Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2022, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Man, even the trails are getting...

... wiped out.

Spotted this on a local trail. You have to watch out for the horse poop...and now someone else's waste as well.

I've been hitting the trails more to minimize my time with inattentive drivers. It's been a mostly serene experience, but now I have to watch out for human feces littering the trail. There is a port-a-potti near this section of trail as well as restrooms by the park entrance about two hundred yards away. No reason to be doing it on the trails.

Some people suck.

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poop.jpg (155.1 KB, 610 views)
Old 09-25-2022, 02:19 PM

It used to make me wonder back when I mountain biked. You are expected to clean up after your dog but horses leave TONS more waste and it is fine for the riders to just leave it. I'm not sure how practical it would be for them to pick it up but it sure would be more entertaining if the laws were applied to all.

Tim
Old 09-25-2022, 02:37 PM

My wife looks for interesting natural objects like driftwood, plants, etc. on our hikes. Twice in the last year she’s picked up rocks, only to find they’ve covered piles of human feces.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
...but horses leave TONS more waste and it is fine for the riders to just leave it. I'm not sure how practical it would be for them to pick it up but it sure would be more entertaining if the laws were applied to all.

Tim
I'm sure equestrians could pack a shovel and toss the poop off-trail. But horse owners are more affluent and have better lawyers, so that puts them above the law, didn't you know that?
Old 09-25-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
It used to make me wonder back when I mountain biked. You are expected to clean up after your dog but horses leave TONS more waste and it is fine for the riders to just leave it. I'm not sure how practical it would be for them to pick it up but it sure would be more entertaining if the laws were applied to all.

Tim
I wondered that for years - until I found out that dog poop can be quite toxic, containing any number of pathogens. Really, just google it. When my dog is off-leash and poops in the woods, I'll make a good effort to pick it up.

I'm not asking equestrians to pick up the manure, but I sure wish they would shovel it off the trail.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I'm sure equestrians could pack a shovel and toss the poop off-trail. But horse owners are more affluent and have better lawyers, so that puts them above the law, didn't you know that?
Dang..... I grew up on a horse farm. Never knew I was affluent, hell I sure felt pretty dang poor. Who knew....
Old 09-25-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Horse manure is basically just liquid and grass. It has no known toxic effects on humans, so it doesn't pose the same health risk as human feces or dog feces.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:01 PM

Hiked a very popular trail in the Smokies two weeks ago. Close to the trail head, maybe half mile in, same problem. Amazing.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Dang..... I grew up on a horse farm. Never knew I was affluent, hell I sure felt pretty dang poor. Who knew....
We had a mule, you elitist!
Old 09-26-2022, 06:01 AM

#makewoodlandsanfrancisco
Old 09-26-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Horse manure is basically just liquid and grass. It has no known toxic effects on humans, so it doesn't pose the same health risk as human feces or dog feces.
This. And mounting/dismounting is a pain in the neck.
Have to chuckle because I have both horses and mountain bikes. I agree that horses can beat up wet trails. I also agree that mountain bikes can spook the crap outta most horses.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Make these free at all trail entrances...maybe?

https://thedyrt.com/magazine/gear/wa...camping-waste/
Old 09-26-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
This. And mounting/dismounting is a pain in the neck.
Horse manure baskets are a thing, if you wanted to keep the poo off trails.

But, you're correct about the reason we don't mandate them. Once the piles dries, it's just old grass, and it decomposes pretty quickly.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:20 AM

I ride mountain bikes, my wife is an equestrian who does trail rides. We head off in different directions. Our horse trailer has a fork mount.

As mentioned above, horse poop is harmless other than typically being in the middle of the trail. It is partially digested plant material, and it dries out quickly. People poop is nasty due to our diets. There are methods of doing it near trails, but most people are too lazy to dig a hole and bury it.

We were at Yellowstone for several days this summer. I was amazed at the dog poop left on trails. It's bear country; I'm not sure why people would hike with dogs. I live in the desert, and I see coyote scat all the time; they get a pass.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I find that horse people are also the most demanding that cyclists slow down and give them room when passing. I do just that, or course, but I have always sensed this notion of entitlement from them. The horse poop thing makes a good point.