Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2024, 04:20 PM

This seems relevant.

Just because your bike isn't made in the US or Europe doesn't mean it's not hand made or isn't made by people that don't have a lot of pride in what they do. I love making stuff and have a lot of respect for some of the factories in Asia that have found great solutions to the problems that get dropped into their lap from some design and marketing firm to figure out.

While there's talk of on-shoring some manufacturing it's not making huge strides in greater industry. The stories I hear are more about bringing back some critical components or adding a second domestic market source in addition to the offshore one. They feed these places just enough work to keep them busy in hopes they can ramp up production if need be. I feel the pressure that public companies face will keep them using contracted offshore labor though.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 04-07-2024, 04:40 PM

There are several bicycle companies, still active in the US. (not sure how this one is going)
https://detroitbikes.com/pages/our-story

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...up/6601505001/

Last edited by Old School; 04-07-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:10 AM

I own 3 bikes and I've owned 6 new frames since I came back to cycling in 2018. I bought two Taiwan made Colnago C-RS rim brake frames for $700 each. I moved on to disc brake frames with two Taiwan made 2017 model Cinelli Superstar frames that I got as NOS for $1000 each. My most recent bikes are Yoeleo R12 models that are made in China. Those were bought in July and August of 2022 with integrated bars and proprietary seat posts for $1215, delivered with no tax or duties. The second one had a special order pearl white paint job that added 3 weeks to the delivery time. The first was delivered in 9 days. Both bikes have great paint jobs and have been trouble free.

A few months after receiving my Yoeleo frames, the price went up quite bit, to $1590 with limited color options and $300 more for special paint.

https://www.yoeleobike.com/collectio...-paint-classic

They also make a gravel frame with a T47 BB.

https://www.yoeleobike.com/collectio...avel-frame-g21

Last edited by Dave; 04-08-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:25 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post
Like many physical objects in our lives, most of the bikes we ride are made in China. In 2021, 76 million bicycles were manufactured there. Even many Italian brands that project the aura of artisanal, handcrafted bikes are mostly made there.

American bike manufacturing took off, along with the popularity of the bicycle, in the late 1890s. Bicycles subsequently went through boom and bust cycles in the 1930s and the 1970s. Bike brands started to look for a cheaper manufacturing solution outside of the United States after that, and Asia is where they ended up.

Chinese manufacturing for export took off in the ’80s and ’90s as the country opened up to the idea of business. Given the massive size of the Chinese manufacturing ecosystem, it’s amazing that the first business license in that country was not issued until 1979. The speed of growth in every Chinese industry has been extraordinary. One can understand how bike building got exported there: bikes are fairly low tech products that require lots of labor to build. So a manufacturing system with millions of workers who are paid a fraction of Western workers sounds appealing.

Read full article here:

https://peterabraham.medium.com/the-...g-6ac0b112ba2e

Its as if this is a post that is in response to a comment or question, yet its the first post in the thread.
Odd.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:26 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Who publishes to Medium in 2024, anyway? That's all you need to know.
What is wrong with Medium and where should such an article be published?
I ask because I am not at all plugged in on content publishing, but am curious since you mentioned it.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
it's kind of appalling that this many people can't differentiate Taiwan and China. They are not the same country
I think it's inevitable that they will be the same country.
Old 04-08-2024, 01:16 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
it's kind of appalling that this many people can't differentiate Taiwan and China. They are not the same country
That's actually a very controversial idea, even amongst Taiwanese. Taiwan has fascinating politics that will surely be demolished quickly if the PRC ever takes over. Wikipedia has a summary of some of the different ideas here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chines...ance_of_Taiwan

The two camps are broadly described as "Pan-Blue" and "Pan-Green." Even within these camps there are many different views, and debate in Taiwan can be extremely heated to say the least. The "Pan-Blue" view is complex, but views Taiwan and China as always being the same country - the disagreement is merely over who will govern it. The "Pan-Green" views are more nationalistic, but they are also quite diverse.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:37 PM
LateStart

It's just the top of the article to kick off the topic - click the link...

Thought it was an interesting story for the group here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Its as if this is a post that is in response to a comment or question, yet its the first post in the thread.
Odd.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:04 PM

I think my Trek 2200 (model year 2000) and my Serotta Concours (2007) were the only bikes I've ever owned made in the US.

Everything else made in Taiwan.

2000 Giant Iguana (Taiwan)
2004 Trek 2300 (Taiwan) - probably Giant, warranty replacement for 2200
2004 Giant TCR Composite (Taiwan)
2005 Giant NRS (Taiwan)
2011 BH G5 (Taiwan)
2013 All City Space Horse
2016 Trek Domain (Taiwan) - Probably Giant
2022 Trek Farley (Taiwan) - Probably Giant

I cannot recommend "No Hands: The Rise and Fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company" by Judith Crown and Glenn Coleman. Great Book that also talks a lot about the origins of Giant.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:05 PM

Speaking of bikes made in Taiwan ...

The rumors going around are that many bikes labeled "Made in Taiwan" actually have most of their manufacturing done in factories in (mainland) China, and then have their finishing work done in Taiwan, allowing them to be labeled "Made in Taiwan". Whether you consider China and Taiwan to be one country or two, the fact of the matter is that China is Taiwan's largest trading partner, with more more than twice as much trade between the two than between the US and Taiwan.