Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I have a set of speedplays (with shoes/cleats if youre a 12-13) that you can borrow to try out if you wanna pick em up in Orange?
thanks, I think I actually have some in a box of pedals someplace.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
Been using Time RXS with 5 degrees float since forever. I'm sure that the later models are better, but this seems to work really well and pedals are really unobtrusive to hoard.
I like as much float as I can get, and perfer the old RXS too. Picked up a couple pairs for dirt off ebay. You can adjust the centering tension too, though not to zero. And some lateral float, which I like.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:34 PM

I need plenty of float and use the Speedplay frogs on all of the bikes I clip in to. Been my go to for quite a few years.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
... I never liked speedplays because of the fragile cleats but they might be the only option for a system with a lot of float. I can't remember if speedplay pedals drive you back to center or not though.

I know that pedal float may not be the best long term solution and I would be open to switching to a more constrained system eventually …
I don’t know if you ever used SP walkable cleats, but because the cleat is encased in rubber, a lot of the durability issue should go away if you’re able and willing to regularly dry lube the cleat springs. If you are, I suspect the durability issue is a red herring now. The thing is, it is an additional maintenance task that no other pedal system needs, and it’s not unreasonable to protest this. Also, I’m pretty sure SP is still more prone to fouling than other systems.

I assume that by “centering”, you mean there’s something like a return spring forcing you back to neutral. If that’s right, then SP is not centering.

I have personally come to regard float as a red herring. I am able to set my cleats up such that I don’t require rotational float at the pedal when I’m pedaling, I.e. I don’t need my feet to rotate about the Z axis when pedaling. I think there are at least some people out there who conflate degrees of float for knee friendly. I know that’s wrong for me. If you have your stance width correct and your knees tracking properly, but you still need rotational float, and if you can’t get that with yellow Shimanos or the 9 degree Looks, then it does seem like SP should be on the list of options.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I don’t know if you ever used SP walkable cleats, but because the cleat is encased in rubber, a lot of the durability issue should go away if you’re able and willing to regularly dry lube the cleat springs. If you are, I suspect the durability issue is a red herring now. The thing is, it is an additional maintenance task that no other pedal system needs, and it’s not unreasonable to protest this. Also, I’m pretty sure SP is still more prone to fouling than other systems.

I assume that by “centering”, you mean there’s something like a return spring forcing you back to neutral. If that’s right, then SP is not centering.

I have personally come to regard float as a red herring. I am able to set my cleats up such that I don’t require rotational float at the pedal when I’m pedaling, I.e. I don’t need my feet to rotate about the Z axis when pedaling. I think there are at least some people out there who conflate degrees of float for knee friendly. I know that’s wrong for me. If you have your stance width correct and your knees tracking properly, but you still need rotational float, and if you can’t get that with yellow Shimanos or the 9 degree Looks, then it does seem like SP should be on the list of options.

Keywin are the only other pedal system I know of that doesn't have a centering force on the float. It only offers six degrees float but it can be adjusted and at its loosest setting the float is very, very free.

I concur with you on the amount of float needed. Unless someone has some real biomechanical issues, a careful examination of the pedal stroke and foot travel should allow someone to arrive at a setup where the amount of float needed is not that great.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:02 AM

I have been riding flat pedals for a long time and I find that I do not use just one position when pedaling. This may be a bad habit but I have it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Keywin are the only other pedal system I know of that doesn't have a centering force on the float. It only offers six degrees float but it can be adjusted and at its loosest setting the float is very, very free.

