Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
For very obese people, they got that way because their brain-stomach relationship is already screwed. I *do* think that Ozempic is overprescribed and that it is a poor substitute for healthy habits, but most of the very very obese people out there have no signals to build that healthy lifestyle off of.
And for people that struggle with obesity, those healthy habits are not enough. Where these medications really help is changing those habits from “Herculean effort” to “sustainable long term changes.” You still need to do the work, but they make the work actually work. Someone who just wants to drop 10-20 pounds is not the right candidate.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The people I know who have taken it are all obese, it would amaze me if anyone got a prescription for it without really needing it. I don't know if they miraculously found a way to make huge amounts more of it but I had been reading there was a big shortage of it, and they wanted it going to diabetics first and then people with very serious obesity issues.

You read some of the articles by people who have been on it and they will say things like "I didn't eat anything today".

It seems to have very very powerful effects on some people.

Everyone I know has alluded to very serious GI side effects.

Maybe there is some weird non-approved way someone could microdose it, but I thought it was already miniscule doses and to take 1/10th the prescribed dose might not be easy. The prescribed doses are < 1mg IIRC.
With enough money you can get a prescription for almost anything. These drugs are still pretty expensive (>$1,000/mo) and usually aren’t covered by insurance.

Once/if they’re able to make a pill version those costs will go down and access will go up. At that point I’ll bet insurance realizes it’s worth covering them.
Old 04-08-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
Once/if they’re able to make a pill version ...
Already exists...
https://www.drugs.com/rybelsus.html
Old 04-08-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrik4 View Post
With enough money you can get a prescription for almost anything. These drugs are still pretty expensive (>$1,000/mo) and usually aren’t covered by insurance.
Most them are covered now, as off label use. And before they were covered the manufacturers were subsidizing the costs.