Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 06:24 AM
Vendor

Garmin also sells a head unit that is *just* a radar indicator. It's pretty cool, really nice colorful LED lights. For a few years I went bike computer-less and just used that with my radar, it worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
Not effectively.

You can, however, use it effectively WITHOUT a computer if you have an iPhone. I’d imagine that any smartphone would work, but I only have iPhone experience. There is a free Varia app that acts as a rudimentary display (similar to what you’d see on your bike computer screen). It also beeps (and maybe vibrates) when a car is approaching. In a pinch, you can get some functionality even with the phone in your pocket if you can hear it or feel the vibration.
I pair my iPhone to my hearing aids, so when a car approaches, i hear it thru my hearing aids.

Add me to the list of “its a game changer” crowd.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:46 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
YThis question reminds me of the old Bell Motorcycle helmet ad: “ If you’ve only got a $10 head – then buy a $10 helmet!”
That explains a lot of things i see on group rides. Too many people there with heads in a price range of 150-250$
Old 03-27-2024, 07:34 AM
ZhugeLiang

We live in the Golden Age and Internet, tons of very capable rear lights, just go to Amazon, see what's popular, read some reviews, make a decision. Easy.

Varia. Yes or no, you decide. No problem.

Hundreds of dollars?
C'mon, you are mixing with the wrong crowd here.
When you first joined, you showed up with an old Litespeed and months later under our influence, you dropped some serious coins on a new fangled bike.
Resistance is futile, you have been assimilated.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteVelo View Post
The purpose of the radar is to alert you to approaching autos in advance so that you may keep out of the way and stay safe.

Where I am, the back roads typically don’t have large shoulders.
This is where I get confused - if there is no shoulder, how do you stay out of the way? Are you pulling off the tarmac every time a car approaches from behind?

In my experience, pulling hard right onto the stripe just entices the car to make a dangerously close pass, as they think they can squeeze by without crossing the centerline. The safer bet seems to be keeping 1/4 of the way out from the right stripe - far enough out to make them cross the centerline, but close enough that they don't always think "what an arsehole, taking the whole road".
Old 03-27-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
This is where I get confused - if there is no shoulder, how do you stay out of the way? Are you pulling off the tarmac every time a car approaches from behind?

In my experience, pulling hard right onto the stripe just entices the car to make a dangerously close pass, as they think they can squeeze by without crossing the centerline. The safer bet seems to be keeping 1/4 of the way out from the right stripe - far enough out to make them cross the centerline, but close enough that they don't always think "what an arsehole, taking the whole road".
This is the main reason why I love my Varia. I bike in the center of the road until a car is behind me. When the car is close, I pull over to 1/4 of the lane and quickly wave my hand so it’s clear I’m acknowledging the passing car. Then the car drivers around me without being super annoyed. I’ve had too many drivers not know that I am allowed to bike on the road. When those drivers pass me, they yell, honk, or pass very close to me to scare me.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Everything is connected

I stay on the left side of the right line and I have the lights (Dinotte and Hypershot) to help support my position. Whether or not a driver chooses to give me the space is another story, and I think that the time and place when and where a rider chooses to ride, is even more important than your lighting choice.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:12 AM

Varia for sure.

I like it not only for the variable flashing based on the approaching vehicle's distance, but also it can see the vehicles behind the closest vehicle so I can anticipate and see when the "coast is clear."

