Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2024, 04:12 PM

More Pegoretti queries

Completed my fitting at Lakeside on Friday and determined that the Marcelo they have in stock would not look proper with my required seat height (68cm with 160cm cranks). So, I need a 50cm, and most likely will have to abandon Campy as they do not do 160cm cranks presently. That does open up the options for models for me.

Just how stiff are the OS tubed Pegs? I am not light, I am currently 102kg and continue to come down off that figure, I am built a bit like a track rider, and can generate some power when poked with a hot stick. We ride a lot on chip-sealed roads and with the room for 28c tires I am wary of riding a bike too stiff. Currently ride an Aethos and it could be smoother but, my weight requires high pressure in the tires and the bike is 14lbs so it can chatter a bit. Certainly not looking at BLE but, Round, Marcelo, will they be too stiff?

Cheers
Old 03-31-2024, 04:49 PM

To each their own but I would buy the bicycle that matches where I want to be in three to five years and add that to the motivation to get there.

I wouldn’t buy any new road bicycle without clearance for 30s, ideally 32s. I’m low/mid 80kgs and they are another step better than 28s.

32s are to 90kg cyclists what 30s are to 80kg cyclists and what 27s/28s are to 70kg cyclists these days.
Old 03-31-2024, 05:19 PM

I'm 71kgs and lean but not in race shape. I'm reluctant to go below 30s these days. They're no slower but they are more comfortable and grippier. Not game-changingly so, but it's noticeable.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:18 PM

Everyone has their own idea about what is comfortable. I am in the 75-80 kg range and have never found the BLE or Marcelo to be too stiff.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:50 PM

If you "continue to come down off that figure" I would wait until your bodyweight stabilizes to buy such an expensive frame.

A frame's "stiffness" is more than mitigated by the right tire width at the right pressure. If your Aethos is disc brake equipped, you should be able to fit wider tires and run them at lower pressures, getting the comfort you seek at your current bodyweight.

If you truly want shorter cranks, seek out Lennard Zinn's custom cranks.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Everyone has their own idea about what is comfortable. I am in the 75-80 kg range and have never found the BLE or Marcelo to be too stiff.
And similarly, I'm 84 kg and ride 25mm tires almost all the time. 80-85# pressure and they're fine.

Does Lakeside have a Responsorium or Duende that fits you?

Last edited by tv_vt; 03-31-2024 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
And similarly, I'm 84 kg and ride 25mm tires almost all the time. 80-85# pressure and they're fine.

Does Lakeside have a Responsorium or Duende that fits you?
wouldn't be a responsible drug dealer if they didn't . They do have a 50cm Respo (disc). I didn't pull the trigger on it because I am having quite a fight in my head about disc versus rim when it comes to "future-proof'ing" the bike. I am going to be 46 in 12 days so, should the creek not rise, I have a lot of time to spend on the bike and I worry about whether I will be able to maintain a rim brake bike, but I prefer the looks of rim. Campy has ceased to produce Ultra rim brake wheels, there are still so many great options for wheels but, parts in general worry me for a rim brake build in 2024. Such a first world problem!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50cm+Responsorium+Disc+in+Senza+Impegno+2022.jpg (76.7 KB, 494 views)

Last edited by edgerat; 03-31-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:48 PM

I think there should be a concept like “dog years” for bikes. We think, given how much bikes cost, that we’re going to keep them forever. In reality 10 years is a really long time to ride the same bike. I’m confident that you can keep a rim/mechanical/whatever bike on the road for much longer than that.

What matters is how it rides (not how it looks). You’re lucky in that you have disk experience and you can compare it to a nice rim brake bike. Then make your choice.

However, you’re not getting married. Your athletic ability is going to change in the coming years. Even if it doesn’t, something else may catch your fancy.
Old 03-31-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
However, you’re not getting married. Your athletic ability is going to change in the coming years. Even if it doesn’t, something else may catch your fancy.
sage advice, thank you!
Old 03-31-2024, 09:00 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I think you'd be fine with Marcelo or BLE or Round. I've been your weight and a couple kilos lighter, have had a Marcelo and currently have a BLE. These bikes are laterallly stiff but still quite comfortable. I rode all over France and Italy, up Ventoux and Gavia and the Stelvio, long stretches of dirt road, fairly poor tarmac to great roads, and up here in Seattle we have same types of roads as Portland (and I lived in Eugene when I first had the Marcelo). Road everywhere with 25s at 90-100psi.

The BLE is rigid but comfortable. It takes a bit more push to get up to speed than the Marcelo but once there. ....
Old 03-31-2024, 09:00 PM

What are you trying to achieve? 220 lbs is not super heavy but I’d expect that a 14 pound bike with high tire pressures would ‘chatter a bit’.

A current duende in your size will take 30-32’s and lower tire pressure will result in a much more comfortable ride. Or use an alternative wheelset with 26’s like I did today and go blaze the pavement
Old 03-31-2024, 09:17 PM

Peg?

