Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 09:56 AM

With or without radar, we ride as far right (or left) as possible. Having a radar does not change how we ride, we are simply more informed with radar.

It saves valuable reaction time having the information on the screen. Nothing more assuring then having radar confirmation and checking with my own eyes.

Having one of the best rear light on the radar is just icing on the cake.

I hear this argument against Varia all the time: "I don't need a radar cause I ride as if a car is always coming from behind." I must be missing something cause so do Radar users....

Last edited by openwheelracing; 04-03-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:32 AM

I have the older Varia RTL500, the little horizontal lozenge style, that I bought off of eBay for $60 a year ago. I was a skeptic but I really like it. I ride in the center of the lane on quiet roads until a car comes along, just as others have said upthread, so I feel it gives the driver more chance to see me.

I don't think it's light is that highly visible but I have ridden behind myself to check! I was a Dinotte user many years ago and those definitely caused drivers to give me more space.

My Fly6 rear facing video camera died and I won't replace it, because it's not really a good product. The Varia with integrated video isn't persuasive to me and the battery life is too short. I wish i could find another good rear facing video camera.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:57 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
FWIW, if you have a Garmin headunit, you can also control the flash modes from the pull-down menus from the top. I switch in and out of peloton modes mid-ride depending on whether I'm with other people.
That is a nice feature, unfortunately the light support on Wahoo is just binary on/off (though it's easy to toggle the setting using the button on the Varia while riding, I just don't always remember the sequence of modes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
Garmin says that for max battery use, daytime flash is the mode to use. In my experience that has been true.
Good to know. I'm just accustomed to using peloton mode after riding partners complained about the flashing mode blinding them on a night ride.

Last edited by cgolvin; 04-03-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
That is a nice feature, unfortunately the light support on Wahoo is just binary on/off (though it's easy to toggle the setting using the button on the Varia while riding, I just don't always remember the sequence of modes.)

Good to know. I'm just accustomed to using peloton mode after riding partners complained about the flashing mode blinding them on a night ride.
Wahoo should now include full mode control for Varia's with a readout of what the mode is on the head unit. You shouldn't use the flashing mode on the Varia or any light at night. If you are blinding riding partners during the day with a blinking light that sounds like an aiming issue as if the light is perpendicular to the road (which it should for visibility at distance) then riders on your wheel should NOT have any light in their eyes.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelreformist View Post
Also, as I've said a couple of times, I firmly believe the action of moving from the center of the lane to the right when the radar goes off is a strong signal to drivers that you've 'seen' them.

But of what value is that "signal"? Because if they saw that signal then they already saw us.

I mean that we see/hear them has usually never been the problem.
The problem is for us to be seen by them

Nothing else matters .....all that really matters is for instance at the time they come around a blind right sweeper that they are looking at the road & not their phone or GPS etc etc

Sadly the same holds true for all the bright colors we wear & flashing lights I do have & use. At the end of the day we all rely on them looking at the road when they come upon us.

Last edited by flying; 04-03-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
But of what value is that "signal"? Because if they saw that signal then they already saw us.

Nothing else matters .....all that really matters is for instance at the time they come around a blind right sweeper that they are looking at the road & not their phone or GPS etc etc

Sadly the same holds true for all the bright colors we wear & flashing lights I do have & use. At the end of the day we all rely on them looking at the road when they come upon us.
People act differently when they think or know they've been seen. Recording devices are everywhere and everyone knows it. Drivers may think they're on camera given a cyclist with radar didn't turn to look and no visible mirror. Even without radar, I've had d-bags crowd me when it wasn't safe for them to pass. Looking over my shoulder at them has caused them to wait as opposed to putting everyone in the position of compromised safety.

I'm as anti-tech as they come and have more then a dozen lugged steel road bikes in the next room. I won't ride the road without radar ever again. And if the one have now broke, I'd buy another at double the price.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
People act differently when they think or know they've been seen.
Yes again as I said
Quote:
Meaning it is most probable that the ones that hit cyclist were not even looking in the first place...sad but true

But if the radar makes those already "looking" do even better great.

Last edited by flying; 04-04-2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
I actually find the radar more useful when riding in quiet countryside. Cars are getting quieter and quieter, and can easily 'sneak up' on you, cycling with the sound of the wind in your ears. I prefer to know that a car is approaching before it is 30 feet behind me.
Also, it sets drivers at ease to know that you know they are approaching. Just lift your hand and wave for a couple of seconds when you hear the 'beep beep' of the radar. It's a friendly and safe gesture that I think diffuses a lot of potential frustration/confusion/anger from drivers.

When I ride in congested areas, I expect cars to be there almost all the time, so the radar, while still very useful, is less useful.
That makes perfect sense now that you mention it...
Old 04-07-2024, 04:56 PM

For the radar users--anyone try/use the non-Garmin options, namely Magene L508?

https://www.cyclistshub.com/magene-l508-review/

https://www.amazon.com/Magene-Tailli...f_=as_li_ss_tl