Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Any experiences with DT Swiss Spline R23 wheelset?

I'm looking at a possible trade with a person here, but can't find too much information about these online. I know there are plenty of great 700c disc wheel options out there, so I'm not looking for 'here's a better alternative' comments, just if anyone has used these and what their experience is...or any concerns with any aspects of the wheel. Just looking for something that isn't flashy...it might work for a trade deal for my WTB Dt350 650B wheel, I'm working on) Looks like the updated version is the "P 1800 Spline".

I believe they use the DT Swiss R460 DB rim, which appears to have feedback as a solid/nothing fancy (ie missing features like asymmetric drilling) rim that builds up well, good QC.

24 spokes front and rear...that's a little bit of a concern for me but DT Swiss specifies a 110 Kg weight limit. Perhaps its that common low spoke / high tension design that if done right can be pretty durable/stiff. I had a set of DA 24's once that were 16 spokes front 20 rear and they were quite stiff with a track record of durability. I weight 175 lbs...wheels will be used as a 700c compliment on my gravel bike currently equipped with very stout Enve M60 650B wheels. Will be used to convert it more for winter road duties...probably something like a 32c Schwalbe G-one or other fast rolling hybrid road/gravel tire.

The 350 level hub is not ratchet, but 3 pawl...I think that equates to the 370 hub series. Not a huge concern for me, I've had no issues with 3 pawl hubs in the past.

Spokes are DT Aero Comp (Front) DT New Aero, DT Aero Comp (Rear), weight listed is arounf 1630 grams, which seems pretty decent for a disc wheel at this price.

Internal/external width is 18/23.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2018, 12:43 PM

I had one of the rear hubs fail on me in a unusual way. The flange on the non-drive side came unbonded from the hub center. Spoke tension held everything in place but there was a really annoying noise/creak/pop. The flange would creep rotationally during braking and under pedal load.

DT replaced the wheel and I used it for years without issue.

dave
Old 06-25-2018, 12:45 PM

I don't really know what to make of DT's "110kg max system weight" thing as it appears on multiple rims including asymmetrical ones and those that only come in 28h and 32h drillings. That's just over 240#.

No experience with DT's prebuilt wheels, but there are a lot of them out there so hopefully user feedback is easily found.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:09 PM

I have a pair of the R23's on my road bike, and the R24's are on my wife's bike and I also have a set of the R32's on the wall with road tires on my CX bike.

They're all fine wheels, light enough, spin well, no complaints. Great value for the money, I think I paid around $300 for each set.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Extremely helpful!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:32 PM

Came with my Focus Paralane. Use them on gravel and road. No issues.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 PM

I have 2 sets. They came with both of my Foundry cross bikes. Thus far they have been good for me. Not the lightest but they set up tubeless super easy and have been durable. Great for a training wheelset.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:40 PM