Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
Lavi, how's the hip?

This subject is close to me, because I got another cortisone injection 3 weeks ago on the outside of the right hip. Apparently, you can have arthritis in the joint, and I got cortisone in that joint about a month and a half ago, but you can also have bursitis on the outside of the joint. I had another injection there.

I had a visit with Winchester Orthopedics today and was asked about a metal hip. I said, "Hell No!" if I can manage with the cortisone and still ride and work out in the gym, I am sticking with that.

Anyway, hope your situation is working out.
As I'm sure they told you, Cortisone is NOT a long term solution unless you are a lucky one that one injection helps for years. If it lasted 45 days, that's not going to cut it long term. I know several people who got hip replacements that are much happier afterwards.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
As I'm sure they told you, Cortisone is NOT a long term solution unless you are a lucky one that one injection helps for years. If it lasted 45 days, that's not going to cut it long term. I know several people who got hip replacements that are much happier afterwards.
Thanks for the opinion. Cortisone is not a miracle cure for me, but it helps and keeps me in the game with workouts in the gym and riding. I pushed the sled in the gym today loaded with 45lb plates - 50 steps each way for six (one-way) trips. I start with 5 plates for two trips, then 6 for two trips, then 7. Hip's a little sore now, but will be better tomorrow and I am okay with that. Thanks again for the response.

Last edited by dcama5; 06-08-2023 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:29 PM
Deconditioned!

Hip is ok. I'm more settling into my new norm.

I'm off the Celebrex as I don't like taking medicine. It did the trick of calming down the inflammation and whatever else was going on in there. Now, it is just tight all the time (arthritis). I get the occasional stabbing pain if I move it the wrong way.

Not much to do aside from wait the bugger out until it's surgery time. I hope to push it off for a very long time (a decade or longer).

I'm working on watching the late night snacks (ice cream) in hopes that reducing the sugar will help with keeping inflammation in the joint down.

My PT said the same regarding shots. He said the first would likely be helpful, but the subsequent shots would have reduced effectiveness. I'm not in nearly enough pain yet (I'm more just bummed about this coming on) to need/want a shot.

I think I may have mentioned this...but something I found interesting....My doc said that by the time a person feels the pain, the degradation of the joint is already 70% complete. You don't feel it until it's quite advanced. Dammit.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:35 PM

As someone contemplating 4th back surgery, I wish it were only hip replacement...
Old 06-07-2023, 05:40 PM

Lavi, I thought you were on Meloxicam. I tried Celebrex (similar to Meloxicam) but after severe hives, found that I was allergic to it. Although Meloxicam is a drug in the same class as Celebrex, I'm okay with that. If either works for you, they are both pretty safe 24hr NSAIDs. Good luck with this. Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 06-07-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:47 AM

Lavi and all,

Well, it happened - total hip replacement yesterday to a titanium shaft in the femur and a ceramic ball (think ceramicspeed). It was done via the anterior approach (as others have said here, the best approach for sure) and as an outpatient procedure.

It happened because my hip joint deteriorated much more rapidly over the past year, and cortisone just no longer was effective. They did an x-ray last November and the x-ray tech showed me all the white (arthritis) in it and said: "That's one angry hip!". The orthopedist at that time called it severe.

After the surgery yesterday, they gave me two small injections of demerol and one oxycodone tablet. With that in, I felt pretty good and thought I may be able to skip the oxycodone at home. But after last night when the pain meds wore off, the answer is NO! Maybe the most painful experience I have ever had. It's manageable with the oxycodone, and should get significantly better in a 5-7 days.

What made me sure it was time, was the constant pain but also the realization that I just can not ride anymore with that hip. With a brand new Zukas, that no-riding option didn't make sense.

Good luck to all here going through the same and getting this procedure and thanks for the advice.

Last edited by dcama5; 03-06-2024 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:25 AM

Thr

dcama5, congratulations on your THR! You'll be fine as long as you don't try to over do it, listen to your body, let it heal. One recommendation I was given before my THR that I pass along to anyone having one is ice, 24/7 for the first several days. Just keep a bag of ice on the incision area all the time. Also, don't get freaked out if after somewhere between 7-10 days your hip area around the incision is black/blue/purple. My Dr. didn't tell me this would happen, but it did, but not until a week+ after the surgery. Best of luck with your new hip. I just had my 11th year anniversary, similar to yours, Ti post and ceramic ball and socket, knock on wood, its performing like new, never even think about it.

Last edited by quattro; 03-05-2024 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-05-2024, 07:24 AM

I’ve tight hips and switching to shorter cranks helps me a lot. My mtb came with 175mm late last year; the longest ive used in over ten years. My hips immediately started aching and feeling tight when I got the bike. I didn’t connect the dots. It wasn’t until I moved to 165 a few months later and the aching and tightness went away almost overnight. They are still tight and ache but is more like normal now and not constantly bothering me.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’ve tight hips and switching to shorter cranks helps me a lot. My mtb came with 175mm late last year; the longest ive used in over ten years. My hips immediately started aching and feeling tight when I got the bike. I didn’t connect the dots. It wasn’t until I moved to 165 a few months later and the aching and tightness went away almost overnight. They are still tight and ache but is more like normal now and not constantly bothering me.
Ditto

My hip pain is mild at best and intermittent but I too am liking the 165 cranks.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:52 AM

Same thing with my wife. She has pain from her hip down to her lower leg.
They diagnosed it as sciatica and had lots of physical therapy but she still has the pain. She is 5’2” and her 48cm bike came with 170mm cranks. I changed them to 165mm which is what we have on our tandem and she no longer has the pain after cycling.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:06 PM

I've been experiencing increasingly severe left hip pain for the last 8 months. I inititially thought it was a deep ligament pull or something that I could wait out. Interestingly for me, I could still do my cycling without aggravating the pain, but walking for any length beyond a few yards tended to substatially increase the intensity of my discomfort. The last month was especially difficult and even riding my bike was uncomfortable.
After reading this thread I made an appointment to see a Orthopedic Doctor and I found out Wednesday that I now have bone on bone contact within my left hip joint. Usually xrays are like ink blot tests for me when looking at them. This time when the Doctor showed me the xray the problem stood out like opening night of a Broadway musical. I'm scheduled for total hip replacement surgery on the 23rd of April. I would have eventually gone to the Doctor but this thread on Paceline probably saved me some unnecessary weeks of more pain.