Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 04:17 PM
ZhugeLiang

I don't think I am the right person to participate in this conversation or this thread....

Old 02-28-2024, 04:28 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I don't think I am the right person to participate in this conversation or this thread....

maybe, maybe not...but those two frames on the lower right are attention catching.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:28 PM

Pre retirement I ran GP5000s, both regular and tubeless TL and TR in 28 and 32. No complaints, no flats on three bikes. I kept riding these into my first year of retirement and they are still going strong.

Now in my second year of retirement just picked up a pair of Pirelli P Zero Race Speedcore in 700x30. Easy to set up tubeless on Belgium + rims and they will end up on Btlos wheels whenever they get here(I ordered during Lunar New Year so I'll have to be patient)

Thinking about GP5000 TR AS in 700x35. The 700x32 TL work good for me on dirt and packed gravel so the 700x35 might be even better.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:05 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new set of tires. I'm seeing the Vittoria Corsa *Pro* Control TLR G2.0's going for >$100 a tire, and the Vittoria Corsa Control TLR G2.0 is going to ~$50. What's the difference? It looks like they're both 320 TPI cotton casings.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:07 PM

Two recent tyre changes:

1. Gravel

out: Vittoria Terreno Wet 38
in: Schwalbe G-One R 45
rim: Campagnolo Shamal carbon

I was a quite big fan of the Vittorias as winter gravel tyres. They dealt well with everything but the really sticky, peanut butter mud that bungs up just about everything, I also had no flats, I was happy with the ride feel, and they're relatively sensibly priced . Negative: they weren't super quick on road (though that's not a fair criticism of a big knob gravel tyre), the back tyre needed a compressor to seat, and they've worn more than I might have expected.

The G Ones have yet to see much use. They were fitted just as things were starting to dry up nicely, but since then, the southern UK has experienced one of the wettest springs on record, and everywhere is a quagmire. Preliminary results suggest they are quick and supple, and installation was simplicity itself, but find their limitations quite fast when it's muddier and slippier.

More to follow, but I wouldn't be amazed if I went back to the Cinturato M for late spring, summer and early autumn, and switched the Vittorias in over winter.

2. Road:

Out: Specialized Turbo T2/T5 2Bliss 30c
In: Pirelli P-Zero Race Speedcore TLR 30C

The Specialized were bought as they were on sale, and they are well reviewed/tested on BRR and elsewhere. I was impressed with the ease of mounting and the grip, and they weren't slow. Ride feel was a bit wooden, though, and a sidewall gash to the rear spelt the end of that tyre. Who knows if another tyre would have survived, but it's only my second ride ending puncture in 3 years and 30,000km.

I've used the non 'made in Italy' Pirellis before and been happy with them - pretty quick, pretty grippy, no punctures, fairly durable - if lacking the zing and suppleness of real out-and-out race rubber. These new ones are similar, but they feel genuinely fast; it may be placebo, but to me the difference is noticeable from the Specialized. I haven't done enough miles on them yet to report definitively, but I can see these being my go-to.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:49 PM

The word on other forums is that the Pirelli tires wear out faster than other tires.

After riding on a lot of tires I went back to Vittoria tires, they have a nice plush ride, last on the longer side of other tires, adhere to the pavement better than most if not all, and do a decent job against punctures which so far I've had none. I found 2 pairs of Open Pave CG III 700x25 on closeout for $20 each last year so I bought them, and while they are not as robust due to them being a racing tire, they seem to be holding up quite well with no flats, and they have a very plush ride with even butyl tubes, but I took those tubes out and put in latex and now they're even plusher. I doubt these will last as long as some of the other Vittoria's because they are racing tires, but I got them cheap so I don't care... supposedly this model ran the Rapha Hell of the North and finished with barely a scratch, advertising? I don't know. I am surprised they ride so plush considering Vittoria recommends about 10 psi more than other tires I've had.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Golf and pickleball.
Let's not forget fly fishing.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
The word on other forums is that the Pirelli tires wear out faster than other tires.
"Other forums"? Is this mere nonsense, or treasonous heresy?
Old 04-06-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
"Other forums"? Is this mere nonsense, or treasonous heresy?
Don't be smart, it's what people are saying on other forums, that Pirelli tires are not lasting as long as some other tires, they are on the side of faster wear out vs slower or medium wear out, there is no treason, no heresy, no-nonsense, no drama, it's simply what's being noted. Just like here on this forum, people will discuss negative and positive things about products, it's why people ask questions about products to get a response to get an idea about certain things, don't make it out to be something more than it isn't.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Don't be smart, it's what people are saying on other forums, that Pirelli tires are not lasting as long as some other tires, they are on the side of faster wear out vs slower or medium wear out, there is no treason, no heresy, no-nonsense, no drama, it's simply what's being noted. Just like here on this forum, people will discuss negative and positive things about products, it's why people ask questions about products to get a response to get an idea about certain things, don't make it out to be something more than it isn't.
Sorry, it was a joke.

Last edited by reuben; 04-07-2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:33 AM

I'm into Continental Ultra Sport tires these days. Long lasting, tough, good looking, easily installed, reasonably priced online.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:08 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
- Michelin Pro4 “Endurance”; picked up 25c and 28c versions of both and run them on my winter/travel/B bikes. Boy, do these run large!
This is good to hear.. I remember back when I first started riding seriously (around 2007) and picked up a set of Pro2s.. they rode wonderfully and the 25s plumped out to almost 27 on Ksyrium rims of the day.. when those were gone, I looked into the Pro3s and heard/read they weren't quite as nice riding and usually came in under the posted width on most wheels.. this was back when Jan was touting wide tires and most thought he was kook, but I was convinced to ride 28s for sure.. I think I went with a set of Vittoria tires, but can't remember for sure, could have been the re-released Clement tires (which were really good as well and now branded Donnelly)..