Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 12:30 PM

SPD cleat installation onto Lake MX238 question

I have decided to use XTR pedals for the new bike. Having now installed the the cleats with the provided spacer onto my new Lake MX238 shoes, I noticed the spacing between cleat bottom and ground is at least 2mm. The cleat installation instructions provided with the shoes indicates that the cleat to ground gap should be 0.25-1mm. If greater than this, it instructs to use additional shims. "Undesired Cleat Fitment +1mm or Larger Gap To Ground. Difficult to engage pedal with pressure or twisting on rubber lugs when engaged & pedaling. This will cause rubber sole damage or separation at cleat pocket." The instructions go on to state that "if cleat spacer is not available trim away the rubber lugs to achieve the desired gap of 0.25-1mm between cleat and ground." What the hell? In order to use one of the most common pedal types I must find additional spacers or trim away the rubber lugs?!! Really? Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
Old 04-06-2024, 12:34 PM
Back At It!

silly question, but do they clip in and out ok and can you walk comfortably in them? If so, why worry? I have Lake MX something or others and never even looked at this and my spds work just fine on Deore, XT, and XTR pedals..
Old 04-06-2024, 12:59 PM

Same. A have mx's and didn't bother with fiddling with spacers. Works fine on a set of XT pedals.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:24 PM

Thank you. Heading out for the inaugural ride on the new bike!
Old 04-06-2024, 07:04 PM

Okay. Went out for an hour and a half today. Love the new bike. However, the Lake shoe / XTR pedal interface is a little tight. What shims can you recommend?
Old 04-06-2024, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post
Okay. Went out for an hour and a half today. Love the new bike. However, the Lake shoe / XTR pedal interface is a little tight. What shims can you recommend?
Same issue on one pair, I used Crank Bros Shoe Shields. Technically not shims, but they provided enough for me. Nice thing is they really free up the float (which I like, Speedplay'ish), unfortunately can't add them to all my shoes.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2024, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnos View Post
I used that model with xtr and it will break in and not be as tight after some usage. I’ve never used shims with my lake models and xtr.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:27 AM

You can double shim, and use longer cleat bolts.

Another option is to grind the tread down a bit. I've used a bench grinder to do the job, and it was very useful, and tidy.

I use Lake shoes, and find the fit exceptional, but I never cared for the MX tread design. First, it employs too much rubber that covers more surface area than necessary, and hence, the shoes weigh more than they should. Second, the cleat well is too deep as you noted.

I would like to see Lake take the opportunity to design a proper touring/gravel shoe that weighs less than two bricks, and also provides a walk-able sole.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:47 AM

I always thought the lakes were some of the most walkable mtb soles available with the rubber sole. They provide much better traction and don’t wear nearly as fast as most brands that use plastic or other non rubber tread.

To make a mtb shoe more walkable the sole would need to be more flexible and I don’t think most want a regular shoe that looks like a cyclist shoe.

I don’t argue they weigh a lot. I have the same model road shoe and it feels like a slipper comparatively and is much lighter. Riding the bike though this doesn’t seem to impact anything besides a kitchen scale.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-07-2024 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
You can double shim, and use longer cleat bolts.

Another option is to grind the tread down a bit. I've used a bench grinder to do the job, and it was very useful, and tidy.

I use Lake shoes, and find the fit exceptional, but I never cared for the MX tread design. First, it employs too much rubber that covers more surface area than necessary, and hence, the shoes weigh more than they should. Second, the cleat well is too deep as you noted.

I would like to see Lake take the opportunity to design a proper touring/gravel shoe that weighs less than two bricks, and also provides a walk-able sole.
Ha! Every time I turn around there is some other tool to purchase.

I really do like the shoes. Super comfortable with ample toe room.