Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2024, 04:51 PM
Back At It!

Salsa Ala Carte to Gravel Bike?

So I've always had a soft spot for Salsa bikes and particularly the Ala Carte..

anyway, I got in my head that it might be a good idea to convert an Ala Carte to a gravel bike.. anyone ever done something similar? Since the Ala Carte is 26", am I stuck with 27.5 or can you squeeze a 700x40ish wheel/tire combo in there? Any other "gotchas"?

At this point, I'm just pondering the possibility and feasibility..

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2024, 05:09 PM

If you just love an Ala Carte and don't care about all the compromises in geometry, tire clearance, and brakes, you could make this happen.

But you could spend less and get a gravel bike that addresses all those compromises I just mentioned.

Depends what you want - an Ala Carte or a gravel bike.

If it was me, and I loved a 26 inch bike, I would make it into a very capable commuter. Don't think I would stretch it into a gravel bike.
Old 09-15-2024, 05:09 PM
litcrazy

I tried this a few years ago with my Ala Carte, before I got my Black Mountain Cycles Road Plus and then my Waltly.

I'd converted a couple of MB1s for my kids and an MB3 for my wife, so I was hoping to capture that magic.

I used a VO Cigne stem in order to get the stem where I wanted it. I kept it 26" with really fast Schwalbe 2.25" tires. The fit was where I wanted it, but for some reason I really didn't like the ride.

Whereas it's magic running it as a single speed with ti bars and a ti seatpost, it felt really piggish as a gravel bikes for some reason. I was hopeful, but then shifted to the BMC.

I was much happier with the BMC, but then w]ent with the Waltly for big tire capacity. I'm running the Waltly 27.5 with fat tires (2.6" Mezcal in front, and ballooned out Gravelking [59mm] in back with a 70 head angle. It feels great.

The angles of my Waltly and Ala Carte are similar. I think it maybe because I don't like a long reach and I needed a high stack. With the Cigne the fit was just where I wanted it, but the I think the balance was off.

Good luck with this. I really wanted it to work. It went back to a single speed where it's living a good life.
Old 09-15-2024, 05:13 PM
Back At It!

thanks and good points.. I figure it might be a long shot.. as was said, bound to be shortcomings..
Old 09-15-2024, 05:44 PM

I think we have all considered turning the 26" mountain bikes we love into something they are not in order to extend their useful life. It is typically a bad idea as it will not give you an even mediocre gravel bike. I'm not sure if someone can be told this or needs to learn it on their own.

The ala carte is a wonderful bike of its era. If it was mine I would keep it in its current format and ride it like that when I felt like riding that bike. Or you could do what I recently did and sell off my desirable old mountain bikes to add funds to the new bike account.
Old 09-15-2024, 06:17 PM

Tell me it has a jelly bean paint job, bontrager fork and roller stem.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Tell me it has a jelly bean paint job, bontrager fork and roller stem.
I'm betting it's a newer version...

But hell yes!

Last edited by charliedid; 09-15-2024 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:26 PM
Back At It!

I don’t have one at all at the moment, just always admired them..
Old 09-15-2024, 07:57 PM

Always my issue with mtb to gravel bike: stack and suspension corrected fork. I can make it work, I enjoy riding it, but it hurts my eyes to look at. Proper gravel frame with big tires is indistinguishable from converted mtb, performance-wise, and doesn't look dumb. Just my take.
Old 09-15-2024, 10:36 PM
litcrazy

I think older, presuspension 26" frame convert well if you can make the stack and reach work with a Nitto dirt drop stem (and you have a traditional 26mm bar you like). If you run a burrito, it makes it look okay.
The Ala Carte conversion looked a bit clunkier to my eye, in part because of my need for a high stack and short reach.
I have a friend who converted a Steel Niner and it looked fine because of his preference for a long reach.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:19 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by litcrazy View Post
I think older, presuspension 26" frame convert well if you can make the stack and reach work with a Nitto dirt drop stem (and you have a traditional 26mm bar you like). If you run a burrito, it makes it look okay.
The Ala Carte conversion looked a bit clunkier to my eye, in part because of my need for a high stack and short reach.
I have a friend who converted a Steel Niner and it looked fine because of his preference for a long reach.
that's good gouge as I do not prefer a long reach.. oh well, was a cool idea.. who knows, if I run across one for cheap..
Old 09-16-2024, 02:02 AM

I was going to say, if you already have it, the conversion can be worth trying out. I did it with a Kona Hei Hei from that time period (when the Hei Hei was a Ti hardtail, 26" rim brake) and enjoy the converted bike. But I'm not sure I'd buy an old bike just to convert it.

Strike that, I totally would. I'm not sure it's the best idea, logically. But hey, I just picked up Andy_STI's Bridgestone MB-1, so we'll see how that goes!
Old 09-16-2024, 06:10 AM

Nothing is wrong with the Ala Carte. Conversion to a gravel bike, whatever the heck that is, only requires choice of the right tire. The rest is marketing noise.

My Ala Carte was a gravel/dirt road missile as proven on several D2R2s. Handlebars were cut down to 55cm, including the bar ends. The bar ends gave me multiple hand positions, and body position was similar to riding on the hoods of a road bike; aggressive, and comfortable. All it took was a switch to a narrower tire. After D2R2 I'd put my knobbies back on and it would resume duties as my mountain bike.

That's an Independent Fabrications suspension corrected fork up front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATB.jpg (120.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 09-16-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm betting it's a newer version...

But hell yes!
Can always hope.

I did a conversion to my dekerf, and switched back. Couldn't get the stem in the right spot. Reminds me, I have a set if microshift parts and handlebar to sell.
Old 09-16-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litcrazy View Post
Whereas it's magic running it as a single speed with ti bars and a ti seatpost, it felt really piggish as a gravel bikes for some reason. I was hopeful, but then shifted to the BMC.
Its probably the small wheels. I notice going back and forth the 29/700c wheels just feel like they'll keep rolling when on a 26" you have to feel like your constantly pedaling to keep up the same momentum.