Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2021, 06:13 PM

Mostly unanswerable/personal question: for N+1, known or new?

Now that I've moved to Seattle, I'm trying to add a disc road bike that will fit both fenders and 700x32 tires. Not too many options out there at the moment given my budget, 6'4" height, and generally tight supply. Three candidates leading the way at this point are a LeMond Poprad, a Fuji Jari (both are frame-only) and a KHS CX-300 complete bike.

[1] A LeMond Poprad (with discs). Steel, horizontal top tube. Red. Classy. I've owned a Poprad before and think back on it fondly, but (a)recognize that it's heavier (b)I'll worry about rust (c)wheels are quick-release. It's a known quantity and I'm pretty darn sure it'll work for me and I'll like it.

[2] A Fuji Jari. Aluminum, sloping top tube. Silver. New school. 65mm bottom bracket drop so that I want to try 650b wheels with it. Lighter. Should be road-like yet fit big tires and be gravel/adventure friendly in the future. Wheels are through-axle. I've never ridden disc brakes, never ridden 650b, never used through-axles. Maybe I should just jump all-in? It's a new concept but I'm pretty sure that it'll work for me.

[3] A KHS CX-300. Full bike. Aluminum, horizontal top tube. Mid-school. 72STA, 73HTA, 70mm bottom bracket drop. 2014. First-generation disc mounts and QR's, but the bike has adapters and Tektro HY-RD so the brakes should be good. Cosmetically fair at best and needs some upgrades, but cheap enough to be worth the added $$$. Kind of the middle ground between the other two options.

So... which one? The known quantity, or the risk of trying something new that might be even better?

(Yes, this is really only something that I can answer for myself. But what do you think? What would you do?)

Edit: A 2018 Cannondale Synapse popped up on the local CL, so I snagged it. Option 4 for the win!

Last edited by mhespenheide; 10-19-2021 at 11:51 PM. Reason: follow-up
Old 10-06-2021, 06:23 PM

I'd go fo the the Fuji for the modern geo and parts.

Maybe you'll like it and maybe you won't but then you'll know, and if you don't there will be QR Propads coming up for a long time.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:24 PM

I've got nothing on the two you list, but have you considered a Black Mountain Road+? Appears he has one 59 in stock.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:27 PM

I agree I would go with some kind of modern day gravel or all road bike with modern standards and components. Such as that fuji.

There are actually quite a lot of good 650b tires out there but they are mostly on the wider side. If you’re interested in relatively fast rolling high volume tires, and also having room for fenders, I would strongly consider 650b.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Fat tires are the new black these days, almost any of the big brands have a bike that fits the bill easily, though the prices across the board are moving in the upward direction.

I've always liked All City as a good workhorse brand offering practical rides. the cosmic stallion looks like it might be in your range of options.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:43 PM

I just sent you a PM, and then realized that some of what you were asking was for maybe other suggestions. so here's my thoughts and feel free to ignore the PM if you'd like!

I don't have specific answers on the two you asked about, but the Jari might make more sense because of its modern geo and part flexibility.

A couple others to consider that all clear 35s without fenders. Supposedly will clear a 650, but don't remember the size only that there was a thread on the 650b forum.
-All City Zig Zag
And as Nick said above, the Cosmic Stallion is an additional offering that will also fit the bill.

TPC has some Bombtrack stuff that could be reasonable as well, and are def 650 clearance compatible, but more gravel-ish vs pure road.
-Audax AL
-Audax Steel
Old 10-06-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
So... which one?
=>Fuji. You want through axles with disc brakes.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:53 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Poprad disc 130mm spaced rear, all as far as I know. FWIW

I've had a 853 non disc and a disc OX Poprad. Like the Canti 853 feel a lot. The 853 Disc was gone fast, just felt like a turd to me. I think those satellite disc forks may have been the culprit.

Black Mountain in a NY minute...

Or spend a bit more and a disc CX Habanero Ti.

https://www.habcycles.com/cross.html

As far as QR disc, my old Gary 29er Paragon never shifted a wheel and still a fav here.

My 2015 Strong All road has QR front 180mm rotor and has handled Crater Lake descents braking weighing 46 lb loaded bags before I got on it. Use XT or XTR steel skewers, plug and play. Yes, I have a TA disc road bike too...

Last edited by robt57; 10-06-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:54 PM

Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
=>Fuji. You want through axles with disc brakes.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I've got nothing on the two you list, but have you considered a Black Mountain Road+? Appears he has one 59 in stock.
Thank you; I honestly think I'm a 56cm in BMC sizing. Mike Varley is like 6'6" and his biggest sizes are like 4XL in standard bike sizing.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolface View Post
I'd go fo the the Fuji for the modern geo and parts.

Maybe you'll like it and maybe you won't but then you'll know, and if you don't there will be QR Propads coming up for a long time.
Disc 59's are not too common, but I take your point.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Poprad disc 130mm spaced rear, all as far as I know. FWIW

I've had a 853 non disc and a disc OX Poprad. Like the Canti 853 feel a lot. The 853 Disc was gone fast, just felt like a turd to me. I think those satellite disc forks may have been the culprit.
Yeah? I had an OX Platinum canti model Poprad. Even if I don't get the disc Poprad (only available in OX Platinum), I'd like to try an 853 non-disc model sometime. I just have a bias towards Reynolds tubing, I think. I'd love to pick up an 853 Poprad frame and then move the brake bosses so that they fit Paul Racer brakes, and add a similar good-quality (custom) steel fork. A project for someday...
Old 10-06-2021, 09:45 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185046844679

Find some commuter wheels for a couple hundred and some SRAM cranks, sell those CK/Astral wheels and the WI cranks - and you've got a GREAT commuter setup for fenders that'll let you load up whatever you need to and go wherever you want for a really solid deal.

If I was commuting in Seattle, I'd go 650b for sure. The roads are crap and extra volume is extra good.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:04 PM

I had an alloy Jari for a while, until a truck turned left across me.

It was a really nice ride, fun and compliant. The largest 650b you will fit in the frame is 47mm. My favorite wheel/tire setup with that bike was 42mm Rutlands for rough stuff or 38mm GK slicks for more tame adventures.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I had an alloy Jari for a while, until a truck turned left across me.

It was a really nice ride, fun and compliant. The largest 650b you will fit in the frame is 47mm. My favorite wheel/tire setup with that bike was 42mm Rutlands for rough stuff or 38mm GK slicks for more tame adventures.
Cool, thanks for that. I have to admit, I'm getting convinced to go that way. Pick up the Jari, install the largest fenders I can, and then see if 650b x 42mm fits, or those 38mm GK slicks if needed.