Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 01:33 AM

Bike Shop Recommendation, Tucson AZ

My brother lives in Tucson and recently gave his old hybrid (remember hybrids?) to his son. He wants to do some more riding, and when he walked into Performance and they told him a bike cost $1500 he freaked.

Well, I'd really like to get him on one of those Stanyans from Velo Mine, or more likely a Homebrew, and build it with a bunch of stuff in my garage. I could get him 80% of the way there, but he'd still need a few things and he'd need it all assembled and adjusted, he'd probably need some entry-level fitting advice (seat fore-and-aft, stem length) --where should he go for that? A shop populated and run by humans, not Performance. Competent but down-to-earth staff. A place where Paceliners would go.

Extra points if they take in used bikes and have mountains of beausaged-but-still-serviceable parts. The best of all would be a place like Recycled Cycles in Seattle, if any of you in Tucson have been to that shop.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:48 AM

Recycled Cycles. It's been a long time since I've heard that name. What a great shop.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:03 AM

It may not be the best (pretty high-end) for those specific needs, but the people are great, friendly, expert, active in the community afaik, and will point in the right direction if they can't assist:

Fairwheel Bikes
Retail store location (for Tucson sales/service):
1110 E. 6th St.
Tucson, Az. 85719
Retail store customer service: (520) 884-9018

Warehouse location (for picking up orders placed online):
503 S. Park Ave.
Tucson, Az. 85719
Webstore customer service: (520) 624-3045
Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 AM

Broadway Bicycles

We were in Tucson last month and I rented a bicycle from Broadway.
The rental went off without a hitch.
While we were doing final set up, putting pedals on etc. I got to see how they interacted with a steady stream of customers. Very professional and down to earth at the same time. Would definitely be back if we lived there.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 AM
Registered (ab)User

+1 for Broadway Bicycles, they're good people that have always been very helpful...though admittedly I've never had them service anything.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 AM

Another vote for Broadway Bicycles. I’ve rented from them and gotten great service. Its a little neighborhood kind of shop, staffed by people who ride. I think they would be just right for your brother’s needs.

https://broadwaybicycles.com/
Old 04-17-2018, 07:40 AM

All shops mentioned are worthy. I get my work done at two shops, Fairwheel Bikes on 6th and Transit Cycles at the Mercado San Augustin.

Other suggestions:
Blue Dog Bikes on Campbell north of campus
Ordinary Bikes off of Fourth Ave
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 AM
AZ Slowpoke

There are enough good shops here that there's probably something for everyone. Personally, I like Bicycle Ranch at Ina and Oracle, though they don't seem to be what OP is looking for. A friend of mine swears by RC Bicycles right next to Fairwheel.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:24 AM

Look at this. Just overnight, I get half a dozen suggestions. This place is great! Thanks to all who've responded.

Incidentally (to RWeb) Recycled is going strong. The management has some means of retaining staff, so they've got a lot of people there you'd probably recognize from years back. This is really unusual in bike shops and makes a huge difference. I don't know what they're doing right in there but it's a great outfit.

Last edited by cachagua; 04-17-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
There are enough good shops here that there's probably something for everyone. Personally, I like Bicycle Ranch at Ina and Oracle, though they don't seem to be what OP is looking for. A friend of mine swears by RC Bicycles right next to Fairwheel.
I second the Bicycle Ranch suggestion. Good peeps.