Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 12:04 PM

Belly Fat Explained and How to Get Rid of It

Some of you are no doubt experts on the subject of nutrition, exercise and belly fat but I found these videos explained it well and thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqALVXaIl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACFi0ZIO8w
Old 10-18-2021, 02:03 PM
cmg

Thanks. Need to watch those and others like it to keep from repeating a pattern. Sugar and flour products my downfall.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:24 PM

OK, some good info here. Re: crunches ain't gonna do it, visceral adipose, sugar, insulin, and cortisol but...

It's more than just sweets that can spike insulin. Lots of foods can.
https://glycemicindex.com/gi-search/
In general it's better to eat low-glycemic foods.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/healt...lycemic-eating

And this always bugs me: Aerobic / anaerobic, fat / gylocogen metabolism is not one or the other. They both happen simultaneously but there is a point where you switch from predominantly fat to predominantly glycogen. When you're hammering you're burning mostly glycogen but you're still burning fat as well. See graph.

Intensity increases left to right.
Fat = red
Glycogen = green

And what's all this about "strengthening" the brain??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (14.9 KB, 961 views)

Last edited by Dr Luxurious; 10-18-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:07 PM

Also - microbes. The microbes in your gut play an integral role in how your body processes the calories in your food, and even directs it toward energy storage vs. burning pathways.

This one of the reasons why clinical level dietary intervention and exercise fails for some individuals. It doesn't matter what they eat or how much - their microbes push what ever calories they consume toward storage pathways.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:16 PM

And one more thing...

Proper, sufficient, consistent SLEEP!
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luxurious View Post
And one more thing...

Your sleep is likely disrupted by your dynamite.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:53 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:

Single biggest issue for me—no problem falling asleep, but I wake up. Been to sleep clinic etc. and I know I’m capable of sleeping well, but consistently? —doesn't happen.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
And one more thing...

I couldn't agree more; I started paying more attention to my sleep recently and the difference sufficient, consistent sleep makes is remarkable.

6 hours a night doesn't cut it for most folks, me included.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
Single biggest issue for me—no problem falling asleep, but I wake up. Been to sleep clinic etc. and I know I’m capable of sleeping well, but consistently? —doesn't happen.
Me too, and I've landed on a mix of things which sorta-work for me, (no idea if they will for you I'm afraid) and I still wake up multiple times a night

1. Exercise every day (2+ hours of cardio is ideal for me, don't always get it)
2. No screens in bed. All screens programmed to change color temperature at night
3. 5mg of oral CBD before bed.

None of this is science but maybe something in there could improve your sleep?
Old 10-18-2021, 07:05 PM

quitting alcohol, and all but eliminating sugar (except for fruit... i eat tons and tons of fruit) made a drastic difference for me.

you can pry my pineapple, watermelon, berries, and mango from my cold dead hands

oh, and for anybody with sleep issues, installing a screen-temperature app on your electronic devices is MANDATORY. i would say its mandatory for anybody.
and its not just a scree dimmer, it changes the kelvin temperature from daylight blue, to orange/amber. its instantly noticeable.

for i-products there's "f.lux"
for windows/android there's "twilight"

Last edited by Kingson; 10-18-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:18 AM

All great helpful information including the videos. Thank you
Old 10-19-2021, 09:34 AM

Be careful with what you find on Youtube or the internet in general. Always verify with peer reviewed papers.

Insulin resistance leads to weight gain is a myth:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6435844/

Quote:
Any measure of obesity is positively associated with insulin resistance, and weight gain likely increases insulin resistance. A popular myth has emerged that argues for the idea that insulin resistance enhances weight gain and/or prevents weight loss. This is the premise for bestselling weight-loss books such as “The obesity code” by Fung [34].

Insulin-resistant individuals compensate for a decrease in insulin action with an increase in plasma insulin concentration [35]. Since insulin stimulates lipogenesis [36], some have contended that the hyperinsulinemic state—which is necessary to compensate for insulin resistance—may hinder weight loss. Zavaroni et al. [37], however, disproved this hypothesis and showed that the degree of insulin response during an oral glucose tolerance test does not predict weight gain over 14 years of follow-up. In this study, adults with a baseline mean age of 40 years were stratified into quartiles based on their 2-hour insulin concentration after a 75-g oral glucose challenge. Insulin concentrations ranged from 18 µIU/mL in the lowest quartile to 106 µIU/mL in the highest. Although there was nearly a 6-fold difference in insulin concentrations, and presumably similar range of insulin resistance, weight gain was similar among the quartiles over 14 years of follow-up.

McLaughlin et al. [38] also showed that baseline differences in insulin resistance measured by the insulin suppression test did not predict degree of weight loss in response to a hypocaloric diet. In another study, obese women (BMI 30 to 36 kg/m2) who were characterized as either insulin sensitive or insulin resistant based on the insulin suppression test lost the same degree of weight in response to a hypocaloric diet and sibutramine (an older weight-loss medication which has subsequently been discontinued) over a 4-month period [39]. Insulin-resistant women lost 8.6 kg and insulin-sensitive women 7.9 kg. Insulin-resistant women also significantly improved their degree of insulin resistance by 34%, suggesting that IMGU can be modified by weight loss.

Recently, Gardner et al. [40] showed that overweight/obese individuals lost the same amount of weight on low-fat and low-carbohydrate diets, regardless of their plasma insulin concentrations (measured at 30 minutes during the 75-g oral glucose tolerance test). When individuals were stratified by tertiles of plasma insulin concentrations, the degree of weight loss did not vary across the tertiles, further supporting the idea that the degree of hyperinsulinemia does not change the ability of individuals to lose weight. Furthermore, the type of diet (low-fat vs. low-carbohydrate) or diet genotype (which suggested greater response to either low-fat or low-carbohydrate diets, or neither) also did not change the ability of individuals to lose weight. In conclusion, overweight/obese insulin-resistant individuals can lose weight to the same degree as insulin-sensitive individuals.

A lot of people support these myths with quips like "I removed sugar and lost 10lbs" which leads to quite a bit of confirmation bias.

Well of course you lost weight, you removed 400 calories a day from your diet...

FYI alcohol has 7 calories per gram. Same deal. Cut out alcohol, cut out a significant number of calories.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
OK, some good info here. Re: crunches ain't gonna do it, visceral adipose, sugar, insulin, and cortisol but...

It's more than just sweets that can spike insulin. Lots of foods can.
https://glycemicindex.com/gi-search/
In general it's better to eat low-glycemic foods.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/healt...lycemic-eating

And this always bugs me: Aerobic / anaerobic, fat / gylocogen metabolism is not one or the other. They both happen simultaneously but there is a point where you switch from predominantly fat to predominantly glycogen. When you're hammering you're burning mostly glycogen but you're still burning fat as well. See graph.

Intensity increases left to right.
Fat = red
Glycogen = green

And what's all this about "strengthening" the brain??

https://academic.oup.com/advances/ad...searchresult=1

Quote:
Based on results from observational cohort studies and meta-analyses of RCTs, we conclude that there is scant scientific evidence that low-GI diets are superior to high-GI diets for weight loss and obesity prevention.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:58 PM

Well, "Doctor" Ekberg has a Doctorate of Chiropractic from Life University (I kid not), and offices next to a sushi place in a mall. oh, and a youtube channel.

what could go wrong?
Old 10-19-2021, 08:22 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
Dude... I hear ya.
(Probably at 3:00 AM when I'm wide awake.)