Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 12:19 PM
sulfate125

Tips for Replacing Hydraulic lines on Road.

I want to raise my handlebars on my Cannondale Supersix and the hydraulic lines are too short. I have shimano R685 levers. Of course, all cables are internal. Any tips to reduce the mess?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:31 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

That kind of hydraulic work is best performed in a full workshop rather than an on-the-roadside repair.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:15 PM

pretty sure you can lengthen hoses with a coupler

on my Roubaix, from the factory, there is coupler after the hose comes out of the downtube and before it goes into the shifter. think this to make it easier to install different bars and to make servicing around the cockpit easier.

one o these things:

https://www.ticycles.com/store-all/h...e-line-coupler
Old 05-18-2020, 02:12 PM
sulfate125

Thanks Bluejays. I meant on a road bike. I apologize for not being clear. The couplers look like a good way to save some effort.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 PM

Be sure to have extra barb and olives and be sure the barbs are the correct size and be sure to have a few more extra. I would remove pads, then connect a drain hose on the caliper, then crack the fill screw in the lever and squeeze / gravity the fluid out. Once empty, get some gorilla tape and tape the new hose to the old at the caliper, use a long piece but position it as to not catch when pulling through. Pull through. Also be sure you have plenty of shimano brake fluid ( I use a big jug) and the needed road lever adapter for the shimano funnel on the levers. Also be sure you have the bleed blocks and clamp blocks for the hose to tap in the barbs. YouTube the bleed process. Good luck! It is not that difficult and shops are really backed up and may be 2-3 weeks out!
Old 05-18-2020, 06:04 PM

It's not such a messy job since there isn't a load of mineral oil in the lines but do remove the pads before doing this and clean up after with IPA. I don't think you'll need to drain the oil from the caliper or the reservoir before removing the old hose, the oil won't suddenly gush out. I have done it and found the best way was to push an old derailleur cable through the old hose and then pull out the old hose, leaving the cable in place and then use the derailleur cable as a guide for the new hose. Then a quick bleed.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:56 AM
sulfate125

Thanks. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:12 AM

great solution!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
It's not such a messy job since there isn't a load of mineral oil in the lines but do remove the pads before doing this and clean up after with IPA. I don't think you'll need to drain the oil from the caliper or the reservoir before removing the old hose, the oil won't suddenly gush out. I have done it and found the best way was to push an old derailleur cable through the old hose and then pull out the old hose, leaving the cable in place and then use the derailleur cable as a guide for the new hose. Then a quick bleed.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:44 AM

+1 on buying some extra hose and some couplers. And a few extra barbs and olives. You'll probably still need to rebleed the system but with practice it becomes easy.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:03 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

SRAM makes a dual ended little doo-dad that comes in their Reverb kit. QBP lists it as RockShox Reverb Stealth Barb Connector.

Connect old hose to new hose and pull everything thru. Easy peasy. Co-worker has his own and says it makes things so much easier. I haven't gotten to use it yet, but the van has it's own now based on that.

M