Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 10:07 AM

Trying to apply fiscal common sense or logic to a hobby like cycling is tough. Virtually all of the decisions we make about our purchases are emotionally based.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Sell it only if you need the loot.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Last edited by charliedid; 11-19-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Shifty Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Sell it only if you need the loot.

Sorry to hear about your accident.
This or if you got a huge deal on it to begin with and have a line on a newer one for about the same as you can sell it. If you don't have that lined up and didn't get a huge deal on it, then it makes about as much sense as upgrading your phone every 6 months (and yes, I did this once ).
Old 11-19-2019, 11:14 AM

Keep it. If you are such a good rider that you can improve your performance by trading a 2019 for a 2020 model you will surely get the latest bike free from one of your sponsors.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakora View Post
I wonder what the brain trust thinks of this one. My instinct is to hold onto bikes forever, but since this bike is as close to new as you can get I wonder if selling it would be a better move since trail riding will not be happening for 6 months, and by then there will be next year’s bikes out.

Very wary of depreciation, I finally bought a brand new 2019 FS mountain bike only to find myself with a career opportunity that would mean 5 months of not riding. I got a great deal, so fine. No big deal right?

An unexpectedly eventful summer had me only ride it twice, and now I’ve broken my wrist in a cross race.

Sell for 60% of retail now? Don’t worry about it because all bike technology changes yearly whether it needs to it not and just shut up and ride the bike in June? ATMO hot dog?

Bummer. I hope you weren't one of the folks that got to go for an ambulance ride at Woodland GP on Sunday!

Unless you got the bike on deep discount and you buy a new mountain bike every year, keep it. You'd just take a bath on it at this point.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:40 AM

You should send it to me and I'll ride it til your ready so the bike gets some exercise.

So long as you don't need the money for other things and you like the bike, I'd just keep it and ride it when you're ready. You likely won't get anywhere near what you paid for the bike if you sell it, and then you will have to pay even more for another one when you want to ride again so its a financial loss twice. Seeing the bike sitting may also give you a little motivation to get back on when you are ready.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM
v a n i l l a

The ground won't know your bike is a year old.
And it sure doesn't know my mtb is even older.

The every six month iphone comment rings true. The rate of change in mtb is so much faster than other cycling genres. It only "makes sense" to get a new bike constantly if your budget allows and you ride dirt a lot. I once knew a guy who budgeted "losing" $50k a year on cars as he bought and sold them. At the time, he had owned maybe 50+ cars. It was a hobby he afforded and enjoyed.

otherwise, plan to have the best bike out there for 9 months, and be old news like the rest of us when the new models come out.

it seems to me though, that if there was a time to have last years model, we are in a period of less change. geometry, groups, tire sizes, etc seem (at least to me) more settled than less settled.

so heal up and keep your bike.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Bummer. I hope you weren't one of the folks that got to go for an ambulance ride at Woodland GP on Sunday!

Unless you got the bike on deep discount and you buy a new mountain bike every year, keep it. You'd just take a bath on it at this point.
No, jeez, I hope no one was seriously injured there as it sure was greasy when I dropped by during the SS race! Mine was the previous race in Parkland.

I appreciate the thoughts folks. I guess I'm just bummed that I'll have had this bike for more than a year without really riding it at all, something I've never done.

I think one of the things having me worry about mtb tech is that when I first rode suspension forks, they were pogo sticks and flexy and didn't think they were worth it. The next one I rode did something, but for the weight difference vs no suspension it wasn't worth the expense and maintenance. That was when I rode xc only back east.

Now many years later suspension is magic, but it's still something I can't maintain and has the clock ticking on a warranty.

But I'm hearing y'all say, "well, would you pay 40% of the bike's cost twice (since I'd have to buy another bike later) for an extended warranty?" I hadn't thought of that, just my poor bike sitting looking lonely and unloved at me.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:41 PM

What FS mtb model?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:55 PM

After lots of fretting here I got a red Giant Trance Advanced Pro 29 which is an interesting name because if you remove any word it’s different bike.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:33 PM

One for the ages: 4 years later I actually regret not selling the bike either right away or in the early pandemic rush when supply chains froze.

I did learn that what full-suspension mountain bikes are for, I don't like to do, even a little. Good thing I didn't get into rally cars or triathlons or it would have cost a lot more heh.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakora View Post
Very wary of depreciation....

....Sell for 60% of retail now? Don’t worry about it because all bike technology changes yearly whether it needs to it not and just shut up and ride the bike in June?
Different strokes, but for me, depreciation for the things that are selected carefully and that give me so much pleasure is not on my radar.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'm still riding a 26er! 2002 Moots. Guessing your current new bike will be good for years to come. Unless for some reason you aren't thrilled with it I'd keep it.
Oh you have a NEW bike compared to my 2001 Marin Rift Zone that still provides me with fun rides on the rolling trails I prefer. No drops, rock gardens, etc. I was never a shredder even in my youth. Heck shredding hadn't been invented in my youth. Easy single-track in the woods is my ideal ride and we have a few places like that in San Diego County.

I figured out years ago that buying faster cars and motorcycles for a non-racer just meant I would be going faster when I crashed. I knew that logic would also apply to bicycles.