I concur with you on the amount of float needed. Unless someone has some real biomechanical issues, a careful examination of the pedal stroke and foot travel should allow someone to arrive at a setup where the amount of float needed is not that great.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I have been riding flat pedals for a long time and I find that I do not use just one position when pedaling. This may be a bad habit but I have it now.
Peter Weigle seems to get along fine without being tethered to a step-in pedal and shoe system. I have been trying my best to not allow technology to guide my enjoyment of riding a bicycle. I know this is your ethos too. If flat pedals work for you, why upset the balance?
Old 10-20-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I don’t know if you ever used SP walkable cleats, but because the cleat is encased in rubber, a lot of the durability issue should go away if you’re able and willing to regularly dry lube the cleat springs. .
Also, Keep-on-Kovers work really well, if you have the X's.
https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-S.../dp/B00GNGJHO0
Old 10-20-2021, 11:06 AM

...another vote for Time RXS and Xpresso (and previous generations of Time pedals) ... +/- 5 degrees of float, 2.5mm of lateral float and lateral offset adjustment.

In my case the lateral float is best feature as it allows your foot to settle in is natural sweet spot (assuming all other fit factors are addressed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.06.07 PM.jpg (41.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:09 AM

Same here--I've used Speedplay Frogs since their introduction. I used to have 1st gen Time and Speedplay road pedals too, but for a good decade I've been Frog only. I hoard them. I should probably let some go, but after riding for 30 years on them without knee problems, I'm reluctant to change. I also like flats on the MTB and City bike, but for long and fast, I like the clipped in feeling. Frogs aren't perfect, and when the cleats are too worn, you can accidentally unclip, but other than that, they have been a great system.

I am also curious about Time RXS, Xspresso, and Atac models, which seem to give the most float for currently available models. Following this thread closely.

Still, I've
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I need plenty of float and use the Speedplay frogs on all of the bikes I clip in to. Been my go to for quite a few years.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2021, 11:24 AM

This is my experience too on flats--my feet move around a bit--occasionally I'll hear the squeak of the outside of my rubber sole brushing a crank arm. Curriously, the only knee pain I've had from riding over the years has been when I did long miles and tours on MTB bikes with flats and a wide Q-factor. I have a single speed with flats and narrow Q which never causes trouble.

Quote:
Old 10-20-2021, 12:15 PM

Speedplay Zeros have the most float, the float is adjustable to your preference, very smooth, and DO NOT self center. As previously mentioned the newer "walkable cleat" or keep on covers do a pretty good job of protecting the metal plate and screw heads (originals would wear down pretty easily).

Big thing is to keep them clean and occasionally apply a light lube (I use silicone spray lube on the cleat springs about once a week). The pedal bearings should also be greased through the port periodically, although I've heard the new ones from Wahoo eliminated this need/option.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
Same here--I've used Speedplay Frogs since their introduction. I used to have 1st gen Time and Speedplay road pedals too, but for a good decade I've been Frog only. I hoard them. I should probably let some go, but after riding for 30 years on them without knee problems, I'm reluctant to change. I also like flats on the MTB and City bike, but for long and fast, I like the clipped in feeling. Frogs aren't perfect, and when the cleats are too worn, you can accidentally unclip, but other than that, they have been a great system.
This.

Frogs made my knee (patellofemoral related) problems due to cycling just completely go away. And stay away. No matter how hard I beat on them.

And so when you see that they’ve been discontinued and you can’t buy cleats… well… you hoard.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:13 PM

Another vote for Time, either the road or MTB pedals. For me, the float is really good, being able to adjust the stance with cleat installation helps as well.

The RXS pedals can be harder to find now, but cleats are still fairly easy to source. The XPro/Xpresso are good, and the updated cleat material is much more durable than the easy versions.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:23 PM

Good question, 3 reasons

1. I used them for a long time and I liked them. I would like to give them another chance.

2. I like flats but I do find myself having to correct my foot position a lot.

3. Vanity. Some bikes look silly with big platform pedals on them.

4. I never liked clips and straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Peter Weigle seems to get along fine without being tethered to a step-in pedal and shoe system. I have been trying my best to not allow technology to guide my enjoyment of riding a bicycle. I know this is your ethos too. If flat pedals work for you, why upset the balance?