Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 02:57 PM

Updates/ Change of Opinion - Latex Tubes - Carbon Rims

Did a deep dive through multiple threads from 5-8 years ago and the answers then were all over the place with respect to running latex tubes on carbon rims.

What are people's opinion today about latex, should I get TPUs or light butyls for use in a clincher rim brake carbon rim?
Old 04-06-2024, 03:00 PM

Deleted

Last edited by MikeD; 04-06-2024 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:02 PM

No opinion, but if you go to TPU tubes, they are not all compatible with carbon fiber rim brake wheels.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:30 PM

FWIW (very little), I’ve recently tried to find any updates on this subject and found nothing new, i.e. wheel manufacturers say nothing or say “no,” and the anecdotal input from riders ranges from some version of “my friend had a tire blow off using latex tubes” to “I’ve been descending the alps for 30 years using latex tubes and carbon rims and never had a problem, just don’t ride yer brakes.”
Old 04-06-2024, 03:37 PM
Administrator

I have been using latex tubes in Bora WTO wheels for plenty of miles, including some larger descents with no issues to report.

I believe the early issues with latex tubes and carbon rims, including tangential issues with Veloflex tires, were more related to the finishing quality of the carbon inside the rim bed/hook area more than heat build-up related.

In a modern high quality carbon rim, i would not hesitate to use latex tubes.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:10 PM

Well I also thought the problems were a thing of the past and waited a long time to combine carbon rims and latex tubes.

Last summer got some Mavic Open carbon rims built and some used fulcrum racing carbon 40 and combined with Vittoria latex tubes.

Sadly after a short steep descent I had a first “blowout”/flat luckily in a slow corner and a second one at the end of a long descent (living in the Swiss alps)

Yes it could have been a badly taped rim tape (Mavic) or badly machined carbon rim bed (fulcrum) but got me slightly unsure so switched to butyl tubes and have had no issues since in similar or same descents even. Just think the high temperatures in the rim when descending don’t work well with latex tubes.

Now using the Vittoria tubes in my carbon disc brake wheels
Old 04-06-2024, 04:24 PM

It's a heat related thing.

This is but one example. I've read this in a number of other places:

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...ersus-tubeless

Lastly, latex inner tubes are more susceptible to damage from heat. For this reason, most manufacturers recommend against using latex inner tubes in carbon wheels designed for rim brake bikes, especially for any rides that involve heavy sustained braking (such as on long descents, where prolonged braking can cause heat build-up in the rims).

(Personally, I'd be concerned with carbon rims warping under such conditions as well (reference Levi's Gran Fondo caution against the use of carbon rims in the event))

Here we have Lennard Zinn saying that he would no longer use latex tubes in carbon rims:

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...ubes-and-more/

Continental claims that latex or light weight butyl tubes shouldn't be used in rims without a rim strip (carbon or aluminum), and recommends their own rimstrip as a heat insulator in these cases.

Last edited by MikeD; 04-06-2024 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have been using latex tubes in Bora WTO wheels for plenty of miles, including some larger descents with no issues to report.
Ditto. I'm not going down 10º hills with rim brakes, just normal size hills, 6º and not for 10 miles.

I am riding Bora WTO 33 and Veloflex Corsa 25s with Vittoria latex tubes @ 80 pounds. The combo feels quite good on my Duende. Very good in fact.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:10 PM

No issues on latex or TPU tubes on carbon rim brake wheels. Done plenty of 15-20 percent decents with no issues. Try not to drag the brakes for long sections and you’ll be fine
Old 04-07-2024, 10:36 AM

Sounds like considering most of my riding is relatively flat, without sustained descents that require braking, I should have no issues staying with latex.

Now, tires are another issue to consider. Have a nice set of vittoria corsas, but enve says don't use them or other cotton tires. Assuming ok, as long as you check them to make sure bead is not cut.