe next year I'll give it another shot.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
You make it sound so bad! Haha.

I wore shorts, leg warmers, wool socks, road shoes and booties. On top I had a light wool baselayer, arm warmers, race jersey, and rain jacket. Took the rain jacket off on the first climb and didn't put it on until after 3 hours. Even had my gloves off for a while. Then it got cold and the rain came. Was awesome, I was ripping those downhills on the new bike.

After the first 30 miles I didn't take any more pics - it got real then!

Hey Andy and Dan -

What tires were you running for the gravel grinder? Did they end up being good choices? I'm wondering how the Compass Bon Jon 35c would've fared on the route?

Thanks ...
Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Hey Andy and Dan -

What tires were you running for the gravel grinder? Did they end up being good choices? I'm wondering how the Compass Bon Jon 35c would've fared on the route?

Thanks ...
I used 32mm Gravel Kings. I was ok with them but I think 35-38s may have been a bit better. It was really soft out there and the extra float may have been nice. My tires are blue so maybe that made the difference!

The new GKs in 35mm would have been bomber!