Are you 100% sold on a Peg? Or just want something different? You have a really nice bike in the Aethos.
If I wanted a steel bike and lived where you live, I would get a Hampsten, English, or a Speedvagen.
All will make rim or disc. All will be very tuned to you and your needs.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
wouldn't be a responsible drug dealer if they didn't . They do have a 50cm Respo (disc). I didn't pull the trigger on it because I am having quite a fight in my head about disc versus rim when it comes to "future-proof'ing" the bike. I am going to be 46 in 12 days so, should the creek not rise, I have a lot of time to spend on the bike and I worry about whether I will be able to maintain a rim brake bike, but I prefer the looks of rim. Campy has ceased to produce Ultra rim brake wheels, there are still so many great options for wheels but, parts in general worry me for a rim brake build in 2024. Such a first world problem!

I wouldn't sweat Campy not making ultra wheels in rim brake.

I have Campy WTO Ultra 45s on my Aethos.

Have Nextie CRX rims 45/50 on DT240 on my SV.

The Nexties are head and shoulders better than the Campy wheels. Sorry to all the Campy wheel lovers here. I just don't get it. The Nextie are 29 vmm wide with 21mm internal. I am running 25mm Veloflex which measure to 27.6 on these rims. So, they satisfy the 105% rule. And ride so much better than the Campy. Smoother, more plush, and less affected by crosswinds..

Oh, and the Nextie are 1/2 the price, even with the WTO ultras coming from Europe.

Jon
Old 04-01-2024, 01:40 AM

A few thoughts..

If you're considering a Pegoretti performance-focused road bike it must be because you want to experience riding a road bike the way road bikes are designed and intended to be ridden - hard, fast, and to the edge of control. The trend is of course to wider tires but I'd caution you not to follow that too far. Because you are more robustly built, you're going to run about the same pressure in 28s as a more svelte rider might in 25s, or the same in 30s that they would in 28s, etc. - so sizing up just a bit is fine, it will still feel like a road bike and not get muted and mushy when you're putting your considerable power down on the pedals. The concern there is if you go to a 32mm or 34/35mm option, you're going to start running pressures in the 50s or low-60s, and you're just not going to feel the same handling and feedback you get from a hard-edge road bike. Some are fine with that. I'm not. Not in context anyway. For an allroad bike or endurance rides or party pace? Sure. For experiencing riding a road bike the way some might desire to experience an early 90s 911? Not a chance.

But back to the bike.

A Mxxxxxo is perfect for what you have in mind and will be a great bike for you all the way down to 75-kgs, provided you keep that muscle around and still have the will to treat it like the tool it is. Yes, they are stiff. But they don't chatter like a stiff carbon bike. They take the hit and urge you to push harder - to turn over those gears and maintain the momentum. It's a wonderful feeling, not to be missed. No other bike I've owned or ridden has felt like a Mxxxxxo.

And, afaik, the Mxxxxxo is the most bombproof of all the builds, second only to the BLE. I know the SS versions are not as prone to issues under strong riders the way they used to be, but I'd still err on the side of caution and stick with the steel that's proven to stand up to everything you could possibly throw at it.

As for disc vs. rim, a Mxxxxxo should be experienced in rim-brake form. It was perfected for that and is balanced perfectly with the Falz fork in that guise. There will ALWAYS within our lifetime be plenty of performance rim-brake goods out there to keep you going. Have faith. I could in 20-mins right now go assemble a near NOS Campag Record 10 build. The parts aren't magically disappearing. Wheel choice? Sure, try WTOs. Or get Nexties. Or find some Bora Ultra tubulars just for shiggs and giggs.

Last thing - I'm sure there's a reason to go with 160mm cranks - Zack is a good fitter.. just, umm, think if that 5mm really matters that much if it also matters to you to be able to get certain components. I have size 49 feet and have ridding 170, 172.5, 175, 177.5, and 180mm cranks. The 180s felt a bit weird. The others all disappeared after a ride or two. But that's me. And I'm not one who likes to maintain a 100rpm cadence up hills, so the smaller I went the less at home I felt. I need a bit of a lever to let the torque do its thing. YMMV. But if 160mm vs. 165mm is the difference between two sizes, I'd want to spend some time on the shorty cranks before locking in on the frame.

Whichever way you go, enjoy the process - and share the journey... it's never too early to start that thread in the galleries.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:46 AM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
Completed my fitting at Lakeside on Friday and determined that the Marcelo they have in stock would not look proper with my required seat height (68cm with 160cm cranks). So, I need a 50cm, and most likely will have to abandon Campy as they do not do 160cm cranks presently. That does open up the options for models for me.

Just how stiff are the OS tubed Pegs? I am not light, I am currently 102kg and continue to come down off that figure, I am built a bit like a track rider, and can generate some power when poked with a hot stick. We ride a lot on chip-sealed roads and with the room for 28c tires I am wary of riding a bike too stiff. Currently ride an Aethos and it could be smoother but, my weight requires high pressure in the tires and the bike is 14lbs so it can chatter a bit. Certainly not looking at BLE but, Round, Marcelo, will they be too stiff?

Cheers
Couple 5 ?'s
Are you weighing in over 260 lbs?
Are you riding a 14 lb bike.
Are you in my 5'-6" body?
Do we live in the same Olympia, Wa?
Would you like to meet up and chat?
Thanks,
By