It also works on bike path with other riders approaching, since I am a slow rider.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:46 AM

Garmin Varia

I received a Varia from my kids as a gift a couple of years ago. For me, I can safely (no pun intended) say that it is the best and most important piece of kit i have added in that time. I feel 100% safer on the road with the radar. Needless to say, I use my eyes as well, but cannot recommend it more.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:29 AM

+1 for the Varia love, especially if you ride on your own. I don´t find it intrusive at all, and it detects cars coming way earlier than I would just listening.
At first I wasn`t so sure of getting it, but the almost universal praise for it in this forum convinced me. Money well spent.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
This is the main reason why I love my Varia. I bike in the center of the road until a car is behind me. When the car is close, I pull over to 1/4 of the lane and quickly wave my hand so it’s clear I’m acknowledging the passing car. Then the car drivers around me without being super annoyed.
That makes sense, thanks.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:25 AM

Let me tell you what's not cheap: $70k medical costs from being pasted by a driver who has no insurance or registration, worse yet, the ambulance crew cuts your nice new merino wool blend bike shorts off while you watch - Aaaargh!. Ask me how my happy ass knows that!

As a result, I shopped for the most powerful non-nuke rear taillight (Cat Eye 450 lumen Viz) and a Varia radar light as well. I use both every ride. Too bright? GOOOOOD! If anyone is annoyed, that means they notice me. Yes, I run both on at all times.

Headlight: Ditto, I run a Fenix, flashing.

Here's the definitive retro grouch answer to all those who mince around owning the radar:
1. It lets you know something is coming, so you aren't surprised.
2. If I need to make a turn, I don't have to look behind me if I see radar traffic, and can either wait to look, or pull off the road and wait, but I always look before a turn.
3. No, it won't tell you if a car is going to run up your arse - get over it.
4. If a no-shoulder situation on a dicey road (I try to avoid them) I can pull off when in doubt.
5. Especially useful when having to go around parked cars, respecting the 'flung out door' safety distance: If comething is coming I can make better choices.
6. It's an extra peace of mind/check when you look and don't see anything coming.
7. I've never had a false negative, that is, failed to detect a car.
8. It flashes faster and brighter when a car is approaching, increasing the chances a driver will notice.

What's your life worth? Gimmee a number. Get the dang thing!

Old 03-27-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
This is the main reason why I love my Varia. I bike in the center of the road until a car is behind me. When the car is close, I pull over to 1/4 of the lane and quickly wave my hand so it’s clear I’m acknowledging the passing car. Then the car drivers around me without being super annoyed. I’ve had too many drivers not know that I am allowed to bike on the road. When those drivers pass me, they yell, honk, or pass very close to me to scare me.
Yeah, I'll do this. I also find a Varia invaluable for knowing when it is safe to change lanes to the left or pull off the front of a paceline.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I used the Varia for a while, and still do occasionally.

To be clear, if you are not wanting or using the radar capabilities, there is no point in buying a Varia, it's a fine tail light, but no reason to spend the bucks for one if you dont use the radar component.

I don't find the radar to be a game changer or anything like that for my riding. I rarely use it really.

I think most of the new LED tail lights from the major companies are pretty good these days.

On the bike I ride the most I'm using an exposure blaze I got on sale somewhere. It's really good, but as mentioned, I think most of the current crop are very good too.

The Exposure rear lights are fantastic. The Blaze and the Boost are the brightest, though the smaller TraceR still does a great job.

They can be tough to find in NA, though Bike Tires Direct do carry one or two models.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Some of the roads at my new place not only have no shoulder, but are twisty and turny. So I'm thinking about a rear light. I've heard a lot of talk here about Varia, so I looked, and crikey! They're hundreds of dollars! All come with radar whether I want it or not, and if I'm about to die I'd like to avoid the three seconds of useless panic. I don't want to suddenly see a large icon of the grim reaper on my computer or anything of the like.

Am I missing something about the utility of the radar? Is there a simpler and reliable option for a blinking rear light?

After 6 months of working on the new place I may be about to finally have some time to ride.
Worth mentioning, if you have a bike computer, and ride with a friend that has a Varia, he or she can “share” the Varia info to YOUR computer (mirroring what the host computer is seeing). It’s a great way to demo one without purchase.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Garmin also sells a head unit that is *just* a radar indicator. It's pretty cool, really nice colorful LED lights. For a few years I went bike computer-less and just used that with my radar, it worked great.
For whatever reason I can't find this head unit, any chance you could share the model number?