Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
ZhugeLiang

Issue connecting to Di2 wireless unit SCMT800

I have been having issue connecting to the di2 wireless unit SCMT800 via Bluetooth on my phone using the eTube app. It gives me an error.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:41 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 04-02-2024, 01:55 AM

You are using 000000 (6 zeroes) as the passkey, right?

Shimano says it helps if you disable Wifi (on your phone) when trying to connect to the wireless modules.

I've never needed to do this, but it's worth a shot

When I had the MT800 on my bike I placed it on the other side of the stem by the way - that seemed like a better place to me.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:07 AM
ZhugeLiang

Terry pal, thanks for coming to my help.

Yes, I have tried "000000", still the same error.

Yes, I am aware it's better having placement on the right side but the di2 cable coming from my left shifter that I installed previously while using a 5-port junction was a bit too short.

One new observation or piece of data:

I connected it using SM-PCE1, running E-Tube Project 4.0.4, (I tried version 3.4.5 also) - it says firmware needs to be updated and went ahead to try to update but then an error message pops up while in the middle of it, something about cannot update using this connection, must use the mobile app instead.

But the problem with that is, I can't use the mobile app because I haven't been successful in connecting via Bluetooth -so catch-22.

Once I clicked ok, it went back to detecting the firmware needs to be updated and repeats the cycle.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:25 AM

Yeah... they need to be updated using the mobile app, at least the very first time I believe.

You may have done this already, but... have you tried a different phone? Just in case there is a problem there.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:10 AM
ZhugeLiang

Yes, I tried using my wife's phone, same thing.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:30 AM

I never used the unit wirelessly, just as a wired in head unit for junction-A. My understanding after briefly looking at the Shimano website is that you'll still need the D-Fly unit inline in the system (usually connected by RD) in order to get a Bluetooth signal.

Weisan, do you have the D-Fly unit inline into the e-tube system?
Old 04-03-2024, 08:39 AM

Also found this online which may help:

You can reset the Wireless passkey for 11-speed Di2 - even if you don't know the current one - by connecting your bike to a windows computer/laptop using the charger. If you're on 12-speed Di2, you need a bike shop to change it for you.

Download e-tube for windows at https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com

Important: if you're using the charger, SM-BCR2, then the latest E-Tube Project version (V5 / Professional) will not work. You need version 3.4.5 or v4.0.4 from the archive page: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/e-tub...t/archive.html

Personally I prefer version 4.0.4, especially since v3.4.5 no longer connects to the internet for firmware updates. However, in some occassions version 4.0.4 will complain that the SM-BCR2 firmware is 'old'. The fix for that is to download 3.4.5, and use that to connect to the bike once. Doing so will update the BCR2 firmware in the background.

Version 3.4.5 will complain that it cannot connect to the internet, but you can ignore that message and just click 'ok' and 'connection check'.

In v3.4.5 you change the passkey like this:

Connect the bike to your computer using the charger and Junction A
Open the e-Tube windows app
Make a connection by clicking "connection check"
Click "Bluetooth LE settings"
Set a new passkey
If you're using v4.0.4, open the customize screen and then the EW-WU111 details page.

You can now use the passkey you just set to connect to your bike using BluetoothLE/ANT+. The Passkey is required for wireless connections only.

Also: if you really want to update firmware then I recommend using a computer (over USB) rather than the mobile app. It a bit safer. You can update using the mobile app, of course.. but as far as I'm concerned the mobile app's main feature is changing settings easily (out on the road).

More info:

resetting your passkey: https://bettershifting.com/change-di...ube-app-or-pc/ (2nd half of page)
connecting to computer https://bettershifting.com/how-to-co...dows-computer/
(disclaimer: my website . If you're having more problems and can't figure things out don't hesitate to ask)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:55 AM
ZhugeLiang

J-pal, thanks for chiming in. No d-fly connected.

I am not sure if it's needed or not but one thing that is odd is I can't get eTube to recognize the unit when connected through PCE01. It keeps giving the following message and when I clicked "Recover", it just repeats itself.

When I hooked it up with the rest of the setup - including the shifters, deraileurs, battery - the same thing happened but as soon as I removed the display unit from the rest, eTube is able to proceed to the next step, and detect all the devices connected. It's as if the display unit is a rogue unit causing the disruption and once removed, the sunshine returns.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:04 AM
ZhugeLiang

Connecting via PC Windows using Version 3.4.5.

PCE01 (disgnostic unit) - STM800 (display unit) - BM-DN100 (internal battery)

Got this error message.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:14 AM
Administrator

weisan pal, remember when life was simple

Old 04-03-2024, 09:42 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
weisan pal, remember when life was simple
Angry pal, trust me, I like a simple life, that's why my two main bikes are still mechanical 10 and 11 speed. This is just so I can get out of my cave occasionally and overlook the city down below that these kids called "Progress".
Old 04-03-2024, 09:47 AM
ZhugeLiang

Just got off the phone with Tom@Shimano, he thinks we have exhausted every possible avenues and the only explanation left is the unit's wireless feature is not working properly.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:10 AM
ZhugeLiang

A replacement/warranty unit came in yesterday. I hooked it up to the computer and apparently it already have the latest firmware, so no further action required. I installed it on the bike and connected all the wires, ran the app on the phone and it got connected successfully via bluetooth without any complication.

Case closed.